"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks Andy That's very helpful. I think I'm going to order the Cuisinart DLC-1SS. Just saw that I can download the manual from Cuisinart's website in advance. I'm sure it will be better than using a Nutribullet!

Does that model have chop and grind buttons? I only see low and high speed buttons.

How do you reverse the blade to grind?

The kind Andy and I have automatically puts the blade in reverse when you push "grind"

Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Bed Bath had this Kitchenaid 3.5 cup model.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KFC3511OB]-401109/KFC3511OB/

Does anyone know how it would compare in terms of quality to the Cuisinart DLC-1ss?

Old 03-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Does that model have chop and grind buttons? I only see low and high speed buttons.

How do you reverse the blade to grind?

The kind Andy and I have automatically puts the blade in reverse when you push "grind"
Yes, I asked Cuisinart and they said it has both chop and grind functions. Chopping is "low" and grinding is "high." I just looked at the manual and you can grind coffee beans and spices with it if you insert the blade a certain way. You can't do this with the KitchenAid 3.5 cup chopper.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO mini food processor for nut butters

Quote:
Can you post a link to it?

It's over 20 years old. I'll try to find the manual and post a pic. It has just three settings, on, off, and pulse.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes, I asked Cuisinart and they said it has both chop and grind functions. Chopping is "low" and grinding is "high." I just looked at the manual and you can grind coffee beans and spices with it if you insert the blade a certain way. You can't do this with the KitchenAid 3.5 cup chopper.
So the blade turns one way on "low" and in the reverse direction on "high?"

Why not have chop[ and grind buttons then?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Cuisinart BFP-703CHFR SmartPower Duet Blender
Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
With the Cuisinart I linked, you don't have to change blade positions just press a different button.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:

I just looked at the manual. It's suggested that you chop on low speed and grind on high speed -- but high/low speed doesn't = chop/grind

Chopping is done with the sharp side of the blade and grinding with the flat side of the blade.

The model you are looking to buy turns the blade in one direction only. Thus, it requires you to remove the blade and mount accordingly for either chopping or grinding.

The model Andy and I have reverses the blade direction with a push of a button so that in one direction the sharp side of the blade is leading ("chop") and in the reverse the flat side of the blade is leading (grind).

Plus being able to reverse the blade helps for more even chopping/grinding/mixing.

Just make sure you are ok with having to pull out the blade and fiddle with it.

I have had one with the low/high speed versus the chop and grind and MUCH prefer the chop/grind reversing action.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Which KA model do you have?
Professional 670. I've had it for quite a few years now. When I bought it, it came with a 10" KA stainless clad fry pan as a "free" gift. This one has all of the attachments, including a citrus juicer, the dough blade, and the smaller sized bowl and blade. As it is, 95% of the use we get from it is just with the standard bowl and blade.

If we ever were in a position to buy oranges in bulk and make fresh OJ, the juicer might actually get used sometime - it's too much hassle to squeeze one or two lemons for a recipe. The old fashioned manual squeezer is more efficient and easier to clean.

Checking at Amazon, apparently the Model 700 has replaced the one I have.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I just looked at the manual. It's suggested that you chop on low speed and grind on high speed -- but high/low speed doesn't = chop/grind

Chopping is done with the sharp side of the blade and grinding with the flat side of the blade.

The model you are looking to buy turns the blade in one direction only. Thus, it requires you to remove the blade and mount accordingly for either chopping or grinding.

The model Andy and I have reverses the blade direction with a push of a button so that in one direction the sharp side of the blade is leading ("chop") and in the reverse the flat side of the blade is leading (grind).

Plus being able to reverse the blade helps for more even chopping/grinding/mixing.

Just make sure you are ok with having to pull out the blade and fiddle with it.

I have had one with the low/high speed versus the chop and grind and MUCH prefer the chop/grind reversing action.
Wow I'm so glad you looked at the manual. I don't understand why Cuisinart said the blade on the DLC-1SS was sturdier than the CH-4DC. It sounds like it would be a pain in the neck to remove the blade and flip it for different functions. It could get very messy.

Have you used the CH-4DC to grind coffee? I'm guessing you can because the manual says it grinds peppercorns.

Tags
butter, food