ISO advice using a sandwich maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to owning a GF grill. I wouldn't expect great results with it to be honest. Never heard good things about them, one being that they don't brown foods very well.
I'd say get yourself a nice panini press that can double as a countertop grill and shelve the GF grill and sandwich maker. Breville makes a good one with a temperature dial and I've had extensive use with it. It will even brown mushrooms which are about 90% water. No steaming action there! Not sure about their cheaper models though,.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BGR2...id=1357311525&sr=1-6&keywords=breville+panini

Last edited:
There's a lot more moisture in meat than in bread, and the GF likely doesn't hold its heat well enough when meat goes on it.

Last edited:
just tried it again ....grill cheese sandwiches. I left them in longer and it still seems like part of the sandwich thats in the pocket, the bottom of it just doesnt taste like a grilled sandwich more along the lines of what i call steamed. (soft) Really all of the sandwich really seems soft with a little brownness. But on the G F grill its much better. I closed the lid on both and like i said the G F grill is much better . I really dont understand the difference.

I have a GF Evolve, & had a sandwich maker/snack maker long ago. Never had a problem with steam on either. I used nonstick cooking spray on the latter, per manufacturer's instructions. The GF has a temp control, where the heat can be adjusted. I would try to exchange or return the sandwich maker.

I have a Cuisinart Griddler (same type of thing as a GF). It comes with flat and ridged interchangeable plates and has different settings for different foods. It does a good job cooking and browning burgers. They're done in about 4-5 minutes.

why would the GF brown the sandwiches but not the meat?

The simplest answer is, they are two different appliances intended for different uses. The "steam" can be caused by placing frozen or cold food in the appliance, improper heating element, or it is malfunctioning.

I cooked a steak on the GF. First, I bring it to room temp. Let the appliance heat up. I drizzle/smear a little worcestershire sauce over the steak. It took a few minutes to cook, & came out perfectly. Best rule of thumb, is to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Hope that helps.

i was reading different subjects on this site. and found this comment..
jennyema
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs88
The thing is, I want it to taste like a restaurant steak. I'm from Toronto so if you have ever been to a nice steakhouse here, something like that.

I need really specific instructions as I dont cook steak often such as how long should I leave the steak out of the fridge before grilling and so on.

So there is no need to do the marinating process I was saying? I have some other rub that says to leave it on for 30min, I might try using that as well as some dry seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so far.
Good steakhouses dont marinade or gunk up the meat with a rub. Especially a nice cut of meat.

They salt their meat and cook it at high heat. Sometimes they add a compound butter at the end.

Sorry to say but you will never get anything to taste like a steakhouse using a George Foreman "grill." It mostly steams whatever its cooking.

Try GB's method or plain salt and pepper with a hot skillet if you want more of a restaurant style steak.

By the comment the GF grill ."it mostly steams whatever its cooking".would it be wrong to call sandwiches made on here" steam" sandwiches, or any food here steamed........ ? Would that wrong ?

sandwich maker

i took both the appl. back. The lady at the store told me as long as you get any contact grill you will always have the issue of steam food. She said bec. of the top lid coming down you are trapping moisture.....result steam cooking . She even pointed out waffles irons same thing. She also stated only reason get the grill marks is bec. you butter or oiled it before putting it in the appl. Better off to get a open grill pan. Is her thoughts on this true?

i took both the appl. back. The lady at the store told me as long as you get any contact grill you will always have the issue of steam food. She said bec. of the top lid coming down you are trapping moisture.....result steam cooking . She even pointed out waffles irons same thing. She also stated only reason get the grill marks is bec. you butter or oiled it before putting it in the appl. Better off to get a open grill pan. Is her thoughts on this true?

I am happy with my Griddler 'contact grill'. I prefer it to a grill pan.

is there any truth in what she said? I dont know from the appl. i had if they were working properly. But i really dont like steamed sandwiches and thats what i felt i had from the two i had.

As I said earlier, when you cook, there is always steam present (as long as the cooking temperature goes over 212ºF). You're cooking foods that contain moisture. That moisture will be turned to steam during cooking and it will escape.

That cannot be avoided.

That is not steaming food.

Steaming food involves a completely closed container such as a pot with a lid and a separate source of steam that does not come in contact with the food.

What you should get from a GF grill or any other brand is well browned foods. A little steam coming out of the food is not something you should even think about because it's always there even if ou cook food in an pen skillet over high heat.

thank you . but i realized that there is steam coming from food when cooked and steaming is the process u mention. I think what the lady was getting at is when the steam doesnt escape like on some appl. she showed me .you will end up with food that from there juices steam it bec. the steam doesnt escape.

since we are talking about appl. Why is it when u use a crock pot and cook a whole chicken the top turns out brown even if u never browned it before or afterwards.

thank you . but i realized that there is steam coming from food when cooked and steaming is the process u mention. I think what the lady was getting at is when the steam doesnt escape like on some appl. she showed me .you will end up with food that from there juices steam it bec. the steam doesnt escape.

With an appliance such as the GF grill, there is a gap between the grill plates around the entire perimeter of the appliance. Plenty of room for steam to escape.

To repeat, that's a smaller amount of steam from the foods' internal moisture, NOT much more steam from a separate steam source such as boiling water below the platform the meat is on.

My mom has a panni press and it makes the best crunchy outsides!! I wonder if your putting to much stuff like dressings or moister rich veggies in the sandwich and so when it cooks that water goes to the bottom making the bread wet.

i am looking to get this one Breville Smart Grill & Griddle, Model # BGR820XL. but someone also mentioned the Cuisinart too, same price. any thoughts? Mom says do i really need one couldnt i just use things i already have, heavy pan on top for panni press, i already have a griddle,but dont have a grill pan. Now i am really thinking this over?

Last edited:
I have used a brick wrapped in foil before when making grilled sandwiches. My mom is sending a panni grill to me (same as hers) and it should arrive today. I will look at it and see what brand it is. I know that you can unfold it and it can be a grill also.

I have the Cuisinart Griddler with reversible cooking grates. I mostly use the grill grates, even for sandwiches ( I like the grill marks). I love it. It has temperature controls to allow for different foods.

I have also worn out several of the sandwich makers from frequent use in making my lunches in my classroom at school. Unless I put too much butter/oil on the the outside of the bread, stuffed the sandwich with too wet ingredients or didn't let the sandwich maker warm up enough, I always had nice crispy bread. I even made stuffed french toast in it. Yum! I also like to "fry" leftover pasta in the sandwich maker to get a nice crispy crust like baked mac-n-cheese. It brings out the oils in the cheese from the pasta and leaves the maker oily but I just wipe it out with a paper towel. It seasons the heating plates, although none of the paperwork suggested they needed seasoning.
If your bread is soggy, try letting the maker heat up longer so you put your sandwich on a good hot surface. Don't use too much butter (I used butter flavored cooking spray) - it has to let the liquid from the butter cook off before the bread can crisp. If your ingredients are wet, ignore the light on the machine and let it cook until you like the way the crust looks.

All good ideas Cinder. I may have to dig out my sandwich maker from the Cupboard of Important Appliances and Dangerous Instruments. I think I quit using it because I used to burn my tongue on molten cheese and didn't find any other use for it. It deserves a 2nd look.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom