ISO comments/recommendations for an induction cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a single-eye induction cooktop/unit. There have been a number of times recently when one would've been handy and I can see the usefulness of having one when summer arrives.

I've looked online at any number of sites and read quite a few reviews for various ones on Amazon. A comment that consistently comes up is the noisiness of the fan/blower on many of the units. I'm not a good "noise" person, so that would definitely bother me. Although, no reviewer has defined the noise, just that it seems to be rather loud.

So....for those of you who have such a device as I'm considering, please offer your pros and cons and educate me.

Bumping this up because I've done some more homework and have determined that a unit with 1800 watts is what will be the best fit for us. Beyond that, I would love more information from those of you who have a portable induction unit.

Induction Hobs

Bumping this up because I've done some more homework and have determined that a unit with 1800 watts is what will be the best fit for us. Beyond that, I would love more information from those of you who have a portable induction unit.

Katie, We bought an induction hob some years ago -- first induction we'd ever had. Ours branded Kenwood but I suspect some Far Eastern exhibition model branded. The top plastic soon started to break (not the glass pane, but the plastic surround). I have taped round with insulating tape...I'm allowed to as I was a trained engineer ;) but don't try this at home, children.

Induction is a brilliant method. Superior to gas by far however this Kenwood has fairly coarse steps where they really matter, the final three steps so it is very hard to get a frying pan just right....I have to constantly flick the control with my thumb or raise the pan. Still very useful and sits next to our large gas range-cooker. If you can, try the one you want for a weekend before you buy.

Katie, I remember seeing a test of induction burners on ATK within the past six months. They cautioned that all burners are not created equal and some took a very long time to bring their pot of water to a boil. You'd have to go to the website to find the name of the recommended burner.

Katie, I remember seeing a test of induction burners on ATK within the past six months. They cautioned that all burners are not created equal and some took a very long time to bring their pot of water to a boil. You'd have to go to the website to find the name of the recommended burner.

Wow, finally some replies. I thought my thread had gone to the great beyond.

Thanks, Andy, but I don't have a membership so I can't see what ATK discovered in their tests.

I haven't purchased a unit yet, still trying to determine which would be the best one.

Gosh, Lemain, I would love to be able to "test cook" one before I purchase but that's not an option here. It would be great, though.

Thanks, Andy, but I don't have a membership so I can't see what ATK discovered in their tests...

I think you can sign up for a two week trial membership for free.

If not, maybe someone has a membership and can look it up for you. (Hint, Hint)

Thanks, Andy, but I don't have a membership so I can't see what ATK discovered in their tests.

I haven't purchased a unit yet, still trying to determine which would be the best one.

Gosh, Lemain, I would love to be able to "test cook" one before I purchase but that's not an option here. It would be great, though.

Hope this is ok to post (If not please remove admin): From ATK

RecommendedMax Burton Induction Cooktop

This top-performing burner boasts user-friendly push-button controls and a large cooking surface that heated pans evenly. It boiled water nearly as fast as a gas range.

$124.25Viking Portable Induction Cooker, Professional Series

This was the Cadillac of our lineup: big and expensive, but well-designed and the fastest at boiling water. Its dial control was similar to a gas range, making it quick and easy to adjust temperatures.

$499.95

Not recommended: Fagor Portable and Magneflux Boilerplate
Recommended with reservations: Infinite Circulon and Waring Pro Professional

We installed a 4 burner Samsung induction stove / convection oven range this past December.

Each of the burners has a power boost function. The large 13" burner can boil a gallon of water in under 4 minutes.

Since the induction method heats the pan directly, the pan gets hot very quickly. On my old stove I would often set up a pan to pre-heat while I chopped ingredients. With the induction system I've found it helpful for all ingredients to be "mise en place" when I turn on the burner. The new stove changed the rhythm of cooking and introduced a bit of a learning curve.

You mentioned "fan noise" as a factor. In our case, the new stove is as much high tech electronics as a cooking tool. Anytime the stove or oven is used the stove automatically goes into a cooling cycle when you power it off. The range runs a fan in "bursts" of 1-2 minutes for a couple of hours after use until the electronics are cool. This was a bit annoying at first, but hardly noticeable now that we are used to it.

In our all-electric neighborhood, the induction stove gives me back the control of a gas range. Instant on instant off. Even heat across the entire bottom surface of the pan. Results have been worth the effort of learning to use the new system.

Hope this is ok to post (If not please remove admin): From ATK

RecommendedMax Burton Induction Cooktop

This top-performing burner boasts user-friendly push-button controls and a large cooking surface that heated pans evenly. It boiled water nearly as fast as a gas range.

Thanks, Merlot. The Max Burton is the one I have discovered has good feedback about. I'm leaning seriously in that direction.

I've been saving points and I can get it at Amazon for about $40, with free shipping. I may just do that tomorrow.

I recently saw one at a show, and it took water from a pitcher sitting on the counter to a boil in about 18 seconds once the pan was set on the stove. Talk about a FAST cup of tea! I am doing more research into this cooking method, as the propane stove wanes in the winter (low pressure), and makes a lot of kitchen heat in the summer.

I'm glad this thread was brought forward as I'd forgotten that I'd posted.

But, to update, I did purchase the Max Burton unit and I'm very pleased with it. I'm especially happy because it became invaluable when I was water-bath canning earlier in the season. Boy, oh boy, I'll use it again for that purpose!

Definitely a two thumbs up!

Back
Top Bottom