ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My stove is a Kenmore and the refrigerator is a Frigidaire. The counter top microwave is a whirlpool.
My washer and dryer are different brands. The dryer is on its second wife and 3rd or 4th washer.
Most of the small appliances are different brands too.

Call me crazy but I love my GE microwave above the stove. It has a really powerful fan that vents to the outside, and I've yet to have any smoke problems. It's very easy to clean underneath unlike my old one. It's very quiet too, and I like not giving counter space to a separate microwave. JMHO

OK, as you asked, I'll call you crazy, Kay.

I also have my microwave over the stove, and it does have a powerful fan that vents outside.

Yeah....different brands here too. Fridge is Amana, stove top is GE, wall oven and microwave combo is JennAir, and built-in kitchen gas grill is Thermador. In fact, our stove top is not vented at all. The vent hood is over the gas grill only.

Dawg which brand and model do you have?

It's a GE Spacemaker. It replaced our old one that bit the dust a few eons ago, and has served us well for years. It's smarter than I am. And scares me. I still don't use all the settings.

It fit in the spot above the stove perfectly. There are probably much newer models that are even smarter now.

Last edited:
Here's the one we chose Kgirl. Our old microwave/exhaust fan was already vented to outside, so this was easily installed.

I'd think with a new build they would provide outside venting. If not, request one during the build. Who would ever choose not to have it?

Like Dawg said, mine is smarter than me too. I've yet to use all the features.

GE 1.7 cu. ft. Over the Range Microwave in Slate with Sensor Cooking-JVM6175EFES - The Home Depot

PS. GG, I must say that yours sounds very interesting if it's also a second oven in addition to being a microwave! Hmmm, very cool indeed. That would also eliminate the need for counter real estate for a toaster oven? I really hate to give up counter space.

Last edited:
...What I plan on doing is asking for trade off credits for the appliance package that the builder offers and place my own choices.
Most builders are pretty flexible, K-Girl. When we built House #1 we went with the builder-choice appliances but upgraded the burners on the stove and added an oven window. We paid the difference between his model and what his cost would have been on the model we got. No problem. With House #2, we were taking our stove and fridge from the old house, so we used all the appliance allowance on the dishwasher and oven range - again, no problem. When we build House #3 we were doing it pretty much long-distance (from OH, since Himself was never around the house during construction time due to having his own job to work) so again we went with builder's models.

If I were to build again, I would be sure to ask how much wiggle room there is in upgrading during the build. Unless you're building with a builder that does NOT allow you to do anything that isn't stock (my SIL had a builder like that in FL; NO changes at all! Period!) you should be able to work things out to both of your satisfactions.

Make sure to take photos every time you visit your house during construction. We documented our first house from lot-clearing and hole-digging all the way up to moving in. So much fun to look back!

Okay, so wait a minute guys.
Are you folks saying that I should have a hood that vents to the exterior if I get this GE gas range?
The builder includes a GE micro/hood, could I ask to change that and have a for real vented hood do you think?
I still have time, the construction won't start for about 3-4 months, they're REALLY behind.

Absolutely vent to the outside. We had the so-called inside recirculating vent in our old house in Denver and it was worthless. I've been thinking that the one we have here needs replacing. It vents outside, but not very efficiently. We don't have a microwave over the range, though, because we would have to do some serious remodeling with the cabinets. Our ceiling in that part of the kitchen is fairly low, so there aren't many options. We're happy with our arrangement at the moment with the microwave free-standing in a corner area of the counter.

I don't understand this comment. The broiler in my gas oven is right under the top of the oven. There are five spaces for racks under it.

Same for ours.

Not at all weird. The only time they are all the same is in new construction. If you research and find the best of each appliance, chances are they will be different brands.

We used to have an Amana fridge, Samsung range, and KitchenAid dishwasher in Denver. Here they are all GE, but that's because only the range has been replaced since we moved in here a year ago, and we just liked the features and price point of the GE gas range. There was no intent to match anything. We have been considering replacing the dishwasher, as the one here is apparently the cheapest one GE made when this house was built in 2002, and it's so loud we have to turn up the TV in the living room when it's running. :(

Last edited:
If I ever win the lottery, contractors and electricians will hate us. It will be done to our specs not the builders. Yes it will be more expensive.

If I ever win the lottery, contractors and electricians will hate us. It will be done to our specs not the builders. Yes it will be more expensive.

LOL....Well, if you win the lottery you can hire an architect and an interior designer to design your dream home, all to your specs.

Most large builders follow stock plans and have you choose from one of them. Choices are even narrower if these are new construction tract/community homes. Sure, they offer upgrades, but not a redesign of your kitchen layout.

Last edited:
One of the things we would change would be the studs of the entire house. Hubby wants 2 by 6 instead of 2 by 4 for better insulation. Besides I wouldn't want to live in a cookie cutter community. I'd be worried my neighbor would come home drunk but to the wrong house.
I know a couple of cabinet builders.

One of the things we would change would be the studs of the entire house. Hubby wants 2 by 6 instead of 2 by 4 for better insulation. Besides I wouldn't want to live in a cookie cutter community. I'd be worried my neighbor would come home drunk but to the wrong house.
I know a couple of cabinet builders.

How do studs insulate? I thought insulation between the studs provided insulation :) Our house was built in 1910 with real 2x4s and huge nails, but no insulation. Previous owners added that.

Exactly. So we can put more insulation.
I am in a house with no insulation but it does not have central heat and air.

Our last house, the manufacturer (Oak Creek) had put the thermostat right over a vent.
Can we say the house was never the right temperature? I should have had one of my many relatives move it.

PS. GG, I must say that yours sounds very interesting if it's also a second oven in addition to being a microwave! Hmmm, very cool indeed. That would also eliminate the need for counter real estate for a toaster oven? I really hate to give up counter space.

No, we also have a toaster oven. The microwave doesn't toast top and bottom like a t/o does. But luckily, I have lots of counter space :)

This is similar to the microwave we have; apparently they don't make our model anymore (it was made in 2006): GE Profile Series Over-the-Range Oven with Advantium® Technology | PSA9240SFSS | GE Appliances

Like I said, lots of counter space. These don't show three other counters that are too cluttered to photograph today :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 2015-10-16 13.33.56.jpg
    2015-10-16 13.33.56.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 2015-10-16 13.35.41.jpg
    2015-10-16 13.35.41.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Exactly. So we can put more insulation.
I am in a house with no insulation but it does not have central heat and air.
I live in a house with very ineffective insulation throughout. With the central air running continuously on a 100 degree day I'll be lucky if I can get the temp in the house to "cool" to the mid eighties.... This is where my wife sets the thermostat down to 40 degrees and complains the AC is not cooling.....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom