ISO A Simple Electric Meat Grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked through the archives. I'm wondering if anyone has more recent recs. Don't have a KA, as I'm not a baker.

I'd like a simple machine, preferably electric, to grind my own burger and sausage. I've tried the food processor, but results were kinda lumpy/mushy/inconsistent.

Sorry, I missed seeing this.

Thanks PF! I went ahead and ordered the very highly rated Cabela Pro. On sale and free shipping!

A new toy!

Thanks to all for the responses!

Let us know how it works. If I were looking at a new grinder I might consider a manual one, but a big honking manual. I don't mind a little electric one, but if I am supplying the power I want a large handle for lots of torque.

Try - LEM.com. It really doesn't pay to get a "cheap" one. As they are sort of a work horse type of michine. Plus you can get attchments to make sausage, jerkey etc.

Meat Processing Equipment | Sausage Making Supplies | LEM Products is the grinder and stuffer people. I have their vertical stuffer and I am thrilled with it.

That's the only thing I miss on my meat grinder: a sausage feed tube. It's so old now that I doubt they have parts for it any more. I should check.

I checked, the sausage stuffer attachment is no longer available. :(

If it has a standard size you might find someone that sells a compatible tube, but even though the grinder sizes are standard the mouth of the output seems to be slightly varied. A 1/16 of an inch might, or might not, make a difference in seating.

Was it just the tube or was there more to it? Mine you put the tube between the ring and the grinder plate...

You don't have a spacer? Most of the grinders I see have a spacer (or a really large holed plate) so you aren't trying to put meat through those little holes again.

It's more the time setting it up and cleaning than than it is worth for such a small amount. That and I have to set up a space for the mixer on the stove and work in very limited space. Maybe if I had a nice kitchen where I could keep my mixer on the counter it would be easier to tolerate.

I leave my mixer out. If I didn't it wouldn't get used. Too much work carting it around and it can be unhealthy for toilets to move them too much. :mrgreen:

I have debated if I want something with more capacity for grinding, but right now I don't really seem to do more than is comfortable with the KA. I figure about a pound a minute and the most I have done at one time is 15 pounds. I wouldn't be able to process much more than that in our kitchen.

I leave my mixer out. If I didn't it wouldn't get used. Too much work carting it around and it can be unhealthy for toilets to move them too much. :mrgreen:

I have debated if I want something with more capacity for grinding, but right now I don't really seem to do more than is comfortable with the KA. I figure about a pound a minute and the most I have done at one time is 15 pounds. I wouldn't be able to process much more than that in our kitchen.

I need to find an accessible, permanent home for my mixer. I've been having a tough time lately hauling it back and forth. I need a little cart like Gadzooks has, but, I don't know where I'd put it.

When I start mixing in the bathroom...we know we've outgrown our space:innocent:

I got a nice island from JC Penney's years ago. It has flip up/down wings, and I store all my microwave/9x13/crockpot stuff in it. Beagle lost her "cookie" underneath it, so she did chew off a couple of the bottom corners, but it suits our needs, and we can roll it around.

Princess, if you saw my kitchen you'd laugh. I have my mixer cart and that three ft X 20 inch X six ft. tall wire baker's rack on the window side, a 30 inch gas stove at the end and a counter split by a sink about five feet long on the other, book-ended by a fridge, with a two foot aisle between. Cabinets over and under the sink, and almost all the pots and pans on a wall-mounted rack over the stove (no vent hood). The baker's rack doubled my storage and counter space, I think. When I took a picture of the mixer cart I had to move a folding director's chair out of the way. There aren't normally any empty spots. I wish I had a kitchen I could cook and eat in. *sigh*

Last edited:
Princess, if you saw my kitchen you'd laugh. I have my mixer cart and that three ft X 20 inch X six ft. tall wire baker's rack on the window side, a 30 inch gas stove at the end and a counter about six feet long on the other, with a two foot aisle between. Cabinets over and under the sink, and almost all the pots and pans on a wall-mounted rack over the stove (no vent hood). The baker's rack doubled my storage and counter space, I think. When I took a picture of the mixer cart I had to move a folding director's chair out of the way. There aren't normally any empty spots. I wish I had a kitchen I could cook and eat in. *sigh*

I have 4 feet of counter space. One foot on each side of the stove and one foot on each side of the sink. I have two 5 foot tall wire shelving racks in what would be the dining room to hold my appliances. The only thing plugged in all the time is my rice cooker at one side of the stove. Three foot x five foot space to walk and move in and the back door opens into that space. I built a box that fits over the stove for when I need to use my mixer.:rolleyes:

My new toy came today! The formerly skeptical DH is very excited too, and offered to run to the store for chuck roast! I hadn't even gotten it out of the box....

It looks similar to yours, Charlie, but with a stainless steel housing. It's very sturdy and well-made. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

Last edited:
My new toy came today! The formerly skeptical DH is very excited too, and offered to run to the store for chuck roast! I hadn't even gotten it out of the box....

It looks similar to yours, Charlie, but with a stainless steel housing. It's very sturdy and well-made. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

Sitting by the pool eating chocolate covered cherries?:rolleyes:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Sitting by the pool eating chocolate covered cherries?:rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO: I hope so! If it's 68° and raining like it's supposed to be, maybe not! 'Twill be a fine day to grind meat!

:ROFLMAO: I hope so! If it's 68° and raining like it's supposed to be, maybe not! 'Twill be a fine day to grind meat!

Have fun! I just hope it's decent bike riding weather, I don't mind the wet, but I do mind if it's cold and wet.

Oh, witch one did you get?

CharlieD said:
Oh, witch one did you get?

This:
It's the Pro from Cabela's

image-3906377712.jpg

Thanks! Looking forward to burger and sausages. Any other ideas for stuff to grind would be much appreciated!

This:
It's the Pro from Cabela's

View attachment 13829
That looks very similar to mine. I figured out that I didn't have the feed grinder thingy properly attached when I was trying to stuff casings. My trick was to put everything together, turn it on, look down the feed tube, and if the thingy was turning, I got it right. And, I put all the metal parts (not the motor) in the freezer overnight and the meat in for at least 30 minutes before grinding. And, I hope he doesn't come back with 40 lb. Go easy the first time! I kinda over did it...

Back
Top Bottom