"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Induction Range/Convection Oven

Santa called today. He is leaving a Samsung FTQ307 Induction Range in my stocking. The elves wanted to know if we could leave a large stocking out. The way I have it figured, delivery is the north pole's problem. I don't really care if they actually get it in the stocking or not.

I'm really excited about the stove top. I've been wanting one for years. Our sub-division is electric only. Looking forward to the like-gas heat control.

I'm a little concerned with the convection oven. Never used one and have only seen them from a distance. Any tips to share about convection ovens? What do you like or dislike about them?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a Samsung convection range ( I envy you the induction cooktop!) It cooks really really well. When you set the temp, it will automatically set it 25 degrees lower to compensate for the efficiency of the convection. It also has a "convect roast" which cycles the broiler elements on and off, which is great for getting meat nicely browned and the skin of a chicken nice and crisp, this feature also works well with vegetables.

Mine has a "proof" feature which is awesome for quickly rising bread.

The only learning curve might be that convection will cook a bit faster. Using regular convection, I cooked a 16 pound turkey in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The warming drawer is handy when making big meals.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Santa's helpers brought the new Samsung range today and took away the 12yr old one. Connected with wiring when I got home today.

Brought a gallon of water for pasta to a rolling boil in about 4 minutes. Easy and intuitive to use. Have to say I'm impressed. More later....have to try the melting chocolate without a double boiler trick......

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Santa's helpers brought the new Samsung range today and took away the 12yr old one. Connected with wiring when I got home today.

Brought a gallon of water for pasta to a rolling boil in about 4 minutes. Easy and intuitive to use. Have to say I'm impressed. More later....have to try the melting chocolate without a double boiler trick......

The other was only 12 years old? Barely even used I tell ya.

We are on about 60 years for our stove.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The other was only 12 years old? Barely even used I tell ya.

We are on about 60 years for our stove.
They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Reminds me of the cook top and built in stove and broiler my mum had in a house built in ~1958. The gas stove top (four burners) had one burner with a timer and one with a thermostat. Wish I had that setup here.

Tags
oven