"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Is stainless a fad?

I'm curious if stainless steel appliances are just a fad like so many of the other "pretty" colors that have made their way into kitchens over the years.

I've seen plenty of baby blues, browns, yellow, even brown appliances. Will stainless steel be frowned upon the way those colors are now?

Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I hope not, in my fantasy kitchen (that exists in my head, I've mapped out my dream kitchen with the attention to detail some people only ever give to their weddings) just about all the appliances would be stainless steal (and or chrome).

I love the look, to me it's a very clean (lol, I know that finger prints show so easily, so that's sort of an ironic statement) and elegant.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Stainless has been a staple in professional kitchens because of it's durability and ease in cleaning. Because of the surge in popularity of the food industry in general, it's only natural that many people would want their own personal kitchens to try and mimic a real professional kitchen for as much as possible. The equipment is a lot more widely available that it was several years ago, and will most likely continue to increase. For instance, you will probably find a lot more high-end type knives (JA Henkels, Wustof-Trident, etc.) in home kitchens today than you would've just a few years ago.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

A lot of people who aren't foodies will buy stainless because it's "pretty" and they like the "look". I suspect that's a fairly high percentage of the sales. For these people, it is a fad and will fade when the next "hot" color comes along.

Actually, If I could get the range I wanted (high output, six burners, etc) and it didn't come in stainless, I'd still buy it. But my dream kitchen is stainless - everywhere.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i hope not since we're doing our kitchen in stainless steel.
it's so much easier to keep clean imo
Old 08-16-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I have to agree with ironchef. Almost all professional equipment is stainless, those that aren't are usually some neutral grey color, or black. To me, stainless is the color I expect in a kitchen. It's easy to clean, and holds up well.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

I believe stainless will last becaue of its durability, and versatility. That is, its useful and hard to mess up. Unlike porcelin, which used to be used in a lot of kitchen sinks, it doesn't chip, it has no paint to peel, and it resists corrosion. Once you purchase stainless steel, it just lasts and lasts. For cooking appliances, it isn't the be all-end all. But it has a place and gives good all around service. I think in this day of high prices, and gimicks that just don't work, people are beginning to realize that quality is far more important than is the latest fad or gimmic. Stainless steel has been around forever, but is pricey compared to the cheap appliances that are available. That's why it's taken so long for consumers to become aware of it. But now that they, or we have, I think it's here to stay.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Hers a bit of trivia the better the stainless steel the less it has the ability to hold a magnet.Dont know why.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Stainless is here to stay, just like white appliances never went completly out of style, stainless will always be with us. It is clean looking, easy to clean, does not fade, chip or stain.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Master Chef

Stainless steel is an alloy of mostly steel and nickle. Nickle is a naturally magnetic metal, but when combined with steel becomes non-magnetic. When the nickle concentration in the metal become large enough, the steel has less ability to be magnetized, and in fact, becomes more resistant to magnetic fields. It is also the nickle that gives the metal its "stainless" property. The steel, and carbon in that steel, give it its strength and durability.

Pulsing magnetic fields still generate eddy currents in stainless steel. Those currents moving through the natural resistance of the steel create heat in the metal. This is what makes induction stoves work. They generate a pulsing magnetic field into all metal pans, heating through the electrical flow of eddy currents in the metal. When the stove surface is cold, you can take your hand and place it on a fully energized "burner" and feel absolutely no heat. But if you are searing any metal on that hand, say a ring, it will get hot in a hurry and cause severe burns. The process of creating electrical current in metals by subjecting them to strong, dyanmic magnetic fields is caled induction. It's how generators make the electicity you use in your home, and how the alternators in you car create electicity as well. Hence the name, induction stove.

I know, I got a bit off topic, but just wanted to share some info.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote