ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's a new construction, by all means, get the shrouded hood instead of an overhead microwave/hood. I'm assuming the builder's micro/hood combo does not vent outdoors.
We have a Vent-A-Hood installed in our kitchen.

Over the stove, as part of a vent hood is the WORST PLACE for a microwave. It gathers grease and is overheated by the oven and burners. And you end up with an inferior ventilation system.

Get a good hood vented outdoors and find a patch of counter space for a stand alone microwave. You'll thank me later! ;)

What size range are you getting ....30" or 36"? You should check with the builder on the width of the counter opening before you order your range. Better yet, you should wait until the counters are placed and set in before ordering your appliances, including your refrigerator.

Last edited:
What size range are you getting ....30" or 36"? You should check with the builder on the width of the counter opening before you order your range. Better yet, you should wait until the counters are placed and set in before ordering your appliances, including your refrigerator.

Couldn't she tell the builder the size of the opening she wants?

Couldn't she tell the builder the size of the opening she wants?

I'm sure she can. But if the builder told her that they were installing a micro/hood combo I would have to assume the opening is only 30" or 36" max... ??
I would want 36", which is pretty standard for a decent sized kitchen. Standard ranges come in 30", 36", 40", and even wider.

Last edited:
What does an electric broiler do different than a gas broiler?
Other than the very short broiler on a gas oven almost on the floor.

I don't understand this comment. The broiler in my gas oven is right under the top of the oven. There are five spaces for racks under it.

I'm guessing a 30", but we'll check on that stuff before we order anything...

AND THEN, is it too weird to have different brands, say a Samsung range and a GE `fridge and dishwasher?

Not at all weird. The only time they are all the same is in new construction. If you research and find the best of each appliance, chances are they will be different brands.

I was just reading an article from Consumer Reports on Pro-style ranges and they recommend the slide-in style which is a heck of alot cheaper.
I really like that Samsung...
then we'll all talk about the `fridge in a different thread, shall we?

What I plan on doing is asking for trade off credits for the appliance package that the builder offers and place my own choices.

When I was replacing my kitchen appliances, I researched and found the ones I wanted. They were all different brands. Appliance colors don't necessarily match across brands so I was limited to stainless, black or white. I chose black.

Call me crazy but I love my GE microwave above the stove. It has a really powerful fan that vents to the outside, and I've yet to have any smoke problems. It's very easy to clean underneath unlike my old one. It's very quiet too, and I like not giving counter space to a separate microwave. JMHO

Last edited:
I was just reading an article from Consumer Reports on Pro-style ranges and they recommend the slide-in style which is a heck of alot cheaper.
I really like that Samsung....
The pro/commercial style ranges are meant to be free standing and therefore have all 3 finished sides. With your style of kitchen the slide-in would be the obvious choice.

Call me crazy but I love my GE microwave above the stove. It has a really powerful fan that vents to the outside, and I've yet to have any smoke problems. It's very easy to clean underneath unlike my old one. It's very quiet too, and I like not giving counter space to a separate microwave. JMHO
K-girl should check with the builder to see whether or not their micro/hood vent combo vents outdoors.

Last edited:
I really like that Samsung...
then we'll all talk about the `fridge in a different thread, shall we?

What I plan on doing is asking for trade off credits for the appliance package that the builder offers and place my own choices.

That looks like a great choice Kgirl.:)

All four of my major appliances are different brands. I also chose black, and most of them have stainless trim.

My microwave is above the stove, too. I've had no problems with it. It has a high-powered fan that comes on automagically when the unit becomes too hot, whether from the stovetop or the microwave itself. It also has a halogen light and can act as a traditional oven as well as a microwave.

That's what I was thinking Kayelle, a micro hood that vents out... which GE model do you have, and did the sous chef vent that for you? how did that all happen? more details on the micro hood please :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom