"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Instant Pot question

I just got my Instant Pot for Christmas. Tonight we got home late, so I figured I'd throw on some chicken thighs. We usually eat around 4 to 4.5 pounds at a time.

I looked for some quick hints and recipes. They all were for cooking 2 pounds, so I browned 2 pounds and and am pressure cooking them for 10 minutes.

It looks like I should be able to do the whole package. 5 little thighs look pretty lonely in there. Can I do more, and would the time go down due to more space being taken up?

Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
I just got my Instant Pot for Christmas. Tonight we got home late, so I figured I'd throw on some chicken thighs. We usually eat around 4 to 4.5 pounds at a time.

I looked for some quick hints and recipes. They all were for cooking 2 pounds, so I browned 2 pounds and and am pressure cooking them for 10 minutes.

It looks like I should be able to do the whole package. 5 little thighs look pretty lonely in there. Can I do more, and would the time go down due to more space being taken up?
I'd sear as many thighs as possible from your package to fill the bottom of the pot.Remove them. If necessary sear another batch.
When they are ready to cook place them on the rack, add your liquid and cook.If it's not done after 10 minutes you could always add time.

If 5 seems lonely.You could always add a couple of potatoes with the chicken.They take about 10 minutes to cook.

Munky.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

If you do a search here for Instant Pot, you will find several threads about it, including several recipes from msmofet.

You can definitely cook more. The recipe I use for chicken-lentil stew calls for cooking thighs for 17 minutes. I've found that 15 works well for me. I don't think 10 will be enough. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Master Chef

I have had my IP for a little over a year now. Here are a few tips of mine.

1. Allow an average of 20-25 minutes to come to pressure for a medium full pot of room temperature food. Frozen food and a full pot takes longer to come to pressure. NEVER fill above MAX full line. Some things take less time to come to pressure, some take longer. Be patient. Some times the pin comes up and takes several extra minutes for the count down to start. That's normal.

2. If you brown/sear in the inner pot ALWAYS deglaze the pot before proceeding with recipe. If ANYTHING is left stuck/browned on bottom of pot it won't come to pressure and will just burn the food. (I learned the hard way)

3. ALWAYS add at least 1 cup of a THIN liquid to pot so it can come to pressure. A thick liquid like tomato sauce will burn. There are exceptions. When I make apple sauce I don't add any liquid because by the time it comes to pressure the apples have given up a lot of natural juice.

4. You don't need to add more time for MORE food. Four pounds of meat/food will cook in the same time as two pounds. It cooks by pressure not the volume. More volume takes longer to come to pressure but once it does it cooks for the same time as a smaller volume.

5. If a recipe calls for a Natural Pressure Release there can be several reasons for this added time.
One is that this extra time is used to finish cooking (sort of like letting meat rest before carving/cutting) especially meats. Another reason can be that a food may squirt out of the valve when you use Quick Release and may spray the area with hot food. Use care when releasing the pressure. Some things that can cause a spray while venting is "foamy" food such as beans. Also the fuller the pot is the closer the food is to the vent and may spray out.

I hope these tips are useful to you.

If you have any questions there are people here who have IP's and will be glad to help/answer questions just ask.

There are several Instant Pot Communities on FaceBook that have been very helpful to me.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thank you, msmofet..

We are cooking our first roast, as I write this...
Tips are appreciated...

Ross
Old 01-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Thank you, msmofet..

We are cooking our first roast, as I write this...
Tips are appreciated...

Ross
You’re very welcome.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I agree. Thank you msmofet. And others who had suggestions.

It did cook the 2 pounds in 10 minutes. I checked with a thermometer. It just amazes me. We did 7 pounds if cubed chicken breast the first time and it cooked in 3 minutes. Crazy.

Tonight is goulash. It's like a hobby or something. Lol.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Master Chef

You're welcome.

I make pot roast, stew and corned beef from raw to fork tender in 45 minutes.

Stuffed artichokes in 15 minutes.

It is amazing!

If you like yogurt you will love homemade IP yogurt.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
Master Chef

Be sure to post your Pressure Cooker recipes.

I put "Instant Pot" in the title of my recipe threads so it is easy to search.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
Head Chef

Here are links to pressure cooking time charts:

https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cook...ure_cooker.php

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/p...cooking-times/

Just a clarification. Pressure cookers cook faster because they operate at higher temperatures than cooking at atmospheric pressure. Water boils at 212 F (sea level, anyway), so things can't get any hotter until the water boils off. Stovetop pressure cookers generally operate at 15 psi above atmospheric pressure, where water boils at 250 F. Electric pressure cookers generally operate at 12 psi, where water boils at 244 F. Electric pressure cookers require slightly longer cooking times than stovetop pressure cookers.

If you quickly release the pressure, cover the valve with a kitchen towel to contain the steam.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instant pot