ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me three.. Love convection for roasting, but I rarely use it for baking. I would go without self cleaning before giving up convection.

Interesting viewpoint, Janet. Reports I've read on convection ovens indicate the opposite - that convection is much more beneficial with baking than with roasting.

Interesting viewpoint, Janet. Reports I've read on convection ovens indicate the opposite - that convection is much more beneficial with baking than with roasting.

Maybe just my 'old dog' showing...

I like convection for yeast breads but not cakes and cookies or things with whipped egg whites. For yeast doughs, the oven spring is sharper and crusts are better but I just never quite mastered converting recipes for convection.

Roasted meat and veggies is a whole 'nother deal however. The hot wind of convection is a miracle ingredient. Meat skins are crispy and juices sealed in. Veggies are cooked to perfection - soft, caramelized and sweet but with a firm bite in the center - flavors are enhanced.

Maybe just my 'old dog' showing...

I like convection for yeast breads but not cakes and cookies or things with whipped egg whites. For yeast doughs, the oven spring is sharper and crusts are better but I just never quite mastered converting recipes for convection.

Roasted meat and veggies is a whole 'nother deal however. The hot wind of convection is a miracle ingredient. Meat skins are crispy and juices sealed in. Veggies are cooked to perfection - soft, caramelized and sweet but with a firm bite in the center - flavors are enhanced.

Perfectly said. I never knew what I was missing until my new GE gas stove arrived.

Kgirl, I thought when you ordered your stove early in this thread that it was exactly the model as mine, right down to the slate color. What happened?

Perfectly said. I never knew what I was missing until my new GE gas stove arrived.

Kgirl, I thought when you ordered your stove early in this thread that it was exactly the model as mine, right down to the slate color. What happened?

I thought that it had convection... I was so excite that I did REALLY check it out. This is the only model that they offer in gas with the color slate, so...

We're going up there tomorrow and I have no doubt that we'll be spending at the least an hour or two just sitting in "our house".
I'll be sure to take a look at every single knook and kranny, I'll tell you!

AND THEN...(a little off topic but...) I was reviewing our big fat book from the design center we went through BACK IN NOVEMBER and I DO NOT like the chandelier that is "included" by the builder. I talked it over with the design center gal, such a sweetie, and she said just take what they give you and swap it out later... sell what you don't want and use that money to buy what you want.

AND THEN...(a little off topic but...) I was reviewing our big fat book from the design center we went through BACK IN NOVEMBER and I DO NOT like the chandelier that is "included" by the builder. I talked it over with the design center gal, such a sweetie, and she said just take what they give you and swap it out later... sell what you don't want and use that money to buy what you want.
These are what you call builders' fixtures, they're inexpensive, (toilets, sinks, and faucets too) and most homeowners end up replacing them with something much nicer.

Last edited:
These are what you call builders' fixtures, they're inexpensive, (toilets, sinks, and faucets too) and most homeowners end up replacing them with something much nicer.

You got that right roadfix!
They wanted to charge us and extra $500 for each change to their "standards".
I got an email the other that said that we needed to sign ANOTHER addendum to our contract, because they have changed some of their "standards".
ONE THING! That's all! They changed they light switches to a different manufacturer. ARG!
I suppose I should start a whole new thread as well to address topics other than the original post... :rolleyes:

Kgirl, the bottom line with the GE Adora gas stove is I'd never be without the convection option oven. The builder should be able to credit you back for the stove of their choice, and you buy what you want for your home. Sounds simple to me.

Back
Top Bottom