ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kgirl, we bought the gas GE Adora a few months ago when we redid the kitchen, and I couldn't be happier. Maybe you could upgrade on the package they offer for GE? It's a honey to be sure. The new GE dishwasher is so quiet I don't know it's on. Along with the microwave, they are all the new slate color that I love!

img_1440238_0_3155f446e5b9fdaa49fcc6a6b977d787.jpg

Our range is the same thing in white and I love it. Been cooking on it for a year now and I have no complaints. The Power Boil burner puts out 18,000 btu. The elongated center burner is great with the Lodge griddle/grillpan that interchanges with the middle grate.

...Dual fuel: yes or no and why
(I've read that gas is great for the cooktop and electric for the oven for better baking, of which I do a fair amount of)...
I'm not in the market for a new range, but a girl can dream. When Himself and I were walking through Lowe's for something else, I managed to peruse appliances. When I mentioned wanting dual fuel whenif we move home (an area with nat-gas available) but they were so expensive, he suggested an electric oven(s) and a gas drop-in cook-top. Might be something you could consider?

Kayelle, I could move me and my pillows into your kitchen and have not one regret. ;)
...I'm afraid I've never understood why some people prefer an electric oven when a gas works so well.
It's my understanding that baked goods in an electric oven are moister because the oven is more air tight than a gas one. That might be old-school kind of thought now, with all the improvements in appliances.

Gas stove tops can be lighted manually in a power outage. Ovens ill not work. There is a safety built in to prevent it's being lighted when the temperature control mechanism isn't working.

Our range is the same thing in white and I love it. Been cooking on it for a year now and I have no complaints. The Power Boil burner puts out 18,000 btu. The elongated center burner is great with the Lodge griddle/grillpan that interchanges with the middle grate.

Okay Kayelle and Rick, I have a question about your cooktop:

One of the things that is driving me insane about my present slid-in electric range is that the the back burners will not accommodate any large pots and that's where the warming warmer is, ARGH!

Can your GE ranges have say a Le Creuset 5 1/2 qt on one of those back burners?

It looks as though there's a "bump out" digital display there, yes?

Also, Rick, how does your gas oven work out for you with baked goods?

Last edited:
Another thought: Someone I used to work with told me that when he was considering an expensive purchase, he bought a one-month subscription to Consumer Reports to help in making a decision.

I do this with most every large purchase. The online version is $5 per month and can be canceled at any time.

No Andy, I don't think I want a pro-style range, I don't think there is a true vented hood for such a beauty.

If you have the money, a true vented hood is within reach.
Now if your talking about a professional ansul system, it would be very expensive, but it can be installed.
I installed a vented hood and did all the work myself except for the roof penetration.
I was fortunate to think about the vent when we had a new roof installed.
I bought the roof vent and had the roof people install it. All I had to do was cut a 7" round hole through two cabinets and run a 7" flexible duct to the vent they installed for me.

Now the oven won't work in a power outage.

One reason to buy a gas range with an electric oven. Broiling seems wasteful and self defeating with a gas oven too!
But they do use salamanders in restaurants. So I guess at least someone thinks they are a good idea. I am not one of them.

One of the things that is driving me insane about my present slid-in electric range is that the the back burners will not accommodate any large pots and that's where the warming warmer is, ARGH!

I can concur with you on this point. I also need more room for my back burners. I can still use them, but the pot is not on perfect center.
I have an all electric range and would go gas stove top and electric oven if gas was available here.
Now is your chance to get it right the first time. Good luck on your new home and your new appliances.

...I installed a vented hood and did all the work myself except for the roof penetration.
I was fortunate to think about the vent when we had a new roof installed.
I bought the roof vent and had the roof people install it. All I had to do was cut a 7" round hole through two cabinets and run a 7" flexible duct to the vent they installed for me.

Depending on your situation, you don't have to go through the roof to vent. My hood vents straight back through the wall to the outdoors.

One reason to buy a gas range with an electric oven. Broiling seems wasteful and self defeating with a gas oven too!...

I don't understand this comment. Please explain.

My comments/questions above.

...It's my understanding that baked goods in an electric oven are moister because the oven is more air tight than a gas one. That might be old-school kind of thought now, with all the improvements in appliances.

I'm not sure why that would be the case. Door seals would be the same for electric and gas. Both ovens vent.

One difference cited between the two types is that moisture is produced by the gas combustion process resulting in gas ovens being a more moist environment.

All that said, my gas oven bakes and roasts very well.

Also, Rick, how does your gas oven work out for you with baked goods?

You can center a 10" diameter pot on the back simmer burner Kgirl.
However, all of the burners will go down to a very low simmer.
Because of that, I seldom use the little back burner that's only intended for an even lower temp.

You can center a 10" diameter pot on the back simmer burner Kgirl.
However, all of the burners will go down to a very low simmer.
Because of that, I seldom use the little back burner that's only intended for an even lower temp.

Same here. I mostly use the back burners when I'm making a sauce or gravy to go with what's cooking on the front burners. I've also used 3 burners at once (both right burners and center) on my 14" frying pan. Takes a little adjustment to get them all putting out about the same amount of heat, but I've fried chicken successfully that way.

To answer the other question, yes, it bakes just fine. The temp control seems quite good. I've made a couple of different dessert type things and several loaves of ciabatta bread. I do use a pan with water for steaming the start of the baking when making ciabatta, but that is per the recipe. I did the same when I was still using an electric oven. The broiler works okay too, but not as good as an electric. I use the grill pan on the center burner for grilling steaks and chops (only when the weather prohibits using my outdoor grill), and just use the oven broiler for putting a quick crust or melting cheese on top of a dish.

What does an electric broiler do different than a gas broiler?
Other than the very short broiler on a gas oven almost on the floor.

I use the grill pan on the center burner for grilling steaks and chops (only when the weather prohibits using my outdoor grill), and just use the oven broiler for putting a quick crust or melting cheese on top of a dish.

The center grill/griddle is cast iron. I leave the griddle side up for added work space, opposed to using the long burner grate that I store in the oven.
I've yet to use the grill/griddle for cooking both because of the mess, and the 12 pounds of weight to take it to the sink to clean. I can grill outdoors all year though. Hmm, I bet it would be good for grilled cheese sandwiches, or pancakes, both I no longer eat these days. :( Those foods could be cleaned off the griddle in place.

Last edited:
The center grill/griddle is cast iron. I leave the griddle side up for added work space, opposed to using the long burner grate that I store in the oven.
I've yet to use the grill/griddle for cooking both because of the mess, and the 12 pounds of weight to take it to the sink to clean. I can grill outdoors all year though. Hmm, I bet it would be good for grilled cheese sandwiches, or pancakes, both I no longer eat these days. :( Those foods could be cleaned off the griddle in place.

The grill pan does a thick cut pork chop to a T - nice grill marks too. Also pretty good for a rib eye steak. When the temp is 30° with a 20 mph wind, that grill pan comes in pretty handy. My wife has used the griddle side, but I haven't had a need for it yet.

I've also used the long burner grate for oval shaped my 9 qt dutch oven. :chef:

Last edited:
If you do a lot stove top grilling I think it's essential to have venting that vents outside.

I 100% agree. Also, get a more powerful fan than you think you'll need. If your home is well insulated with double paned windows that are tight, it's hard for the vent fan to suck the smoke out. A weaker fan means you may have to open a window in another room to create a cross-draft so the fan can vent fumes, smoke, etc.

Okay, so wait a minute guys.
Are you folks saying that I should have a hood that vents to the exterior if I get this GE gas range?
The builder includes a GE micro/hood, could I ask to change that and have a for real vented hood do you think?
I still have time, the construction won't start for about 3-4 months, they're REALLY behind.

If it's a new construction, by all means, get the shrouded hood instead of an overhead microwave/hood. I'm assuming the builder's micro/hood combo does not vent outdoors.
We have a Vent-A-Hood installed in our kitchen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom