ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My husband and I are going to be moving into a new construction home and I have been dreaming of the perfect range.
So, I put it to the membership here at DC:

Dual fuel: yes or no and why
(I've read that gas is great for the cooktop and electric for the oven for better baking, of which I do a fair amount of)

Gas Range: which brand/model would you choose

I soooo do not want another electric range with that dang glasstop!

I've never used a gas oven before (I've used the cooktop) and I'm curious on opinions about that from those that use them.

Mahalo, thank you in advance to one and all thta respond.

Dual fuel: yes or no and why
(I've read that gas is great for the cooktop and electric for the oven for better baking, of which I do a fair amount of)

I've never used dual fuel, so I can't comment.

Gas Range: which brand/model would you choose

I have a Jenn-Air gas oven/range. I like it a lot, but there are a couple of things I would do differently next time: I got one with a warming drawer, with entertaining in mind, but I think I would get more use out of a double oven where there's a larger one and a smaller one, like this: Don't think twice about buying these top-rated double ovens

Also, it's black, which I like, but the paint around the burners is discolored after eight years of use.

I've never used a gas oven before (I've used the cooktop) and I'm curious on opinions about that from those that use them.

I've been using a gas oven for so long, I can't remember what it was like with electric ;) I don't have any problems with it. I used the self-cleaning feature recently and it did a great job. I like that the elements on the bottom are not exposed; that makes it easy to wipe up the residue.

Last edited:
Another thought: Someone I used to work with told me that when he was considering an expensive purchase, he bought a one-month subscription to Consumer Reports to help in making a decision.

I have an all gas 5 burner Kenmore. Now the oven does have an electronic igniter. Come to think of it, so do the burners. It has two standard burners, one power burner, one simmer burner and the long grill burner.
What I love is no pilot lights.
I did not like cooking on an electric stove.

Another thought: Someone I used to work with told me that when he was considering an expensive purchase, he bought a one-month subscription to Consumer Reports to help in making a decision.

You read my mind GG! Just what I was thinking about that since we'll be putting in all new appliances. I'm sure that I'll have to negotiate a trade off somewhere with the developer on this as well. They include a GE package, don't know exactly what yet, we haven't signed on the dotted line yet, so this is why I want to get all of my duckies in a row, now.

Mine has four burners, including a simmer burner and a 14,000-BTU power burner. I have a cast iron grill pan/griddle that goes over two burners for when I need that much room. Not often since it's just the two of us most of the time.

Kgirl, we bought the gas GE Adora a few months ago when we redid the kitchen, and I couldn't be happier. Maybe you could upgrade on the package they offer for GE? It's a honey to be sure. The new GE dishwasher is so quiet I don't know it's on. Along with the microwave, they are all the new slate color that I love!

img_1440205_0_3155f446e5b9fdaa49fcc6a6b977d787.jpg

Last edited:

Or go to the local library. They still have libraries, right?

K-girl, are you looking for a "professional" range or just a top regular range?

I've used gas almost exclusively. Conventional wisdom is to go for a gas cooktop and an electric oven. I have no issues with a gas oven. Consider fuel costs when choosing. Around here, gas is a great deal cheaper. Temperature control is not an issue with either.

I would go for a range that had one big oven. If you need two ovens on occasion, consider adding wall or portable ovens.

My stove has a simmer burner. While I do use it from time to time, I also use the regular burners for simmering with no problems. The simmer burner on my stove is too close to the back splash to accommodate a big LeCrueset pot.

Last edited:
I don't have any advice other than what's already been mentioned kgirl, just want to say congrats on your brand new home! I hope your move is a smooth and easy one. :)

K-girl, are you looking for a "professional" range or just a top regular range?

I've used gas almost exclusively. Conventional wisdom is to go for a gas cooktop and an electric oven. I have no issues with a gas oven. Consider fuel costs when choosing. Around here, gas is a great deal cheaper. Temperature control is not an issue with either.

I would go for a range that had one big oven. If you need two ovens on occasion, consider adding wall or portable ovens.

My stove has a simmer burner. While I do use it from time to time, I also use the regular burners for simmering with no problems. The simmer burner on my stove is too close to the back splash to accommodate a big LeCrueset pot.

No Andy, I don't think I want a pro-style range, I don't think there is a true vented hood for such a beauty.

Andy, could you share what make/model of gas range that you cook/bake on? And I sort of agree with you about just one oven. The new community that we're looking at has a "community kitchen" if I was in need for more oven space.

...Andy, could you share what make/model of gas range that you cook/bake on?...

My range is almost 15 years old. It's a GE Spectra. Two high output burners, a regular and simmer burner. At the time I bought it, the oven was rated very accurate and was one of the bigger ovens.

Kayelle, I LOVE that slate by GE. My girlfriend in the town that we're moving to is re modeling and put that same package in, but electric and I got to christen it this past weekend. I made us all of nice Italian meal.

I'm glad you've seen it in person Kgirl. That slate color is killer. The only trouble is it didn't come in the refrigerator we wanted, but we went with black with stainless steel handles, and it works well with the slate.
Too bad your friend opted for the electric stove if she could have had gas.
The gas GE Adora has both a regular and convection bake or roast setting.
I don't bake much, but I love the convection roast setting for chicken and roasts. I'm afraid I've never understood why some people prefer an electric oven when a gas works so well.

I have an all gas 5 burner Kenmore. Now the oven does have an electronic igniter. Come to think of it, so do the burners. It has two standard burners, one power burner, one simmer burner and the long grill burner.
What I love is no pilot lights.
I did not like cooking on an electric stove.

Cinisajoy, I don't believe any modern gas stove has pilot lights anymore and all are electric.
I'd guess they could be ignited with a match in a power outage.

Last edited:
I can light mine with a match. Or more precisely a wooden skewer.
Once in a while, the electronic ignition doesn't work.
That is the burners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom