"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Question ISO feedback/observations w/slow cookers

My wife recently purchased a slow cooker, I guess they are just like a crock pot. I feel these type cookers remove the flavor from what ever your cooking, and it now sits in the broth, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what or how to use them for a great meal, with any type of meats?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Executive Chef

In my case, I use my crock pot for making wonderful soups, stews and gravies. I also use it for braising roasts in preparation for shredding in making BBQ. It is used quite often... about once a week, for one meal or another.
I contend with your remark about crock pots removing the flavor of their contents. To be honest, that's not true. A crock pot is a counter top ceramic oven, most useful when creating dishes that contain a lot of liquid, but not exclusively. I have baked small roasts in mine while I was away from home most of the day.
I believe that the more use a crock pot gets, the more uses will become apparent as time goes on.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
...I feel these type cookers remove the flavor from what ever your cooking, and it now sits in the broth, but I could be wrong...

You're not wrong.

Cooking meats and vegetables in a liquid extracts flavors from those meats and vegetables into the liquid. That's how you make soups, stews and braises.

BUT

This is true if you make your recipe on the stove top or in the oven, as well as a slow cooker (crock pot is a brand name for the Rival slow cooker).
Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Slow cookers

I make a little pork roast that has slivers of garlic poked into slits. It's then slow cooked almost dry, with just a bit of soy sauce on a bed of sliced onions. Always turns out good.

I love my slow cookers, and use them a lot.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the key to using slow cookers successfully is to recognize that they can overcook food, just like traditional cooking methods. Some recipes call for cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 6 to 8 hours. No matter how much liquid is in the pot, cooking it that long will dry out the meat. But it's great for chuck roasts, pork shoulder roasts and bone-in dark meat chicken, which benefit from long, slow cooking.

And remember to use the liquid to make sauce or gravy! That way, you don't lose the flavor and nutrients it contains.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I make a little pork roast that has slivers of garlic poked into slits. It's then slow cooked almost dry, with just a bit of soy sauce on a bed of sliced onions. Always turns out good.

I love my slow cookers, and use them a lot.
I did a pork tenderloin once dry in my slow cooker. I couldn't belief how tender and juicy it was. I put it on low and went off to work. I rushed home as this was the first time I left it working and I was gone all day. There were no fire engines in front of my home. I made a pork gravy with McCormick's help and boiled some potatoes. Poo and I had a delicious meal that night. I have done that more than once since then. And I have improved on it. Like you, a bed on onions makes a big difference. But no liquid. The onions do give off a slight amount of liquid.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, it's amazing how tender it turns out.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Pork tenderloin in a crock pot?

I just can't imagine that, but maybe that's just me.
Pork tenderloin is the Filet Mignon of the pig. I sure wouldn't do a beef tenderloin in a crock pot either.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I had the same thought, Kayelle.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Shocked me too, but it's really good.

Tags
cook, slow cooker