ISO info/advice on slow cookers/crock-pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2belucile

Senior Cook
My sister and I are thinking of sending for a SLOW COOKER. As we cannot get one here where we live, I would like to know about them: do you use them a lot, are they REALLY useful, or something you use only one time and forget about it.
Any information will be very useful, and greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all sugestions and counsel about them.

Lucia

They are a very useful kitchen tool for many people. Soups, stews, pot roasts, broth making etc. can be set up and cook all day safely while you are at work or otherwise engaged. A friend of mine makes stock at night while sleeping! I think you will get lots of replies to your question.

It depends on the type of person you are and what you like to cook. I love my crock pot, but I do not use it a ton. I probably use it 10 times a year at most. For those 10 times though I am very happy I have it. Some foods work great in it and others not as well. I think stews, chili, and soups are perfect for them. I have never had chicken dishes come out well, but that could be because I was using boneless white meat. I bet if I used bone in dark meat I would have a different outcome.

They generally take up a lot of space so consider that when deciding to purchase one.

Thanks, Robo and GB- Thanks for your answers.
Yes, we like to cook stews, and beans, and things that need to be cooked long time. GB said something about space: that´s something that we have to consider, but if it is necessary, we will get it. We have a rice cooker, but I dont think is the same. Could it be used the same? or is only for rice and steamed veggies?

The only kind I have ever owned has been Rival. They are the makers of the Crock Pot. All other brands are known as Slow Cookers. I have no complaints about my Rival with the exception that the lowest setting is not low enough, but that is true of any modern slow cooker. They started making the lowest setting a bit higher due to safety concerns.

I have a Rival Crock Pot and I love it. I received it as a gift about 15 years ago and it is still going strong. I use it a lot in the fall and winter to make soups and stews and in the sping and summer it is creat because I don't have to stand ove the stove or always turn on the oven.

The only kind I have ever owned has been Rival. They are the makers of the Crock Pot. All other brands are known as Slow Cookers. I have no complaints about my Rival with the exception that the lowest setting is not low enough, but that is true of any modern slow cooker. They started making the lowest setting a bit higher due to safety concerns.

i don't use mine much anymore for that very reason. i get good to better results in my dutch oven. :cool:

Finally we got the slow cooker, tomorrow we will begin to use it, as I want to make something during the daytime, to see better how it works. All the ingredients are ready to make a wonderful and delicious chicken.......mmmmm....
......... Thanks to all of you for the information given, and have a nice weekend!

Crockpot user

I hope that you enjoy using your brand-new slow-cooker as much as I do. I use my RIVAL crockpot mostly for stews and soups.:chef:

I love just tossing in a frozen chicken or parts, along with whatever vegetables may be available -- put veggies on the bottom and chicken on top if you want more of a roasted chicken since the veggies will keep the chicken out of the liquid that is generated and let it cook all day.

Just make sure any "spare parts" inside the chicken are removed, if they exist, I try to buy them without the innards, but that's not always an option. Seasoning is optional. Use the bones and leftovers later to make soup stock.

I agree on the old crockpots. I love searching the garage sales trying to find one. I broke mine (accidentally) awhile back and bought a new one, a Rival CrockPot® and immediately hated it because it cooked way too hot even on the low setting. I finally threw the base in the trash and turned the pot into a pickling pot and bought a Hamilton Beach slow cooker.....but I still miss my old one.

Back
Top Bottom