"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Is there such thing as a Slide-In Double Oven?

I am looking for a slide-in double oven - not to be confused with a free-standing range. The difference is a slide-in doesn't have the back part that goes against the wall - it looks more like a built-in cook top. In particular, I like the ones by GE and Kenmore that have the glass/ceramic cooktop. Does this exist?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you mean something like this that is flush with cabinet fronts?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Andy M. - I wish! The one I am looking for is free-standing and slides the cut out but does not have the "backsplash" of controls, the cooktop is flush with the counters. Thanks for looking for me though!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have a stove like you're talking about...got it from Sears, and it's a good one! I love the glass cooking top...no more burner pans to clean. I suggest you take a trip to your closest Sears store, and check out what they have.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Head Chef

I would research all the different types and this would let you know what is out there and the prices.

I must say that I like glass tops.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks Constance and shpj4. I have been researching the internet as well as calling stores. I want a gas cooktop but on the grates rest on the ceramic cooktop. I want it to be a slide in so the top is flush on my countertops with nothing against the wall so while looking down on the cooktop it looks built in. I have found this - two models, Kenmore and GE. The hard part is that I also want a double oven. This type of stove, to my knowledge, does not offer a double oven. My question is why? Why can a slide-in range have a double oven but a slide-in with this type of cook top not? It doesn't make sense.

Stainless Steel w/Black Kenmore Elite 30 in. Gas Self Clean Slide-In Range with Convection Cooking
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Cook

Glass/ceramic tops are cool. Just keep in mind that a/ It's still electrical so you don't have the heat control you have on a gas range; b/ wipe your pots and pans before putting them on the heat so you don't burn anything into your ceramic plate (especially things like salt, sugar, milk,...) and be careful with anything spilling over the top c/ if you previously had a gas range, chances are you'll have to buy new pots and pans.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Glass/ceramic tops are cool. Just keep in mind that a/ It's still electrical so you don't have the heat control you have on a gas range; b/ wipe your pots and pans before putting them on the heat so you don't burn anything into your ceramic plate (especially things like salt, sugar, milk,...) and be careful with anything spilling over the top c/ if you previously had a gas range, chances are you'll have to buy new pots and pans.
That is what is so cool about this - the cooktop is gas, the grates sit directly on the glass cooktop so it is almost as easy to clean as an electric cooktop. You can get the stove to be electric or gas, which I hear electric ovens are better. The only problem is I want a double oven.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have a stove like you're talking about...got it from Sears, and it's a good one! I love the glass cooking top...no more burner pans to clean. I suggest you take a trip to your closest Sears store, and check out what they have.

I think that someone else here bought that stove as well.

But be aware. The oven isn't all that big. That was the complaint of the owner.

~Corey123.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
That is what is so cool about this - the cooktop is gas, the grates sit directly on the glass cooktop so it is almost as easy to clean as an electric cooktop. You can get the stove to be electric or gas, which I hear electric ovens are better. The only problem is I want a double oven.
Ohhhhh I see what you mean now. I misunderstood your post. Ok, forget about most of what I said then. In fact I'd love to own one myself... If only I could get my landlord to lay 15 ft of natural gas piping in the kitchen