"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Welcome to owning a GF grill. I wouldn't expect great results with it to be honest. Never heard good things about them, one being that they don't brown foods very well.
I'd say get yourself a nice panini press that can double as a countertop grill and shelve the GF grill and sandwich maker. Breville makes a good one with a temperature dial and I've had extensive use with it. It will even brown mushrooms which are about 90% water. No steaming action there! Not sure about their cheaper models though,.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BGR20...reville+panini

Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Wow, we'll stick to our panini press.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
Senior Cook

why would the GF brown the sandwiches but not the meat?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
Sous Chef

There's a lot more moisture in meat than in bread, and the GF likely doesn't hold its heat well enough when meat goes on it.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
just tried it again ....grill cheese sandwiches. I left them in longer and it still seems like part of the sandwich thats in the pocket, the bottom of it just doesnt taste like a grilled sandwich more along the lines of what i call steamed. (soft) Really all of the sandwich really seems soft with a little brownness. But on the G F grill its much better. I closed the lid on both and like i said the G F grill is much better . I really dont understand the difference.
I have a GF Evolve, & had a sandwich maker/snack maker long ago. Never had a problem with steam on either. I used nonstick cooking spray on the latter, per manufacturer's instructions. The GF has a temp control, where the heat can be adjusted. I would try to exchange or return the sandwich maker.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a Cuisinart Griddler (same type of thing as a GF). It comes with flat and ridged interchangeable plates and has different settings for different foods. It does a good job cooking and browning burgers. They're done in about 4-5 minutes.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
why would the GF brown the sandwiches but not the meat?
The simplest answer is, they are two different appliances intended for different uses. The "steam" can be caused by placing frozen or cold food in the appliance, improper heating element, or it is malfunctioning.

I cooked a steak on the GF. First, I bring it to room temp. Let the appliance heat up. I drizzle/smear a little worcestershire sauce over the steak. It took a few minutes to cook, & came out perfectly. Best rule of thumb, is to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
Senior Cook

i was reading different subjects on this site. and found this comment..
jennyema
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs88
The thing is, I want it to taste like a restaurant steak. I'm from Toronto so if you have ever been to a nice steakhouse here, something like that.

I need really specific instructions as I dont cook steak often such as how long should I leave the steak out of the fridge before grilling and so on.

So there is no need to do the marinating process I was saying? I have some other rub that says to leave it on for 30min, I might try using that as well as some dry seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so far.
Good steakhouses dont marinade or gunk up the meat with a rub. Especially a nice cut of meat.

They salt their meat and cook it at high heat. Sometimes they add a compound butter at the end.

Sorry to say but you will never get anything to taste like a steakhouse using a George Foreman "grill." It mostly steams whatever its cooking.

Try GB's method or plain salt and pepper with a hot skillet if you want more of a restaurant style steak.

By the comment the GF grill ."it mostly steams whatever its cooking".would it be wrong to call sandwiches made on here" steam" sandwiches, or any food here steamed........ ? Would that wrong ?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
Senior Cook

sandwich maker

i took both the appl. back. The lady at the store told me as long as you get any contact grill you will always have the issue of steam food. She said bec. of the top lid coming down you are trapping moisture.....result steam cooking . She even pointed out waffles irons same thing. She also stated only reason get the grill marks is bec. you butter or oiled it before putting it in the appl. Better off to get a open grill pan. Is her thoughts on this true?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
i took both the appl. back. The lady at the store told me as long as you get any contact grill you will always have the issue of steam food. She said bec. of the top lid coming down you are trapping moisture.....result steam cooking . She even pointed out waffles irons same thing. She also stated only reason get the grill marks is bec. you butter or oiled it before putting it in the appl. Better off to get a open grill pan. Is her thoughts on this true?
I am happy with my Griddler 'contact grill'. I prefer it to a grill pan.

Tags
sandwich