Instant Pot pressure cooker, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, I also have the 6 quart Instant Pot and it is more than adequate for the two of us plus guests. I've had it about three years and haven't found anything that I need that it can't handle..

Seeking out more info on the InstantPot from those that have them?

Mr. Munky had me looking at these on Amazon last night.

My old faithful crock pot had been deemed unfit to use anymore.

The Nija Multi cooker I bought is now unreliable. That was a short lived item.
I used it often. Several times a week. It now shuts itself off.Cooking something over night is out of the question.I don't trust it.

If I bought one it would most likely have to be the 8qt. Living in a house of men, well.... They eat!

I like that it's stainless steel. Other than that I've never used a pressure cooker before. Still on the fence about it. Cooking quantities has me stumped. I do forget to take something out of the freezer for dinner. That doesn't happen often. Mostly when I get really busy. These guys are tough graders. They want a real dinner. Would buying additional insert pots be a wise thing to do?

What's been the pro's and con's with your pressure cookers?

Thank you.
Munky Badger

I got the 6 quart 7-1 Multi-function Instantpot on Black Friday. Amazon had it half price.

I've made yogurt once, pot roast twice and smoked ham hocks for split pea soup. They all turned out fantastic!! I cook for four people and no complaints so far. Just don't fill it above Max fill line and if cooking beans you need to leave extra room because they expand and foam.

I am still experimenting and looking for recipes, tips, tricks and techniques from people who own one of these.

I think if you need to replace an old crockpot unit this is a very good investment due to its multifunctional capacity.

GG has one, she loves it. I am trying to resist, but find myself weakening.

The recommendations are to fill a pressure cooker to no more than 1/2 to 2/3 full, depending on what you are cooking. I don't know how much food you need to make for your army, but keep the capacity in mind.

I bought an eight quart Fagor stovetop pressure cooker, based on ATK recommendations. With 20:20 hindsight, I think I would have been further ahead with an electric. You have to keep an eye on the cooker to make sure pressure is maintained, which can be kind of a nuisance for things with a longer cooking cycle. I gave my daughter an Instant Pot for Christmas, and I'm waiting to hear back on how she likes it.

GG has one, she loves it. I am trying to resist, but find myself weakening.
I would love to get one, but we have had to make a rule - find a place for it before buying it. My kitchen is now so crowded that I would have to get rid of stuff before I bought new stuff. Hmm, that would probably be a good idea.

I'm already looking for space for one of those soft drink machines and a vacuum sealer.

Yes, the nice thing about the IP is that you can pretty much set it and forget it. You can sauté aromatics and veggies to start, then add liquid, meat, beans, peas, and sturdier veggies, then set the timer and let it go. It automatically switches to Warm mode when the time is up. If you want, then you can remove the meat and vegetables and put it on simmer to reduce the sauce.

It's great for any kind of braise, bean and pea soups and stews, hard boiled eggs, and steamed vegetables for a mash or purée.

I haven't tried this, but there's a technique for making pasta and sauce at the same time.

People also do pot-in-pot cooking, where they put different foods in different dishes and then stack them inside the pot, so they cook at the same time but not together.

It's very versatile and there are a few really good websites with recipes and tips.

Yes, the nice thing about the IP is that you can pretty much set it and forget it. You can sauté aromatics and veggies to start, then add liquid, meat, beans, peas, and sturdier veggies, then set the timer and let it go. It automatically switches to Warm mode when the time is up. If you want, then you can remove the meat and vegetables and put it on simmer to reduce the sauce.

It's great for any kind of braise, bean and pea soups and stews, hard boiled eggs, and steamed vegetables for a mash or purée.

I haven't tried this, but there's a technique for making pasta and sauce at the same time.

People also do pot-in-pot cooking, where they put different foods in different dishes and then stack them inside the pot, so they cook at the same time but not together.

It's very versatile and there are a few really good websites with recipes and tips.
Have you posted these links?

I am still new with the IP but I LOVE IT so far!!

I've made mushroom saffron risotto in a regular pressure cooker. I can't wait to use the IP to make it.

I love the fact that this is a multifunction unit.

Last edited:
The one I am still debating about getting for here in MN is the one that is a wet and dry smoker as well as a pressure cooker, etc. I have been hemming and hawing about ordering a similar one to this one: The Only 5-Quart Indoor Pressure Smoker. - Hammacher Schlemmer from Hammacher-Schlemmer out of the Christmas catalogue.

The warranty is what is attracting me. And, the company's reputation.

I have a 7-1 InstaPot and an outdoor smoker at home...I would love to have a wet and cold smoker for in the house...Just have to make up my mind in the next few days so I can order it before I leave for Ontario and play with it...In the meantime, here I use my Mom's ancient pressure cooker. It takes some planning to make sure I am in kitchen when doing things that take longer than 15 minutes. Dawg, I was terrified of the thing for years, but am now totally comfortable with it. I do like the one I have at home better because I don't have to be right there keeping an eye on the regulator and adjusting the burner temperature to hold it at 15 psi.

Last edited:
The one I am still debating about getting for here in MN is the one that is a wet and dry smoker as well as a pressure cooker, etc. I have been hemming and hawing about ordering a similar one to this one: The Only 5-Quart Indoor Pressure Smoker. - Hammacher Schlemmer from Hammacher-Schlemmer out of the Christmas catalogue.

The warranty is what is attracting me. And, the company's reputation.

I have a 7-1 InstaPot and an outdoor smoker at home...I would love to have a wet and cold smoker for in the house...Just have to make up my mind in the next few days so I can order it before I leave for Ontario and play with it...In the meantime, here I use my Mom's ancient pressure cooker. It takes some planning to make sure I am in kitchen when doing things that take longer than 15 minutes. Dawg, I was terrified of the thing for years, but am now totally comfortable with it. I do like the one I have at home better because I don't have to be right there keeping an eye on the regulator and adjusting the burner temperature to hold it at 15 psi.
Wet and dry smoker? Did you mean hot or cold smoker?

It looks really good. If you get it, you will have to let us know what you think of it. I love the idea of being able to cold smoke fish in my kitchen in very little time.

That's what I meant, TL. Blame it on caregiver burn out. I do smoke stuff stove top using a SS wok, foil, etc., but like the idea of being able to smoke cheese...and, I really don't need the yogurt/rice making features...I want to smoke things quickly and in the house. I have to say it is the warranty that is swaying me. I have read reviews where other, less expensive smokers "die" after about a year.

That's what I meant, TL. Blame it on caregiver burn out. I do smoke stuff stove top using a SS wok, foil, etc., but like the idea of being able to smoke cheese...and, I really don't need the yogurt/rice making features...I want to smoke things quickly and in the house. I have to say it is the warranty that is swaying me. I have read reviews where other, less expensive smokers "die" after about a year.

Don't discount the rice feature, it makes steal cut oats fantastic, also any other whole grains.

I've been looking at the same cooker for a while.

Well we did it again.As if I don't have enough toys in the kitchen already :ohmy:
Mr. Munky talked me into (I was really on the fence with this idea) buying the 8qt on Amazon last night. It was $140.00. We also bought the nice steamer rack for it. As a precaution I insisted that we also buy gaskets.
I did that when I bought the Presto canner. Better to have the back up's ready, than to have to stop canning while you wait a week for the new one's to arrive.

He tossed in a few nice cook books for it as well. One that matches the the pressure cooker. And 2 for my tablet. Let Kindle be my buddy.:LOL:

For those that own and use these vessels. I have a few more questions.

1.) Are they heavy enough to stay put in place while your sauteing (sp) veggies or meats? I don't like things that slide while I'm loading them up.
Safety first.

2.) Where can I find additional insert pans (The one's with lids) that fit the 8qt? Amazon only stocked the 6qt. We passed on that.

3.) How well does it braise veggies and meat? Does it get hot enough?

I've been watching videos and doing a lot of reading. Annoyed Mr. Munk a bit. To the point of "If you don't put the order in. I will." He said I was over thinking it. He was right.. Again! :ermm:

It should be here Friday.
Thank you for the help.

Munky Badger.

Dang it, Munky. I'm one inch away from hitting the button. Must resist.

Dang it, Munky. I'm one inch away from hitting the button. Must resist.

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Chanting Munky says...

DO ITTtttt...!

DO ITTtttt...!!

DO ITTtttt...!!!!

See hitting that buy button didn't hurt a bit. Dit it...?

Meet you back here, swapping recipes on Friday...:ohmy::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Instigator Chant Munky...:angel:

Well we did it again.As if I don't have enough toys in the kitchen already :ohmy:
Mr. Munky talked me into (I was really on the fence with this idea) buying the 8qt on Amazon last night. It was $140.00. We also bought the nice steamer rack for it. As a precaution I insisted that we also buy gaskets.
I did that when I bought the Presto canner. Better to have the back up's ready, than to have to stop canning while you wait a week for the new one's to arrive.

He tossed in a few nice cook books for it as well. One that matches the the pressure cooker. And 2 for my tablet. Let Kindle be my buddy.:LOL:

Woo hoo! Congratulations! :clap:

It comes with a steamer rack (aka the trivet), so you may not need another one.

For those that own and use these vessels. I have a few more questions.

1.) Are they heavy enough to stay put in place while your sauteing (sp) veggies or meats? I don't like things that slide while I'm loading them up.
Safety first.

Yes, although the inner pot does spin a bit when you stir. You can hold it still with a pot holder.

2.) Where can I find additional insert pans (The one's with lids) that fit the 8qt? Amazon only stocked the 6qt. We passed on that.

Check your cupboards first. Anything that can go in the oven can go in the IP, on top of the trivet. I also found a metal and a clear glass lid I already have that fit. When you're not pressure-cooking, those are nice to use because they're not as heavy and bulky. The Fat Daddio push-up pan is great for cheesecake, quiche, etc. - get one that's about two inches narrower than the inside diameter of the pot, so you can get it out :) You can use foil as a lid.

3.) How well does it braise veggies and meat? Does it get hot enough?

Absolutely. Does a great job.

I've been watching videos and doing a lot of reading. Annoyed Mr. Munk a bit. To the point of "If you don't put the order in. I will." He said I was over thinking it. He was right.. Again! :ermm:

Check out the websites I posted above. And have fun! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom