ISO help/tips for selecting a bread machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovestoeat

Assistant Cook
i'm thinking of getting a bread machine. has anyone used to one before? what can it make? bread? pizza dough? pie crust? anything else?

I have two bread machines, both made by Welbilt and I love them. Use them all the time since I bake all the bread products we eat in our house. It's not unusual for both of them to be on at the same time.

I make loaf bread, pizza dough, dinner rolls, breakfast rolls (such as cinnamon), sandwich bread, Italian bread, baguettes, hamburger and hot dog buns, you name it.

However, I use my bread machines to knead my doughs and put them through the first rise. That's called the DOUGH cycle on my machines. Once the machine is done with the dough, I shape and bake as I please. I don't know how I got along before I had my machines.

As far as I know, pie crust isn't made in a bread machine. Although, there is a cookbook, out of print I think, called Desserts from Your Bread Machine. I have a copy of the book and it is filled with all sorts of creative ways to make yummy desserts in the machine.

Good luck with your search. There will, no doubt, be other members who will weigh in on your question.

IMHO - a bread machine is only good for making yeast breads - and yes, pizza dough would fit that class of bread dough. For these you want to develop the gluten.

For cakes, cookies, quickbreads that call for creaming the fat (butter/shortening) alone, or with the sugar, a bread machine will not do that. For these - use a mixer.

Pie crusts, and similar pastry shells, will also not work because the dough will be over worked, the gluten too developed, and will turn out as tough as cardboard. For this - use a food processor.

Anything a bread machine can do, your two hands can do =b.

But in my experience bread machines are only used to make yeast breads. Quick breads, I'm actually not sure about, but you usually don't need to use a bread machine if you're only making muffins or scones or other quick breads.

Any other good brands out there that I should be looking at that is mid-range in price but does a good job?

I bought my first Welbilt bread machine, on sale, for about $30. It has a variety of features and is more than enough for my needs. I bought the second one, in next to new condition, at a thrift store for $2.

Actually, that reminded me. You might want to check your area thrift stores for bread machine bargains. I see them in my area thrift stores frequently.

If you find a nice one for a bargain price, you will have spent very little money and discover if you will really like having a bread machine. However, I wouldn't be without mine. I was a believer after I used it for the first time.

A bread machine is not something you buy for yourself. It's almost exclusively givien to you as a gift, most likely wedding or anniversary.

A bread machine is not something you buy for yourself. It's almost exclusively givien to you as a gift, most likely wedding or anniversary.

I'm sure there is some reasoning in there somewhere :huh:

Well, I bought one for myself. So I guess I won't need to get married anytime soon. :wacko:

Does that mean you'll be sending me one for my birthday, Caine?;)
img_580491_0_90d8591688ad8e67e1e83d7750120e7e.gif

I recently bought a Panasonic after my 14 year old Panasonic met its final resting place. I think it does what I what very well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom