"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO advice using a sandwich maker

i received a sandwich maker and also a George forman grill. when the lid is closed on both of these there is a lot of steam coming from the unit and also when i open the lid ( you can notice it i should say)......is this normal?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes. There is moisture in foods that is cooked off in the form of steam when it gets hotter than 212F.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

that is what i thought. wanted to be sure. Is there any way on the sandwich maker you can avoid having a kind of soggy sandwich? Probably not,but thought i would ask. thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The steam you see will not make the sandwich soggy. It will be browned and crispy.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Cook

i have wells in the unit and i thought ....the steam generated was caught in there and that is why my sandwiches came out soggy or steamed like. How is it the steam makes it crispy and brown?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Is the sandwich maker similar in design to the GF grill? Not sure what it looks like. Can you post a link or photo.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Senior Cook

i have two sandwich makers....one has 4 triangle type shapes....sort like pockets and the other unit is just like the George foreman grill. I will look for some pictures.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Cook

i cant seem to get the pictures to load. but like i said one is very similar to the GF and the other has pockets or wells where the bread sits and it actually cuts the bread into 4 triangle peices. thanks ...how does the steam make it crispy and brown? thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I have no experience with a sandwich maker.

The GF grill should not produce soggy sandwiches if it's working properly and you're following directions.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Master Chef

While I don't have personal experience with the sandwich maker you describe, I wonder if you are letting it cook long enough? I know when grilling sandwiches if I turn them too soon, the bread is soggy but leave them longer and it toasts up nice. It might be you're opening the maker too soon.

Tags
sandwich