Induction cooktop in a non-gas region

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzard767

Sous Chef
I lived in Wisconsin until I made the move to SW Florida nine years ago. We always had gas cooktops and loved them. This part of Florida does not have natural gas lines so unless you bury a propane tank in the yard you're stuck with radiant electric cooktops. My wife and I hate them. Temperature control is next to impossible and they stay hot (read dangerous) much too long after use.

A few months ago we decided to update the kitchen with stainless steel appliances. After reading up on induction heating we decided to give it a whirl and bought a 36" cooktop with 4 radiant and 2 induction stations. I'm hooked. Induction works almost as well as gas and I guess it's a lot less expensive, especially with rising energy prices. -- don't ask what I paid for the cooktop as I doubt there will be a saving in the long run. :neutral: I avoid using the radiant elements as much as possible.

Anyone else using them?

Buzz

Hello to another Wisconsinite. I, too, grew up in WI cooking on gas. When we moved to Oregon I had to use a smoothtop electric range for about 8 years. Having moved to Bend, OR, I finally got a house with natural gas. I used the junky gas range that was in the house for about a year when we decided to upgrade. I wanted a high-end dual-fuel range, but my wife hated cleaning around the gas burners and wanted to go back to the electric range. After a lot of research we decided to take the plunge and install a 36" Kithenaid induction cooktop. I love it! The power and speed are incredible, and I have great control over temperature. Not to mention, cleanup is a breeze. I will probably never go back to gas again. One thing it does that I wasn't aware of is that at lower powers, you can hear the induction coils turn on and off as it's maintaining the low temps. Does yours do this as well Buzz? I've never actually used another induction cooktop, so I have nothing to compare mine to. Is there anyone else out there who has experience with induction cooktops?

I have not had the opportunity to use induction, but I hate electric as well. MIL had one and swore by it, I could never get the hang off it and was thrilled when we got a place that had a gas stove. Had one ever since.

I was thrilled to get a house with gas again, but the range in the house was horrible. I could barely keep water boiling to cook pasta. My wife couldn't understand why I was so excited to get gas. She didn't understand what a nice gas range would be like. A lot of people questioned our decision to switch away from gas, but most people don't understand what induction is or how it works. Having all the control and power (if not more) than gas, yet cleans up with a wipe of a rag is awesome.

. One thing it does that I wasn't aware of is that at lower powers, you can hear the induction coils turn on and off as it's maintaining the low temps. Does yours do this as well Buzz?

Yes, it's normal.

It seems as if a lot of European commercial kitchens have gone to 100% induction.

I think that one of reasons people have been reluctant to switch to induction is because they are not aware that some cookware other than expensive All-Clad SS works. I bit the bullet and bought All-Clad and love the stuff.

I like the idea of easy cleanup (the one huge drawback to gas is having to remove everything to clean it, plus having to deal with the igniters not always working properly), but does it have a grill/griddle option of some sort?

The cookware was one of the things I looked into before getting the cooktop as well. It's not as bad as people think. SS cookware that works with induction isn't really hard to come by, but anything nonstick is (my wife won't cook with anything but nonstick). Kitchenaid makes a whole line of cookware that is reasonably priced and really nice. I have the 12" and 10" skillets. Someday I'll have my All-Clad. I figure I'll build my set piece by pice over the years. Luckily I had a carbon steel flat bottom wok from back when I had my radiant range. That works fantastic. On the 3600 watt element, it's like having a 20k btu burner under it.

As for a grill or griddle, I'm not sure. I haven't tried either one yet. On the left side of my cooktop I have two medium size elements directly in a row. Since induction heats the pan itself, it would make sense that a nice heavy cast iron griddle or grill would work great. The old griddle I had was made from aluminum so I couldn't try it. I'd like a big griddle some day (I could kick my countertop plug in one to the curb). When I get one, I'll let you all know how it works,

The cookware was one of the things I looked into before getting the cooktop as well. It's not as bad as people think. SS cookware that works with induction isn't really hard to come by, but anything nonstick is (my wife won't cook with anything but nonstick). Kitchenaid makes a whole line of cookware that is reasonably priced and really nice. I have the 12" and 10" skillets. Someday I'll have my All-Clad. I figure I'll build my set piece by pice over the years. Luckily I had a carbon steel flat bottom wok from back when I had my radiant range. That works fantastic. On the 3600 watt element, it's like having a 20k btu burner under it.

As for a grill or griddle, I'm not sure. I haven't tried either one yet. On the left side of my cooktop I have two medium size elements directly in a row. Since induction heats the pan itself, it would make sense that a nice heavy cast iron griddle or grill would work great. The old griddle I had was made from aluminum so I couldn't try it. I'd like a big griddle some day (I could kick my countertop plug in one to the curb). When I get one, I'll let you all know how it works,

So only certain types of non-stick work with the induction cooktops? I guess I never realized there would be a limitation on what kind of cookware you could us with it.
I think I would consider that a drawback, but then again I don't use any non stick for cooking. Mostly I have SS and iron so I guess I wouldn't really run into a problem anyway.
Definitely please let me know, anyone, how an iron griddle or grill works on a induction cooktop. I am looking to upgrade and renovate the kitchen in the next year or so and will need to decide what to go with.
Although, i think I am still leaning toward staying with gas... but keeping an open mind!

Then I think I should stick with gas or at least a combo system. Induction burners since I already use stuff that will work great on them, and a gas side griddle/grill. If I can't do that, then I guess all gas.

Old Controversy

Been cooking w/Gas for 8 years now, ever since we moved into our new home. :chef:

Out of curiousity (and I confess motivated by a few years of Know-it-all & "mildly" opinionated in-laws), before we moved into this home I timed boiling a large pot of water on our old electric Thermador cooktop - which took about 7 minutes. At the new house, our GE gas cooktop big burner did the same pot in 20 minutes. When we upgraded to a Thermador gas cooktop a couple of years later, this time improved to 17 minutes on the big burner. :neutral:

I/we like the gas for control, but it seems there are always other aspects, like so many alternatives that you often have to trade off one thing for another. ;)

I am spoiled, I want it all! It's the future so I should get it. And while I am at it, where are my hovering cars and jet packs???

Pugger, Technically, electric is more efficient than gas, so it makes sense that your electric cooktop was quicker to boil. Since the cooking vessel becomes the heat source, induction is about 85% efficient; whereas gas is about 40-50% efficient. Control on electric is dismal though compared to gas.

Maverick2272 - I agree.....where's my hover car?

Oops. Sorry about that. I should have been clearer with my statement. When I said electric I was thinking radiant or coils. Induction absolutely has better control than electric radiant or coils.

Back
Top Bottom