"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Executive Chef

The meat grinder also is a waste of money.

As I said in my post above, it's better to get a Food Processor to handle most of the work of those attachments.

About the only accessories that I would trust are the extra work bowls, the water jacket and mixer covers, all of which I have.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post
Pasta attachment - you need three hands to use it as the strands of pasta stick to each other. else you have to flour the heck out of them as they come out.
If they stick together, the dough isn't right.

I looked at those when I bought my manual pasta machine. For one, the manual one is cheaper and you don't need to lug out the whole mixer first. It's also nice not having to hear the motor whine while your making it. No matter what contraption you use, the method of feeding the dough and rolling it out is the same.

With the manual one, I can crank out fettuchini like nobodys business.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
The meat grinder also is a waste of money.

As I said in my post above, it's better to get a Food Processor to handle most of the work of those attachments.

About the only accessories that I would trust are extra work bowls, the water jacket and mixer covers, all of which I have.
Ground meat and food processed meat are pretty different. I read the meat grinder attachment can ruin a mixer. Again, I would opt for a manual one.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Ground meat and food processed meat are pretty different. I read the meat grinder attachment can ruin a mixer. Again, I would opt for a manual one.

Thus why I said that it's a piece of junk. I was a victim of it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
meat grinder attachment

Well, my KA meat grinder has worked pretty well for me. I've made 3 batches of sausages, grinding 15 # of meat and then stuffing the sausages and the machine worked beautifully. I am one vote positive for this attachment.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Appliances

No matter which appliance you buy. To get the most use out of it, it has to be accessable! On the counter with in easy reach.
Close to a electrical outlet.
Store an appliance in a cabnet, under the counter, overhead cabnet, in a drawer and it will fall into disuse.
Want to buy a pasta maker?

Hungry
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 AM   #17
Master Chef

My best suggestion is to read the manual for any attachment before you buy it - and see if it will do what you want it to do.

If you use the Food Grinder Attachment (FGA) according to the instructions I don't see how there would be any liquid leaking into the mixer. I've used mine for about 7 years ... ground probably more than 200-lbs of meat, and made more than 50-lbs sausages using the sausage stuffer accessory (SSA) with no problems. But, I followed the instructions.

I have the Pasta Roller Set (KPRA) and haven't had a problem with it - but I follow the rules I learned from Italian cooks on TV - after you mix, knead, and roll your dough let it rest and dry a bit before you try to cut it with the pasta cutter attachments (otherwise it doesn't cut clean and will stick like crazy). FWIW - Those are also the instructions you'll find with most hand-cranked pasta makers like the Atlas or Imperia/VillaWare.

I got the Mixer Attachment Pack FPPA (food grinder FGA - see above, Roto Slicer/Shredder RVSA, and the Fruit and Vegetable Strainer Parts FVSP that work with the FGA food grinder). I've used the RVSA for grating cheese, carrotts, onions - grating cabbage, slicing vegetables, etc. with no problems. Although I will admit I've never tried to use it as a mandoline to slice cucumbers. I wanted to use the fruit/vegetable strainer for something a few years ago but it thrued out that what I was wanting to do was a no-no according to the instructions ... bummer ... so that has never been used.

I also have the Pasta Maker Plates (SNPA) which, after reading the instructions, I've never used. Maybe someday I'll try it ... but since it stresses the mixer to extrude the pasta ("NOTE: Mixer must rest at least 1 hour after extruding 2 consecutive pasta dough recipes") - I've never been that eager to try it. But, it should also be noted that dedicated extruder machines have similar restrictions/limitations.

If I lived in Southern California, South Texas or Florida where fresh oranges were cheaper than bottled/frozen concentrate juice - I would seriously consider the Citrus Juicer (JE) - but for the limited number of times I need to juice fresh citrus each year it's not a financially feasible option.

I can not for the life of me think of why I would need to buy the Can Opener (CO)!

IMHO - there is nothing wrong with the KA attachments - as long as you read the manuals and understand their uses/limitations before you buy them. Are there better options? Yeah - maybe.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I am with Michael in FtW on this,
I own a KA mixer (lift-bowl type, I think is the 600 series) and I have a Food Grinder.
I used this accessory several times without any problems, I have not experienced the leakage mentioned previously.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I have an old KSM103 model (whatever that means) Before buying a big stand alone grinder, I almost wore out the grinder attachment from grinding so much meat. No major problems to report. The mixer itself is as good as ever.

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
Master Chef

I use FGA all the time and I love it. I could not have survived in the kitchen without one.
I've had it for some 12-13 years now never had any problem with either the mixer or the grinder.