"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
ISO comments/recommendations for an induction cooktop

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a single-eye induction cooktop/unit. There have been a number of times recently when one would've been handy and I can see the usefulness of having one when summer arrives.

I've looked online at any number of sites and read quite a few reviews for various ones on Amazon. A comment that consistently comes up is the noisiness of the fan/blower on many of the units. I'm not a good "noise" person, so that would definitely bother me. Although, no reviewer has defined the noise, just that it seems to be rather loud.

So....for those of you who have such a device as I'm considering, please offer your pros and cons and educate me.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Bumping this up because I've done some more homework and have determined that a unit with 1800 watts is what will be the best fit for us. Beyond that, I would love more information from those of you who have a portable induction unit.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Induction Hobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Bumping this up because I've done some more homework and have determined that a unit with 1800 watts is what will be the best fit for us. Beyond that, I would love more information from those of you who have a portable induction unit.
Katie, We bought an induction hob some years ago -- first induction we'd ever had. Ours branded Kenwood but I suspect some Far Eastern exhibition model branded. The top plastic soon started to break (not the glass pane, but the plastic surround). I have taped round with insulating tape...I'm allowed to as I was a trained engineer but don't try this at home, children.

Induction is a brilliant method. Superior to gas by far however this Kenwood has fairly coarse steps where they really matter, the final three steps so it is very hard to get a frying pan just right....I have to constantly flick the control with my thumb or raise the pan. Still very useful and sits next to our large gas range-cooker. If you can, try the one you want for a weekend before you buy.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Katie, I remember seeing a test of induction burners on ATK within the past six months. They cautioned that all burners are not created equal and some took a very long time to bring their pot of water to a boil. You'd have to go to the website to find the name of the recommended burner.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Katie, I remember seeing a test of induction burners on ATK within the past six months. They cautioned that all burners are not created equal and some took a very long time to bring their pot of water to a boil. You'd have to go to the website to find the name of the recommended burner.
Wow, finally some replies. I thought my thread had gone to the great beyond.

Thanks, Andy, but I don't have a membership so I can't see what ATK discovered in their tests.

I haven't purchased a unit yet, still trying to determine which would be the best one.

Gosh, Lemain, I would love to be able to "test cook" one before I purchase but that's not an option here. It would be great, though.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Does single-eye mean just one "burner"?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Thanks, Andy, but I don't have a membership so I can't see what ATK discovered in their tests...

I think you can sign up for a two week trial membership for free.

If not, maybe someone has a membership and can look it up for you. (Hint, Hint)
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:

Thanks, Andy, but I don't have a membership so I can't see what ATK discovered in their tests.

I haven't purchased a unit yet, still trying to determine which would be the best one.

Gosh, Lemain, I would love to be able to "test cook" one before I purchase but that's not an option here. It would be great, though.
Hope this is ok to post (If not please remove admin): From ATK

RecommendedMax Burton Induction Cooktop

This top-performing burner boasts user-friendly push-button controls and a large cooking surface that heated pans evenly. It boiled water nearly as fast as a gas range.

$124.25Viking Portable Induction Cooker, Professional Series

This was the Cadillac of our lineup: big and expensive, but well-designed and the fastest at boiling water. Its dial control was similar to a gas range, making it quick and easy to adjust temperatures.

$499.95
Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow! Huge price differences.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Not recommended: Fagor Portable and Magneflux Boilerplate
Recommended with reservations: Infinite Circulon and Waring Pro Professional