ISO best vacuum sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarrisonHo9

Assistant Cook
so i'm looking for a vacuum sealer and doing some research it seems as though the food saver is the way to go. reading some reviews it also looks like some people are having some problems with the food saver lasting them more then a year, with regular usage. i was just wondering what the experience has been with the food saver, and if there are any other products out there that are reliable and do a good job to boot.

thanks any help is welcome

I have had 3, and the only reason I had 3 is that I keep upgrading to a nicer model. I love the foodsavers and it is one of the best and most useful kitchen appliance purchases I have ever made. The two I replaced were in tip-top working order when I gave it away. And I use mine alot!

Just make sure you follow proper precautions to prevent fluid intake thru
the vacuum ports.
And be sure to take care of the foam seals, too.

I have to tweak mine now, but it still does OK.

Hey... Christmas is coming! oooh...

I use a food saver when I'm packaging large amounts at a time. If it's a single package I use the Reynolds HandiVac. Happy with both!

I have a foodsaver and a handivac. Honestly, the handivac gets more use. Just so very convenient and quick. I am more comfortable reusing the foodsaver bags, so, it is probably less expensive to operate. The handivac is great if you will be opening and closing a bag in the freezer or fridge. I also like that I do not have to plug handivac in, just grab and use.

AC

I have 2 Food Savers and I love the brand. I tried the Daisy Seal-a-Meal and didn't like the way it sealed. The Food Saver is far easier and does a great job of sealing. This is the largest selling brand in the country so they must be doing it right. :)

I have a foodsaver and a handivac. Honestly, the handivac gets more use. Just so very convenient and quick. I am more comfortable reusing the foodsaver bags, so, it is probably less expensive to operate. The handivac is great if you will be opening and closing a bag in the freezer or fridge. I also like that I do not have to plug handivac in, just grab and use.

AC

Ditto what AC said.
I can't even remember the last time I used my FS. I use the handivac almost daily. I really like that you are not making the bag shorter everytime you want to get something out of it like with the FS. They need to come up with a different bag sealing system that you can still vaccum.
Oh wait, Reynolds already did :LOL:

I just googled the Handi-Vac and it looks like a pretty nice little gadget. How does it measure up to vacuum sealing against the FoodSaver for long term freezer storege? Does it hold the seal as well? What do the bags cost and how are they sold - by the yard like FS or individual sized bags? For $9.95 I may look into it for my RV.

I have a foodsaver that is about 6 years old or so. It gets used multiple times a day every day. I have never had a problem with it. I was on a vacuum saving forum a while back. 99% of the people on there had foodsavers and many of them were 20 years old or older with no problems. The people that had other brands constantly complained of problems.

DQ - the bags look like Zip Locks. You can open them the same way as a Zip Lock. I have never had one loose vacuum in the 6 months that I have had one. I am not sure of cost per bag, which is why I said that FS mey be cheaper per bag. I tend to put things that will be used all at once in FoodSaver and things that I will open, use part of and reclose in Handivac. I use haddivac for a lot of refirgerator stuff, Tomatoes, lettuice cheeses, etc. When I make and patty hamburger, I individually wrap the aptties and put them in handivac bags, take out what I need and revacuum. Same with hot dogs and some fish filets. the bags come in quart and gallon, like Zip Locks.

I understand that when Handi Vac first come out there were problems with bad bags and maybe the vacuumer. Mine has been rock solid.

As I said earlier and this may be hard to describe, the FoodSaver bag is a two piece bag and when you cut the end off, you can wash the bag and reuse. I tend to write on the end that gets cut off the date that it was frozen. The Handi Vac is actually a three piece bag. The outsides are similar smooth plastic t the Zip Lock. Indide one fo the sides, covering half of the side is a ribbed panel, like FoodSaver. In one corner, is a little blue circle which makes a valve. This is where you apply the vacuumer. Should some sort of liquid, like meat or fish juice get between the ribbed panel and the smooth plastic, it is difficult to clean out and I do not reuse the bag in that case.

Hope this helps

AC

AC

I love my FoodSaver. Got it for Christmas three years ago and use it several times a week. Since I'm moving to Florida next week and DH will stay here for a few months, I'm using it to freeze some of his favorite meals.

wow thanks for all the responses. i think i'm gonna try out the handivac. cheap, portable, and works pretty well, i like it.

thanks again and i'll let you know how it goes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom