"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty71 View Post
A separate sausage stuffer is usually better because the meat grinder will mush the filling a lot. Just my experience. I have a 10 pound stuffer but seem to have lost the picture. this is a #22 1hpgrinder and a 25 pound 1 hp meat mixer thanks for resizing for me

Need a little help. The tall item in the back corner with the rounded top is the mixer (I think). The grinder is obvious with the hopper on top. What's the shiny item next to the phone?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Cook

The mystery item is a 25 pound TILTABLE meat mixer-- it easily does 30 pounds. The shiny thing is a 1 horse power motor that is used either for a meat grinder head or to drive the meat mixer. I only use it to drive the meat mixer. I had a stroke 15 years ago. Although it had little effect on anything important, unfortunately it took a great deal of the strength from my arms. This is why I go for heavy duty appliances. I had to have the arm on the sausage stuffer extended 4 inches so it would be easy for me to crank.

I also use an Electrolux assistante to mix and kneed my bread. I often wonder if I could mix meat loaf or my home ground beef and fat in it

Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for all of the advice, links, and info everyone.

the more i read up on it, the more the $$$ goes up.

i'm thinking about the cabelas pro series (a little different than the pro), or for more dinero, the lem #8 all stainless steel .35 hp grinder.

the lem is twice the price, but has metal gears instead of the vinyl ones in the cabelas. i'm just concerned that .35hp won't be enough.

then there's the lem #12 ss grinder at .75hp, for another $100+.

spending $450 dollars for a kitchen toy with which i have no experience might be a tough sell to the mrs..

unless...

unless i add up everything she spent on qvc crap over the last 6 or 8 months and it's equal or more. that might be a plan.

thanks again, folks. i'll post when i decide on one.

man, this went from $30 to $450 in one thread. and that's before the tenderizer attachment, and separate sausage stuffer.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, so i jumped in and bought the lem #8 big bite, 35hp grinder.

it came down to a comparison between the lem, the cabela pro series, and the stx megaforce 3000.

i decided not to go with the cabela because of the plastic (vinyl?) gears.

it came down to the stx and the lem.

the lem won out because while the reviews were fantastic for the stx, they just seemed to good to be true.

the stx boasted a 3000 watt peak motor, which translates to 3.4hp! what made that seem unbelievable was every other grinder that i researched weighed more than 30lbs in order to produce just 1hp, and the stx weighed in at around 14lbs. maybe less, the facts seemed to change with different sellers.
also, the stx claims to use a revolutionary cowl cooling system, which ends up just being a hole in the top of the plastic case. i'm guessing the motors overloaded during development, so they cut a hole and made it a "feature", not a limitation, lol.
finally, the stx has a carbon steel cutting blade, not stainless.

the lem weighs in at 36lbs, produces (what seems like an honest) .35hp, and has a ss case, knife, grinding plates, auger,and housing. also, it has all metal gears.

so in the end, i spent about $100 more than i wanted to; about $80 more than the stx, but i hope it's superior, long lasting quality.

i'll report more when i get it, around next weekend.

again, thanks to everyone for their help.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, so i jumped in and bought the lem #8 big bite, 35hp grinder...
Congrats, BT. You're on your way to being Mr. Sausage.

Are you getting a stuffer?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Admiral of the Texas Navy

That looks really nice. Let us know how it works out.

Tags
electric, manual, meat