ISO feedback re self-cleaning ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
Reading something in one of the threads made me think of this question...

When I used the self cleaning option on my stove I noticed it produced fumes... fumes that covered the whole house. It was the first time I used it and the stove is only a few months old. I actually had to open all the windows and leave the house for a while. There was no smoke just a strong, fumy smell. Is that normal??

I don't have that problem and I've had our current oven for over 15 years. Although I don't remember what it was like the first time I used the self-cleaning feature.

Having said that, I think what you experienced was a "burning off" of some of the initial manufacturing residue. This happens with many appliances and, in fact, some of the instruction manuals warn of this happening.

I can't offer further information but, if this continues to happen, you might want to contact the manufacturer of your oven.

My instructions say to remove the racks and loose particles before cleaning. There are some fumes but not enough to be a bother. I always turn on the vent and that is enough. I like to do the cleaning when the weather is cool since I can open the windows and not have the kitchen too hot.

I don't have that problem and I've had our current oven for over 15 years. Although I don't remember what it was like the first time I used the self-cleaning feature.

Having said that, I think what you experienced was a "burning off" of some of the initial manufacturing residue. This happens with many appliances and, in fact, some of the instruction manuals warn of this happening.

I can't offer further information but, if this continues to happen, you might want to contact the manufacturer of your oven.

I could not remember where I put my instructions..I may have thrown them away, lol. I thought it may be from first time use but it was just sooo strong. I wasn't sure.....

I didn't remove the racks or any loose particles so maybe that had something to do with it. I've been kind of afraid to use the self cleaning option since this happened. But I probably need to so I see if it was just a first time thing.

Thank the both of you for your response..:)

You might be able to download instructions for your oven from the manufacturer's Internet site. I've done that with many appliances. It might be worth a try.

I've done that once for a tv I purchased. Didn't even cross my mind to do it for my stove (smh). Thanks much!!:)

Fumes have to be either from Mfg. residue or your cooking residue. Depending on how dirty your oven is, you will get some amount of smell/smoke every time you clean the oven. That's the function of the self-cleaning feature, to burn off any spills. Gonna get smoke when you burn stuff in an oven. Can't be helped.

If you don't have a exhaust hood over the oven that vents outdoors, get a fan that fits into the window closest to the oven and put it on full blast blowing out while cleaning the oven. Open a door or window at the other end of the house to provide a draft.

Fumes have to be either from Mfg. residue or your cooking residue. Depending on how dirty your oven is, you will get some amount of smell/smoke every time you clean the oven. That's the function of the self-cleaning feature, to burn off any spills. Gonna get smoke when you burn stuff in an oven. Can't be helped.

If you don't have a exhaust hood over the oven that vents outdoors, get a fan that fits into the window closest to the oven and put it on full blast blowing out while cleaning the oven. Open a door or window at the other end of the house to provide a draft.

It definetly did it's job. It turned a few spots of burned on food to dust.
I think the next time I use it, I will have a fan directed at it so more of the fumes with go up into the venthood.

...I think the next time I use it, I will have a fan directed at it so more of the fumes with go up into the venthood.

That will just blow the smoke all over the place. Is your vent hood venting outdoors or back into the kitchen?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom