Induction cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, my question exactly!

On other forms of cooktops, aiming high and dialing back as you reach temperature works (mostly). I would think it would be the same for induction.

I'm thinking getting used to induction is going to be like getting used to any new cooking tool -- you have to just use it and learn as you go.

CD

The highest temperature setting will get the oil to temp fastest but you may need to dial it down after that to maintain the desired temp. Since you don't seem to have a temperature setting (such as setting the hotplate to 360ºF), you'll have to experiment with the settings.

I do the same with my gas burners.

Last edited:
The highest temperature setting will get the oil to temp fastest but you may need to dial it down after that to maintain the desired temp. Since you don't seem to have a temperature setting (such as setting the hotplate to 360ºF), you'll have to experiment with the settings.

I do the same with my gas burners.
There is a temp setting. Temps range from 100°F to 585°F and can be set in 10° increments. That was my problem, I guess. I set the temp to 360°F and expected the unit to quickly heat to that temp and then hold it there. Apparently, that’s not the way to go.

There is a temp setting. Temps range from 100°F to 585°F and can be set in 10° increments. That was my problem, I guess. I set the temp to 360°F and expected the unit to quickly heat to that temp and then hold it there. Apparently, that’s not the way to go.

That's confusing. You have discrete temperature settings AND lo, med, high, buttons as well.

I'd set the oil to a higher temperature to heat the oil up to 360 then reduce the setting to 360 and see if it maintains that temp.

What are the other buttons for? "lo, med, etc"?

I have a few old Copco pans (a couple gratin pans, and a grill pan) that are plain CI on the bottoms. They might not make them anymore, but they are out there.
I have a bunch of Copco pans. The company went out of business. The first pans they made did have enamel on the bottom, but they changed to plain cast iron. I actually have one of the older ones with the enamel on the bottom.

I haven't found there was any issue with them rusting. Of course, I don't leave them wet, though I do let them dry in the dish rack. I tried putting one in the dishwasher when I first got a dishwasher. It was rusty on the bottom before it even dried. I never put one in the dishwasher again.

That's confusing. You have discrete temperature settings AND lo, med, high, buttons as well.

I'd set the oil to a higher temperature to heat the oil up to 360 then reduce the setting to 360 and see if it maintains that temp.

What are the other buttons for? "lo, med, etc"?
The “high, medium high, etc.” are all preset temps. You can then adjust the temp with the + - controls. So if I want a cooking temp of 360°, I first press “medium high.” The readout says 375°. Then I press the “-“ button twice. The first tap takes it to 370°, the second takes it to 360°.

The “high, medium high, etc.” are all preset temps. You can then adjust the temp with the + - controls. So if I want a cooking temp of 360°, I first press “medium high.” The readout says 375°. Then I press the “-“ button twice. The first tap takes it to 370°, the second takes it to 360°.

I was curious too so I watched a YouTube video on that exact unit.

View attachment 33887

I don’t see any control to adjust the wattage, unless that’s synonymous with adjusting the temperature.

Would there be a wattage control somewhere other than the control panel?

You have a different one than we do. We have the titanium and there are 3 wattage settings, 600, 900 and 1800 if I remember correctly. I'm currently being held captive by 1 of our pugs so I can't get up and look. The display for the wattage is top left just off center though.

The temp increments are in 5 degrees on ours.

When I fry, I set the temp on the burners about 15-20 degrees higher than what I want the oil temp to be. I haven't used a thermometer to check the exact oil temp, but the frying has gone just fine doing it that way.

I haven't noticed any difference in heating/coking times between carbon steel, cast iron, enameled over CI, or regular induction ready cookware.

Last edited:
You have a different one than we do. We have the titanium and there are 3 wattage settings, 600, 900 and 1800 if I remember correctly. I'm currently being held captive by 1 of our pugs so I can't get up and look. The display for the wattage is top left just off center though.

The temp increments are in 5 degrees on ours.

When I fry, I set the temp on the burners about 15-20 degrees higher than what I want the oil temp to be. I haven't used a thermometer to check the exact oil temp, but the frying has gone just fine doing it that way.

I haven't noticed any difference in heating/coking times between carbon steel, cast iron, enameled over CI, or regular induction ready cookware.
5° increments would be SO much better! I’ve never cooked on a stove top on which I could set the actual temp, and it turns out there’s a HUGE diff between, say, 220° and 230°!

I like the cooker, though there’s a bit of a learning curve that accompanies it!

5° increments would be SO much better! I’ve never cooked on a stove top on which I could set the actual temp, and it turns out there’s a HUGE diff between, say, 220° and 230°!

I like the cooker, though there’s a bit of a learning curve that accompanies it!

Isn't that the nature of cooking and cooking gear? Just play with it for a while, and you will figure it out.

CD

The "temp" settings on induction plates ARE NOT ACCURATE. Not even to within the 25F they usually promise. So if you've set the induction plate to 360F, it is unlikely to actually be heating the CONTENTS OF THE PAN to the temp you set. As opposed to the pan bottom, which is all it can sense - unless there is a separate temperature probe with that model? I don't remember it having one. In fact I don't think I've ever seen any induction plate with a temperature probe.

You should turn it to a higher setting and stand there with an oil thermometer until it gets to the desired temp. Just like a regular cooktop. Adjust the setting until it maintains the proper temp.

Back
Top Bottom