Instant Pot pressure cooker, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Taxlady asked me in the dinner thread about my new Instant Pot pressure cooker. I believe it as an early Christmas present to myself on Cyber Monday. It's a 7-in1 multi-cooker and I'm pretty impressed.

Here are the basics, from Amazon: "Works as pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, porridge maker, steamer, saute/browning, yogurt maker and warmer.*

"Built-in micro-processor controlled programs: Soup, meat/stew, bean/chili, poultry, saute, steam, rice, porridge, multi grain, slow cook, keep-warm, yogurt, pasteurize and fermented rice, slow cook for 0.5 to 20 hours. -Yogurt maker function can heat milk for pasteurization and fermentation, making yogurt in either jars or cooking pot for up to 5 liter of milk. -3 Temperature settings for saute, slow cooker and keep warm functions. -Manual keep-warm setting for up to 99 hours and 50 minutes and automatic keep-warm for up to 10 hours."

I've used it for veggie stock, pork stock and for last night's duck soup. I envision using it for Mexican braised meats and chicken and bean dishes. My thought was that I could replace the stovetop pressure cooker my mom gave me, which I rarely use, and my slow cooker with this.

This interests me greatly, GG. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for the info!

Similar to the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker I got a couple years ago, from Chef's Catalog. Love it!

Do you make your charros beans in it, PF? I looked that up after you posted it recently and pinned the recipe. I'd never heard of it before and it sounds yummy.

A friend gave me her stovetop pressure cooker many years ago. It has never been out of the box and resides in the basement. I'm terrified of it.

This sounds like a much more viable option! I know my way around a crockpot!

Last edited:
Do you make your charros beans in it, PF? I looked that up after you posted it recently and pinned the recipe. I'd never heard of it before and it sounds yummy.

Yes! It is great for making beans as it has all the settings. I pressure cook them till tender and then add in the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer. I do it separately, since the beans have a tendency to foam up and clog the pressure valve. It is the perfect size for cooking for two.

tenspeed, I know! I've saved most of Kenji's pressure cooker recipes. There's a Facebook community for the Instant Pot; people talk about making spaghetti and sauce together in the pot, cheesecake, hard-boiled eggs that practically peel themselves, etc. I really need to start using it more.

I bought that same one GG. I had it for more than a year, and never once got it off of the top of the cabinet on the service porch. Feeling both guilty and generous, I gave it to my older son who cooks. I'll have to ask him if he's used it yet and warn him if he hasn't, I want it back.:ermm:;)

I bought that same one GG. I had it for more than a year, and never once got it off of the top of the cabinet on the service porch. Feeling both guilty and generous, I gave it to my older son who cooks. I'll have to ask him if he's used it yet and warn him if he hasn't, I want it back.:ermm:;)

LOL, Kayelle! :LOL:

Thanks GG. That does sound like something I might want. Let us know how it goes as you try more functions.

Cool, jenny! What do you like to make in it?

I've only used it as a rice cooker and a pressure cooker so far. Took a few tries to get the rice right.

I made Thai-flavored chicken stock the other day with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, etc. and was very favorably impressed at how clear it was.

Back
Top Bottom