ISO a Potato Masher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2oct

Assistant Cook
I searched the forums for recommendations for a potato masher but didn't find any. Will someone please recommend a potato masher that is cheap and user-friendly? I have tennis elbow and need something ergonomic and effective for making mashed potatoes. Crate & Barrel sells one that i've never seen before; it's an Oxo metal one that is covered in silicone.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/search.aspx?query=potato+masher&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Submit
Is it a good one to get?

In terms of handles, should i get one with the handle like this Oxo masher or the masher with a traditional vertical handle? Which is more ergo? Thanks for the advice!

The Crate & Barrel one is almost identical to the one I have. I love mine, but I've had it for almost 38 years. I've tried other types of mashers, but the configuration of the "holes" on the one I have seems to work best for me. I've tried the ones with the "S" looping design, but didn't like them. As for the handle design, I can't offer any opinion. Mine has the traditional vertical handle.

Thanks for your feedback, Katie. I agree the S loop one doesn't look very effective. I guess i'll test both handles to see which one requires me to twist my arm too much. Does your masher have simliar "holes" to this Oxo masher? thanks.

I actually use my hand mixer. If I'm making a big batch I'll use my stand mixer. I used to use ricers for ages but got tired of them. Beat the heck out of them long enough with a mixer and you'll get a good product.

Riced potatoes are good for absolutely lumpless potatoes, but one thing I've found is that when you reheat riced mashed potatoes they tend to get a bit thin - not runny, but not the substantial mashed potato feel that I like.

I have one similar to the crate and barrel one. I've had it for about 25 years and it's getting a little wobbly so I have been keeping my eye out for a replacement. Tried the "S" one - didn't like. I have a potato ricer but sometimes I don't feel like messing with it when I'm so happy with the results of my regular masher.

Humm .... what you use depends on the texture you want.

If you want a coarser texture you would want something like the "S" shaped wire masher, or a German potato masher, or even a blade type pastry blender (the wire type pastry blender would depend on the stiffness and strength of the wire - some are so flimsy you can't even blend pastry with them). If you really like some lumps - you could use a french fry cutter.

For a finer texture you can use a potato ricer, or press the taters through a coarse sieve, or use a food mill with the coarse plate. You could also use a box grater, or a food processor with the grating plates.

"Plate base" mashers with round, square or diamond openings, like the Oxo at C&B, can give you an "in between" texture depending on how you use them.

Of course, what you get using an electric mixer depends on speed and time - anywhere from coarse smashed to creamy whipped.

That OXO masher looks good - certainly easier to use with that horizontal "pastry dough cutter" type handle than the same type with the vertical stick handle.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I like my mashed potato with just some lumps. I will do a little shopping around and test these options.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom