"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO comments/feedback on KitchenAid mixer attachments

Starting a new thread for attachments only.

Which ones do you like? and which ones do you hate? Are any worth getting?

Problems I've heard: (though I don't have personal experience as I've yet to purchase my KA 600!)

Pasta attachment - you need three hands to use it as the strands of pasta stick to each other. else you have to flour the heck out of them as they come out.

Grain Grinder - have to grind it three times - coarse first, then finer on subsequent grinds. or you can burn up your machine. (what's the point of getting it then as it costs $130 and I can get a quality grain grinder at Lehmans.com for $190 with cast iron burrs.)

Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Food grinder attachment.

I didn't like it at all. It leaked liquid into the mixer and the transmission had almost seized!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Food grinder attachment.

I didn't like it at all. It leaked liquid into the mixer and the transmission had almost seized!
Corey-
is that the one that will grind meat into hamburger?
just double-checking.

if it is, darn! that was one of the first attachments I was going to get!!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes it is, I'm afraid.

I had it on the K-5SS first. Then when I heard the motor begin to labor, I immediately turned the machine off.

I still was only halfway done, so I put the thing onto the smaller K-45SS to finish the job.
That mixer didn't bog down. It held up nicely. Nevertheless, I returned it anyway. Didn't want to take any more chances with it.

Luckily though, the K5SS has since rebounded back from certain death and works beautifully now! It would have cost me $125.00 to have it fixed, but it fixed itself, so I didn't send it out for repairs at all.

Electric grinders now have a reverse feature to keep them from getting bogged down and into trouble. Sorry to have bursted your bubble.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Cook

figures!
thanks for the feedback, Corey.

well, the attachments were one of the reasons why I wanted a KA in the first place. I know they're still a better mixer according to quite a few on here, on a homesteading forum, by CI,.....so, I still plan on getting one. It's just irritating to find all this out about the attachments also.

Shredder/Slicer Attachment - have not heard any problems with this - but don't see the point if you already own a food processor. which I do.

Which doesn't leave that many more attachments to pick from....
Pasta rollers
Ice Cream Maker
Juicer

Am I missing any?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

You're welcome!

How about the mixer covers? Though they don't perform any mechanical functions, they DO help protect the machine from dirt, dust and grease. I got one for each mixer. One size fits all.

And believe it or not, that's why I wanted a K'Aid stand mixer in the first place! Not to mention its proven track record, quality and reputation.

I think that K'Aid Stand Mixers are wonderful!

However, I just don't think that they are putting as much care, quality and workmanship into their attachments, as I think they leave much to be desired, to say the least.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef

We also forgot about the can opener. I had that once, but it got stolen.

And then there's the water jacket. But that accessory is for bowl-lift models only. And the fruit strainer.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I think you''l find more than a few people do not think too highly of the RVSA attachment. Bout the only luck I've had with it is for grating large quantities of hard Italian cheese. I've seen KA staff on the KA forum saying it doen't slice cucumbers well, which is interesting since they have a picture of a cuc on the RVSA box. The chrome plating on mine is poor and the cutters are not very sharp.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Executive Chef

If you have a food processor, you'll find that it can do most the things that those ill-fated attachments can do, and better.

So I've decided to use the food processor to do the work of those items. It also helps save you money in the long run, because why bother with all those attachments and have no place to put them?

About the only things a processor can't do is mill grain, open cans and strain fruits. But everything else possibly conceivable can be done with it, such as chop and grind meat for burgers, slice veggies and fruit, shred carrots and cheese, even whip egg white and heavy cream. It can even crush ice to make slush, a cool refreshing fruit-flavored treat for the kids in the summer!

Your processor will work hand-in-hand with your K'Aid Stand Mixer, regardless of the mixer model that you have, and it will pay for itself in time. It only cost pennies to operate, since you are not running the motor for long periods.

Because it helps you save tremendous prep time in the kitchen!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

The ice cream maker is a waste of money.
I love the meat grinder for pates. I wish the hole were bigger though.