ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear KG, here are the model numbers:
Microwave-remember it is outside vented JVM6175EFES
Dishwasher with stainless steel tub GDF620HMJES
I got these part numbers from the Home Depot website.

Last edited:
Dear KG, here are the model numbers:
Microwave-remember it is outside vented JVM6175EFES
Dishwasher with stainless steel tub GDF620HMJES
I got these part numbers from the Home Depot website.

Steve are you happy with your purchases from Home Depot?
I read some mixed reviews on the same models of appliances from one store to another, ie Home Depot and say Sears.
Love that dishwasher btw!
The microhood, I think I need to look for a higher CFM if I chose that Samsung gas range at I think it was 57,000BTU...

My mom would not recommend Sears.
She bought a new dryer. It quit working 2 weeks later. They gave her a run around and a half. She finally had to call corporate because the store told her one thing then didn't show up. They did that 3 times.
They finally gave her the money back.
It was one of the higher end dryers.

I don't know if that was just her Sears or a company wide problem.

cinisajoy, it's at least two locations. We had a couple of run-ins with poor service, but the last straw was about repairing a defective lawn mower nine years ago. We have not shopped at a Sears since.

K-girl, we have had the best customer service on major appliances from Lowe's. We shop there instead of Home Depot because of that.

We've bought a number of appliances (different brands) from Sears because they offer the best price. I've had one service call and it was handled properly.

Steve are you happy with your purchases from Home Depot?
I read some mixed reviews on the same models of appliances from one store to another, ie Home Depot and say Sears.
Love that dishwasher btw!
The microhood, I think I need to look for a higher CFM if I chose that Samsung gas range at I think it was 57,000BTU...
Kgirl, I was happy with the appliances I got from Home Depot. The prices were better, and the delivery was reasonable.They had a discount package if you bought more than one appliance. Also, we got a rebate from Maytag on the refrigerator.
I cannot understand how buying the exact same appliance can vary from store to store unless one is selling seconds
As far as the microhood, how many times will you be using more than 2 burners at a time?

Last edited:
Kgirl, I was happy with the appliances I got from Home Depot. The prices were better, and the delivery was reasonable.They had a discount package if you bought more than one appliance. Also, we got a rebate from Maytag on the refrigerator.
I cannot understand how buying the exact same appliance can vary from store to store unless one is selling seconds
As far as the microhood, how many times will you be using more than 2 burners at a time?

Very good point Souschef!

...I cannot understand how buying the exact same appliance can vary from store to store unless one is selling seconds

Many of the major national retailers have their own model numbers for an item. The appliance may have a minor difference such as no butter compartment or different shelves and the model number will differ by one digit. This allows them to negotiate a lower price from the manufacturer and makes them safe from "price matching" claims. I know Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowe's do this. I think Sears does as well.

Many of the major national retailers have their own model numbers for an item. The appliance may have a minor difference such as no butter compartment or different shelves and the model number will differ by one digit. This allows them to negotiate a lower price from the manufacturer and makes them safe from "price matching" claims. I know Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowe's do this. I think Sears does as well.
If you want to add small appliances to that list, add Walmart.
Oh and the customer service for small appliances bought at Walmart is one place regardless of brand.

We've bought a number of appliances (different brands) from Sears because they offer the best price. I've had one service call and it was handled properly.

One of the reasons I like to purchase from Sears is that they have a large parts store right up in Saugus. If Sears doesn't fix it, then Spike does it for me. Even if it is the property of the landlord. Less hassle to let him do it. They also carry parts from GE and Hotpoint. There is no brand name on the appliances here unless you really hunt for them. Maintenance orders drip pans for the stove by the carton. But right now they are out of the big burner ones. So I told management. They were supposed to tell maintenance. I got tired of waiting. So I had Spike buy them for me and gave the bill to the office. They paid me and jumped all over maintenance for not having them on hand. :angel:

One of the reasons I like to purchase from Sears is that they have a large parts store right up in Saugus.

Having a Sears parts store close by is very convenient. We also have a Sears parts store close by. I've made countless repairs on our Kenmore washers and dryers over the years.
I save money on parts by ordering on-line, on Amazon or Ebay on most commonly replaced parts. Most all Kenmore appliances are made by Whirlpool. Also, lots of generic parts available to fit these apps as well.....

Last edited:
Having a Sears parts store close by is very convenient. We also have a Sears parts store close by. I've made countless repairs on our Kenmore washers and dryers over the years.
I save money on parts by ordering on-line, on Amazon or Ebay on most commonly replaced parts. Most all Kenmore appliances are made by Whirlpool. Also, lots of generic parts available to fit these apps as well.....

Sears here also has a repair service for all makes of appliances. So the parts store I believe carries parts for many different brands. All I have ever bought over the years are Kenmore products. Had my washer for more than 20 years before it needed a repair. And that was for a large washer under the agitator. :angel:

Not always "minor differences", Andy. My BIL is an electrical engineer and works for a large corporation that, among other things, sets up huge generating systems for businesses. They also make good-sized home generators. When Home Depot tried negotiating with said company to manufacture home generators to Home Depot specs, the company refused to do that. Why? Because Home Depot's differences were to cheapen down the product so much so they could pad their profit margin. HD then planned on selling for the same MSRP. The generator company company refused, stating that if their name was on the product they would not compromise their own reputation by reducing the quality of the generator. Because of my BIL's experience, we rarely shop at Home Depot.

I'm sorry you took offense RB. Doesn't an electric stove have different size burners that all work independent of one another?

No offense. Sure, electric stoves/ranges have differing size burners with separate temp control for each burner.
My question was about gas ranges and "simmering" burners and why is there any issue using each burner independently at any temp you want?
That was what I heard from the discussion. That gas stove tops act different than electric and thats why I questioned it.
Whats the difference between a gas stove top and electric other than the obvious that gas uses gas and electric uses electricity?
I thought them to be identical except for the fuel delivery?

Not always "minor differences", Andy. My BIL is an electrical engineer and works for a large corporation that, among other things, sets up huge generating systems for businesses. They also make good-sized home generators. When Home Depot tried negotiating with said company to manufacture home generators to Home Depot specs, the company refused to do that. Why? Because Home Depot's differences were to cheapen down the product so much so they could pad their profit margin. HD then planned on selling for the same MSRP. The generator company company refused, stating that if their name was on the product they would not compromise their own reputation by reducing the quality of the generator. Because of my BIL's experience, we rarely shop at Home Depot.

Kohler?

I prefer gas over Electric I think gas cook a whole lot better

I doubt anyone on this forum will disagree with you. :)

You can center a 10" diameter pot on the back simmer burner Kgirl.
However, all of the burners will go down to a very low simmer.
Because of that, I seldom use the little back burner that's only intended for an even lower temp.
Can you explain? How does adjusting a single burner effect the other burners?
I have never owned a gas range. So please excuse my lack of knowledge concerning their use.
No offense. Sure, electric stoves/ranges have differing size burners with separate temp control for each burner.
My question was about gas ranges and "simmering" burners and why is there any issue using each burner independently at any temp you want?
That was what I heard from the discussion. That gas stove tops act different than electric and thats why I questioned it.
Whats the difference between a gas stove top and electric other than the obvious that gas uses gas and electric uses electricity?
I thought them to be identical except for the fuel delivery?
There is no issue with using each burner independently. Kayelle was saying that because all four of her burners can be set to a low simmer, she doesn't necessarily use the one designated as a simmer burner.

My gas stove has a simmer burner that holds a very low flame - lower than the others. One problem with older gas stoves is that the flame could go out at a very low flame or in a breeze. Newer ones automatically re-light it.

The primary advantage of gas over electric is that when you adjust the burner, the temperature changes much more quickly, so you have better control.

That was what I was eluding to CG, in the past I had been told something similar at Sears. The Kenmore brand is actually different other top nation wide brands that have been "cheapened" I suppose is the word.
I'm leery of buying a big ticket item at those discount stores.

You know, it all depends. I've owned several of both Kenmore and Whirlpool appliances and they both come in different levels of trim and features. Kenmore and Whirlpool parts are interchangeable. Build quality is virtually identical. If you buy the top of the line Kenmore it's every bit as good as the top of the line Whirlpool.

Back
Top Bottom