"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You can center a 10" diameter pot on the back simmer burner Kgirl.
However, all of the burners will go down to a very low simmer.
Because of that, I seldom use the little back burner that's only intended for an even lower temp.
Same here. I mostly use the back burners when I'm making a sauce or gravy to go with what's cooking on the front burners. I've also used 3 burners at once (both right burners and center) on my 14" frying pan. Takes a little adjustment to get them all putting out about the same amount of heat, but I've fried chicken successfully that way.

To answer the other question, yes, it bakes just fine. The temp control seems quite good. I've made a couple of different dessert type things and several loaves of ciabatta bread. I do use a pan with water for steaming the start of the baking when making ciabatta, but that is per the recipe. I did the same when I was still using an electric oven. The broiler works okay too, but not as good as an electric. I use the grill pan on the center burner for grilling steaks and chops (only when the weather prohibits using my outdoor grill), and just use the oven broiler for putting a quick crust or melting cheese on top of a dish.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #32
Senior Cook

What does an electric broiler do different than a gas broiler?
Other than the very short broiler on a gas oven almost on the floor.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I use the grill pan on the center burner for grilling steaks and chops (only when the weather prohibits using my outdoor grill), and just use the oven broiler for putting a quick crust or melting cheese on top of a dish.
The center grill/griddle is cast iron. I leave the griddle side up for added work space, opposed to using the long burner grate that I store in the oven.
I've yet to use the grill/griddle for cooking both because of the mess, and the 12 pounds of weight to take it to the sink to clean. I can grill outdoors all year though. Hmm, I bet it would be good for grilled cheese sandwiches, or pancakes, both I no longer eat these days. Those foods could be cleaned off the griddle in place.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #34
Master Chef

Kgirl, you might be interested in reading this conversation about stoves from the first of the year.
I want to buy my Master Chef wife a 30 inch Viking Gas Range!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The center grill/griddle is cast iron. I leave the griddle side up for added work space, opposed to using the long burner grate that I store in the oven.
I've yet to use the grill/griddle for cooking both because of the mess, and the 12 pounds of weight to take it to the sink to clean. I can grill outdoors all year though. Hmm, I bet it would be good for grilled cheese sandwiches, or pancakes, both I no longer eat these days. Those foods could be cleaned off the griddle in place.
The grill pan does a thick cut pork chop to a T - nice grill marks too. Also pretty good for a rib eye steak. When the temp is 30 with a 20 mph wind, that grill pan comes in pretty handy. My wife has used the griddle side, but I haven't had a need for it yet.

I've also used the long burner grate for oval shaped my 9 qt dutch oven.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #36
Master Chef

If you do a lot stove top grilling I think it's essential to have venting that vents outside.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
If you do a lot stove top grilling I think it's essential to have venting that vents outside.
Fer sure, RF. Although I think it's essential for any cooking!

Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I 100% agree. Also, get a more powerful fan than you think you'll need. If your home is well insulated with double paned windows that are tight, it's hard for the vent fan to suck the smoke out. A weaker fan means you may have to open a window in another room to create a cross-draft so the fan can vent fumes, smoke, etc.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #39
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Okay, so wait a minute guys.
Are you folks saying that I should have a hood that vents to the exterior if I get this GE gas range?
The builder includes a GE micro/hood, could I ask to change that and have a for real vented hood do you think?
I still have time, the construction won't start for about 3-4 months, they're REALLY behind.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #40
Master Chef

If it's a new construction, by all means, get the shrouded hood instead of an overhead microwave/hood. I'm assuming the builder's micro/hood combo does not vent outdoors.
We have a Vent-A-Hood installed in our kitchen.

Tags
appliances, dual fuel, gas range