"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

In case you ever wondered about the '18/10' designation:

Regarded as highly durable and practical for cooking utensils and cutlery, 18/10 stainless is a chromium alloy steel containing 18% chrome and 10% nickel.

It is the chromium that prevents rusting of the steel, while the nickel allows a brighter, more durable rust-resistant luster. The higher the nickel content, the brighter the metal and the better the quality.

18/10 stainless steel was invented in Sheffield early in the last century and is almost immune from corrosion, acids and strong detergents.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
Master Chef

Thanks Andy. I am certainly not a metallurgist and didn't know the exact properties of stainless, or even stain resistant steel. I did know that nickle plays a large part, and that not all stainless steel contains chromium. I suspect that my Croma Chef's knife is probably high in chromium. But I didn't know why.

Agian, thanks for filling in the blanks.

Oh, and the magnetic induction part of my post was correct. My feld of expertise is Electrical Engineering. I just had to have a few physics classes on the way to my degree. And they touched on metalurgy a bit, along with a whole bunch of other things. You know how physics is. It concerns more than a single person could ever hope to understand. But you get a good basic understanding of a bunch of stuff.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

I suspect that the stainless "look" in non-professional appliances is a fad. After many years of living with such color fads as avocado green, a weird brown color that looked burned around the edges, salmon pink, turqoise, black (talk about impossible to keep clean), almond ... well I've decided to stick to white. I can always find another appliance that matches it. My kitchen tends to be cold (physically, not emotionally) in this house, so I've avoided steel, marble, or stone features that would make it have a colder "feel". I really don't want my kitchen to feel like an industrial kitchen. It's all a matter of taste. And taste will always go in and out. So get something you truly like, then don't care what is in style.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

p.s. I always love the practical information that people like Andy and Goodweed come up with!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

When we remodeled 3-1/2 years ago we went with black appliances and a white with dark speckles Avonite (solid surface) countertop (with light maple cabinets and red oak hardwood floor). Like the look and, unlike Claire, I find the black MUCH easier to keep clean than white.

We were adamantly against stainless (even the sink is solid surface integrated into the countertop)... just like a warmer feel to our kitchen. It is where most of our impromptu social gatherings seem to end up, and we just feel like the commercial kitchen look is not as homey and comfortable.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:18 PM   #16
Master Chef

I'm wanting to buy stainless steel appliances for our next house. I'm curious.....do they scratch easily? If so, how do you get rid of them?
Is it true to prevent finger prints you whip them down with olive oil? That just doesn't sound right to me.
I already have my ideal kitchen stored in my memory bank.............now I just need my own kitchen to remodel.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 PM   #17
Head Chef

Sizz,

This information is based on stainless brew kettles (converted 1/2 barrel kegs). To clean out burnt sugars (big black nasty messes on the bottom of the kettle), I use a nylon brush attachment on my drill. It leaves bunches of scratches. After a quick boil with vinegar and water, and left to air dry, within a day or two you can't tell.

The stainless will re-passivate (An oxidized layer that helps make stainless non-reactive). I'm thinking a good scrubbing and a wipe with vinegar, and you'll hardly notice a scratch.

John
Old 11-29-2005, 07:40 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Stainles is wonderful, it does not scratch easily and if it does get a scratch a few light rubs with a SOFT scotch pad will blend it in. I get rid of finger prints the old fashioned way: stainless cleaner and a soft cloth I would never spread olive oil or any other oil on my applainces
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #19
Senior Cook

WD40 is used to clean stainless steel kitchens on some TV shows to get rid of the fingerprints on non-food surfaces.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMeg
WD40 is used to clean stainless steel kitchens on some TV shows to get rid of the fingerprints on non-food surfaces.
WD40 and Duct Tape...is there anything they can't do?