"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Got one of these for Christmas one year. Jr got one for his college dorm. His mom must have been a) nuts and b) buy one get one free.

Is it the inside of the sandwich that is soggy/ steamy??. Mayo, pickles, pickle relish/ will cause some condensation inside. Change to a different filling. Cheese works. The sandwich maker seals them quite tight. I always butter or use a little bit olive oil on the outside and it gets brown and crisp like a toasted cheese sandwich. I actually don't use the sandwich maker. A cast iron pan that is already sitting on the stove works just fine.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Executive Chef

forgot the picture -is yours somewhat like this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandwich.png
Views:	135
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	16743  

Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Senior Cook

yes ....thats it. it seems that the sandwiches no matter what i make comes out like its steamed. I thought bec. of the pocket or wells the steam gets stuck in there and that might be why it is the way it is. (but not sure). with the G. F. grill it doesnt seem to be like that. Back to a question how does steam create crispy brown crust ?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Steam does not cause a crisply brown crust. You want the steam to not form or escape before browning can occur. Are you cooking at the lake or in a boat? There should be no water / steam forming. Tip that thing upside down and shake it.

My Waffle Iron sends steam out the sides as it cooks waffles. Is that what you are seeing in your sandwich maker. A little steam is good, it aids in the cooking and it escapes. When my waffle maker is done steaming, the waffle is cooked and is brown and crispy. That is what your sandwich maker should do too. Also, a little light goes out, but I don't trust that, as my waffle maker is really old.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Senior Cook

just tried it again ....grill cheese sandwiches. I left them in longer and it still seems like part of the sandwich thats in the pocket, the bottom of it just doesnt taste like a grilled sandwich more along the lines of what i call steamed. (soft) Really all of the sandwich really seems soft with a little brownness. But on the G F grill its much better. I closed the lid on both and like i said the G F grill is much better . I really dont understand the difference.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd guess the sandwich maker traps the steam so it stays in there and softens the sandwich. With the GF grill, the steam easily escapes and the sandwich crisps.

I'd put the sandwich maker away and just use the GF grill.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Master Chef

I have a sandwich maker just like the picture and it doesn't create steam at all. Maybe it's the sandwich maker. I only butter the inside of my sandwich and leave them in till the outside is golden brown and my sandwiches come out crisp every time. Also heating the unit for a few minutes before use helps.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Senior Cook

i used the G F last night to make hamburgers and notice they didnt brown any, when i did the sandwiches on here they did,is this the way its suppose to work? some things brown some dont? Meat just seem to be just a gray color.
why sandwiches brown but not meat?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Does the GF have different settings?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Senior Cook

no . it just has a lid u put down on the food . no settings. could it be that the unit is more steaming which would not let the meat brown.( just a thought)

Tags
sandwich