"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #81
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'd think with a new build they would provide outside venting. If not, request one during the build. Who would ever choose not to have it?
Not true that new builds would have outside venting.

You need to be talking with the architect, not the builder, to get the vent hood venting to the outside. My architect had me specify all major appliances before the plans were put out to bid. I chose all appliances, (washer, dryer, stove, frig, plumbing fixtures and dish washer) and all lighting. The architect specified heating components and air recovery system.

My sister did not specify nor get an outside vent for her stove, and it caused problems. She has a LEEDS platinum house and the stove had to be vented to get that certification. The house was finished and they had to have the outside venting installed for the stove which was not against an outside wall.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #82
Master Chef

I love your kitchen GG !! I see you like refrigerator magnets as much as I do.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Not true that new builds would have outside venting.

You need to be talking with the architect, not the builder, to get the vent hood venting to the outside. My architect had me specify all major appliances before the plans were put out to bid. I chose all appliances, (washer, dryer, stove, frig, plumbing fixtures and dish washer) and all lighting. The architect specified heating components and air recovery system.

My sister did not specify nor get an outside vent for her stove, and it caused problems. She has a LEEDS platinum house and the stove had to be vented to get that certification. The house was finished and they had to have the outside venting installed for the stove which was not against an outside wall.
That's really surprising to me Beth. What architect in his right mind wouldn't automatically include outside venting over a stove? I guess one who's only interested in cutting corners, although it seems pretty darn easy during the build.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #84
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
That's really surprising to me Beth. What architect in his right mind wouldn't automatically include outside venting over a stove? I guess one who's only interested in cutting corners, although it seems pretty darn easy during the build.
Kayelle, I believe that for many families where cooking is not a priority, the standard setup of not venting to the outside is all they want.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #85
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Kayelle, I believe that for many families where cooking is not a priority, the standard setup of not venting to the outside is all they want.
Andy, I'm guessing those are the same folks who wouldn't care about bathroom vents either.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #86
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Andy, I'm guessing those are the same folks who wouldn't care about bathroom vents either.
You could be right!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #87
Senior Cook

I don't have a bathroom vent but I do have a bathroom window.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #88
Senior Cook

I know I'm in a cooking forum, loving the new kitchens and appliances.
Now besides yourself, how many people do you know in real life that actually cook?
Not just open boxes and cans.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #89
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You could be right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
I don't have a bathroom vent but I do have a bathroom window.
I loved having a bathroom window to open. Sadly, most modern homes don't these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
I know I'm in a cooking forum, loving the new kitchens and appliances.
Now besides yourself, how many people do you know in real life that actually cook?
Not just open boxes and cans.
Good question cj...how about you?

Old 10-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #90
Senior Cook

Just my adopted daughter on people that cook.

Tags
appliances, dual fuel, gas range