ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd think with a new build they would provide outside venting. If not, request one during the build. Who would ever choose not to have it?

Not true that new builds would have outside venting.

You need to be talking with the architect, not the builder, to get the vent hood venting to the outside. My architect had me specify all major appliances before the plans were put out to bid. I chose all appliances, (washer, dryer, stove, frig, plumbing fixtures and dish washer) and all lighting. The architect specified heating components and air recovery system.

My sister did not specify nor get an outside vent for her stove, and it caused problems. She has a LEEDS platinum house and the stove had to be vented to get that certification. The house was finished and they had to have the outside venting installed for the stove which was not against an outside wall.

Not true that new builds would have outside venting.

You need to be talking with the architect, not the builder, to get the vent hood venting to the outside. My architect had me specify all major appliances before the plans were put out to bid. I chose all appliances, (washer, dryer, stove, frig, plumbing fixtures and dish washer) and all lighting. The architect specified heating components and air recovery system.

My sister did not specify nor get an outside vent for her stove, and it caused problems. She has a LEEDS platinum house and the stove had to be vented to get that certification. The house was finished and they had to have the outside venting installed for the stove which was not against an outside wall.

That's really surprising to me Beth. What architect in his right mind wouldn't automatically include outside venting over a stove? I guess one who's only interested in cutting corners, although it seems pretty darn easy during the build.

That's really surprising to me Beth. What architect in his right mind wouldn't automatically include outside venting over a stove? I guess one who's only interested in cutting corners, although it seems pretty darn easy during the build.

Kayelle, I believe that for many families where cooking is not a priority, the standard setup of not venting to the outside is all they want.

I know I'm in a cooking forum, loving the new kitchens and appliances.
Now besides yourself, how many people do you know in real life that actually cook?
Not just open boxes and cans.

You could be right!

I don't have a bathroom vent but I do have a bathroom window.

I loved having a bathroom window to open. Sadly, most modern homes don't these days.

I know I'm in a cooking forum, loving the new kitchens and appliances.
Now besides yourself, how many people do you know in real life that actually cook?
Not just open boxes and cans.

Good question cj...how about you?

I know quite a few people who actually cook. Most of them, including me, sometimes open a box of pasta and a jar of sauce and doctor it up some. With a homemade salad, I'd call that a semi-homemade meal and be happy with it. Other times I make a protein, potato and veggie from scratch. But many people I know cook from mostly whole ingredients much of the time.

My comments/questions above.

"Depending on your situation, you don't have to go through the roof to vent. My hood vents straight back through the wall to the outdoors".

True. You can vent out the roof or out of an outside wall. In my circumstance going through a wall would be much more difficult. You still need to make room/cut for the duct work no matter.
My hood had the option of top venting or venting out the back of the hood.

"I don't understand this comment. Please explain".

Gas broilers to me are like cooking under a camp fire instead of cooking over a campfire. Heat rises and I guess my critical thinking all the time gets in the way.
I guess electric broilers would be just as inefficient.

You can center a 10" diameter pot on the back simmer burner Kgirl.
However, all of the burners will go down to a very low simmer.
Because of that, I seldom use the little back burner that's only intended for an even lower temp.

Can you explain? How does adjusting a single burner effect the other burners?
I have never owned a gas range. So please excuse my lack of knowledge concerning their use.

If you do a lot stove top grilling I think it's essential to have venting that vents outside.

It should be a requirement IMO.

Okay, so wait a minute guys.
Are you folks saying that I should have a hood that vents to the exterior if I get this GE gas range?
The builder includes a GE micro/hood, could I ask to change that and have a for real vented hood do you think?
I still have time, the construction won't start for about 3-4 months, they're REALLY behind.

Now is the time to get what you want. Change orders are expensive even before you change anything. So decide what you want and get it in writing.
You WANT and you NEED a hood that vents to the outside if you are a serious cook.
If you are a very serious cook, I would be looking at commercial quality.

I'm guessing a 30", but we'll check on that stuff before we order anything...
AND THEN, is it too weird to have different brands, say a Samsung range and a GE `fridge and dishwasher?

Go as big as you can afford. Buy your new range to last you for a lifetime.
By as big as possible and buy the very best quality you can afford.
30 inches is too small. IMHO.

Call me crazy but I love my GE microwave above the stove. It has a really powerful fan that vents to the outside, and I've yet to have any smoke problems. It's very easy to clean underneath unlike my old one. It's very quiet too, and I like not giving counter space to a separate microwave. JMHO

Have a cabinet space dedicated to the microwave. No need to set on the counter. Just talk to the builder about a space for the microwave.
Make sure they install a receptacle in the back of the space.

To the one that asked, our broiler is below the main oven and only has one spot to broil.
It is a drawer you pull open.

Aw yes, thats how I remember a gas broiler. Its been 50 years since I saw one like that. My grandmother had the pull out broiler.

If I ever win the lottery, contractors and electricians will hate us. It will be done to our specs not the builders. Yes it will be more expensive.

To the contrary, we will love you. The more you spend on your home, the more money we make.
We also love change orders. So change away. The contractor will love you for it.
BTW....How many LED recessed lighting fixtures are you having installed.
Remember. LED is where its at and they are very frugal with use of electricity. Try for LED everywhere possible.
They look better, are brighter, can be dimmed and use less than half the power of a CFL lamp/bulb.
This is your chance to get it right the first time.

One of the things we would change would be the studs of the entire house. Hubby wants 2 by 6 instead of 2 by 4 for better insulation. Besides I wouldn't want to live in a cookie cutter community. I'd be worried my neighbor would come home drunk but to the wrong house.
I know a couple of cabinet builders.

As long as he meant all the outside walls of the house, I'm on board.
But 2x4 construction with expanding insulation can have the same or better R rating as 2x6 construction.

How do studs insulate? I thought insulation between the studs provided insulation :) Our house was built in 1910 with real 2x4s and huge nails, but no insulation. Previous owners added that.

Thicker walls allow for thicker insulation. 2x6 walls afford the ability to increase the R value.
Our house is also built with true size lumber. Was built in the early 1950's.

Bottom line, a vented kitchen is a must, whether you go with a dedicated hooded vent or a micro/vent combo.
It'll also keep your kitchen walls and ceiling from grease build-up, and keep your kitchen cool during the summer.

Go as big as you can afford. Buy your new range to last you for a lifetime.
By as big as possible and buy the very best quality you can afford.
30 inches is too small. IMHO.

I also agree with this.

But personally I can live with a 30" oven, and 30" ranges are a heck of a lot less expensive than 36" units.

I have a 30" wall oven but my separate island cook top is 36" and I want no less than that. I can place large pots and griddles without having to sacrifice other burner space. It may not seem like much but that 6" additional cooktop width is significant.

Last edited:
I have to disagree that venting to the outside is necessary; desirable, maybe, but not essential. Our stove/microwave combo (see photos above) don't and I don't really have problems with it. We do have two windows in the kitchen, as well as a ceiling fan and the fan under the microwave, so if it gets smoky, I can deal with it that way. But it doesn't stop me from cooking whatever I want.

RB, a gas broiler isn't about the heat, per se, but the flame. It's used to brown or blacken the tops of foods. I used it all summer to broil tomatoes and tomatillos for salsas and just freezing the pulp. It makes it much easier to peel the tomato skins and concentrates the flavor by evaporating some of the water. And I don't have to deal with a boiling water bath or a bowl of ice water for cooling.

Last edited:
RB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
Because of that, I seldom use the little back burner that's only intended for an even lower temp.
__________________________________________________________________________________

I have never owned a gas range. So please excuse my lack of knowledge concerning their use.

I don't understand why you think I was implying that. Obviously the burners work independently of one another.

Last edited:
RB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
__________________________________________________________________________________

I don't understand why you think I was implying that. Obviously the burners work independently of one another.

My stove is the same way, Kayelle. I can set any of the four burners to maintain a constant simmer so I don't have to use the simmer burner for
that function.

"Depending on your situation, you don't have to go through the roof to vent. My hood vents straight back through the wall to the outdoors".

True. You can vent out the roof or out of an outside wall. In my circumstance going through a wall would be much more difficult. You still need to make room/cut for the duct work no matter.
My hood had the option of top venting or venting out the back of the hood...

My situation must be different as stove/hood backs up to an outside wall so the distance from the back of the hood to the outside is 6"-8"tops. As my stove is on the first floor of a two story condo, straight out the back was by far the easiest way to go.

Anyway, if K-girls's builder is flexible she should have some latitude regarding sizes of appliances she has in mind.
I have no idea what vision she has regarding her kitchen. For instance, will her fridge be free standing or built in?

Sorry about all the confusion this thread has brought you, K-girl.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom