"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #111
Master Chef

Since we're also on the subject of new construction, my brother and his wife just moved into a new KB subdivision home just north of us in Valencia a few weeks ago. They upgraded their kitchen appliances (to mid-level KitchenAid) but boy, they were unhappy with the quality of the kitchen cabinets. They look nice on the surface but the build quality is like something you might find at Ikea, for instance. The drawers are made of cheap metal, except for the faces made of some cheap laminate.
Their two previous homes, also new at the time they bought, had solid hardwood cabinets and drawers so this was a total shock to them. Guess they're gonna have to live with that.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #112
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Since we're also on the subject of new construction, my brother and his wife just moved into a new KB subdivision home just north of us in Valencia a few weeks ago. They upgraded their kitchen appliances (to mid-level KitchenAid) but boy, they were unhappy with the quality of the kitchen cabinets. They look nice on the surface but the build quality is like something you might find at Ikea, for instance. The drawers are made of cheap metal, except for the faces made of some cheap laminate.
Their two previous homes, also new at the time they bought, had solid hardwood cabinets and drawers so this was a total shock to them. Guess they're gonna have to live with that.
How disappointing for them RF! We had exactly the same problem when we moved into this new place. The cabinets were really junk. Recently when we up graded the kitchen, we had a great outfit Cabinet Refacing | Kitchen Cabinetry | Bath Remodeling | Anaheim | San Diego come in and reface them and give us new drawers. It turned out great and was a fraction of the cost of replacing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #113
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
...a new KB subdivision home just north of us in Valencia a few weeks ago...

What is a KB subdivision?
Old 10-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #114
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What is a KB subdivision?
KB Home is a major home builder in the U.S.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #115
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
KB Homes New Home Builders In Your Area - KB Home are prevalent here in Southern Arizona, but the delevoper for our new home is Dorn Homes, http://www.dornhomes.com/there are loads of them in Northern AZ

I will be taking a second as well as third look at all of the cabinets in our new build prior to signing a contract. I don't want to get stiffed on this home, we settled for junk stuff in Hawaii because of the costs, but not this time around.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #116
Master Chef

You would imagine for what these homes are going for around here you would expect some half way decent cabinets. But the overall quality of these new homes are nowhere as good as ones built just a few years ago.
They had 2 walk throughs, one during construction and another after completion. They caught some construction errors during their first walk through and it was apparent to them that overall craftsmanship was not there...
Since dozens of these homes are under construction at any given time I can see how quality of work can go out the window...
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #117
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, we also have a toaster oven. The microwave doesn't toast top and bottom like a t/o does. But luckily, I have lots of counter space

This is similar to the microwave we have; apparently they don't make our model anymore (it was made in 2006): GE Profile Series Over-the-Range Oven with Advantium® Technology | PSA9240SFSS | GE Appliances

Like I said, lots of counter space. These don't show three other counters that are too cluttered to photograph today
GG, I just noticed that you have a french door `fridge, what brand/model do you have and what do you think of it. I promise everyone that I'll start a different thread on this topic.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #118
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Kgirl, we bought the gas GE Adora a few months ago when we redid the kitchen, and I couldn't be happier. Maybe you could upgrade on the package they offer for GE? It's a honey to be sure. The new GE dishwasher is so quiet I don't know it's on. Along with the microwave, they are all the new slate color that I love!
KL, which micro hood did you get, as well as the dishwasher and `fridge?
The builder will include the range, dishwasher and hood, all GE, just not sure which model yet.
Also, how quiet is your micro hood?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #119
Senior Cook

Here are the pictures of our dishwasher and microwave. The vent hood is built into the microwave. The fan has 2 speeds, but both are quiet.
The dishwasher is so quiet that we do not know it is on.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #120
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Here are the pictures of our dishwasher and microwave. The vent hood is built into the microwave. The fan has 2 speeds, but both are quiet.
The dishwasher is so quiet that we do not know it is on.

Mahalo Steve, what models are these cuties? Profile, Adora ???

Tags
appliances, dual fuel, gas range