Induction HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi we are are getting a new kitchen and the hobs will be induction ? Could you explain the benefits to me and is there any induction woks out there as i love to stir fry.

Cheers

Induction combines the benefits of electric ceramic hobs with the controlability of traditional gas hobs.

Pros:
1. As fast and controlable as a gas hob
2. Safe to use especially if young children are around - the zone only heats up when a pan is in place. The rest of the time it is cool to touch even if switched to full power. No potentially explosive fuel required.
3. Energy efficient - only the pan area is heated up and if the pan is removed, the electro-magnetic circuit is broken and heating stops instantly
4. As easy to clean as a smooth electric ceramic hob
5. No combustion byproducts (water vapour and carbon dioxide)
6. Can be used with your existing saucepans provided they have a ferrous metal base. You can test this with a magnet.

Cons:
1. Can't be used with aluminium, glass or other non-ferrous pans.
2. You need to check with the hob manufacturer if you have a heart pacemaker fitted.

You can now get induction hobs designed specifically to take a wok in UK. I haven't posted enough to post URLS but Google "Stoves S7-C900TCiWOK" to see a picture at
www(dot)AppliancesOnline(dot)co(dot)uk
This would be suitable for anywhere with 230v 50Hz electric supply.
I'm sure that there must be equivalent products on the other side of the pond.

In a few years time cooking on gas will be regarded in the same way that using a typwriter instead of a word processor is today.

Thanks for the education SteveP.
But I hope not about the gas stove. I've had electric since moving here, have always hated it and have drempt of going back to gas. (no gas lines here, as water table is so shallow. 3 feet down and you hit water) Propane is not allowed and very unsightly anyway.

flat bottom carbon steel or cast iron woks will work fine. do be careful if you have iron or steel in your hand jewelry. (some "white metal" has been magnetic)
You can get an "induction" disc (carbon steel usually) to put between your hob (burner in the USA) and an aluminum or copper pot (in case you have some you wish to keep using)

Back
Top Bottom