"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2015, 01:05 AM   #21
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,276
K-Girl, I have a five year old LG French door refrigerator. I'm sure the model number has changed over the years, but I don't know if their quality has. I can not recommend LG. It's a bad sign when you open your front door and address the technician by his name because you've seen him so many times.

As far as a configuration goes, this LG actually has very few issues. The ice maker and bin is in the left-hand door panel, behind the interior of the fresh compartment door. The only difference between the left and right doors is a slight reduction in the depth of the door bins. I just put my skinny bottles and jars in the left side, the bigger ones on the right. The filter is in the ceiling of the back-left corner in the fresh food section. It doesn't get in the way either. The only "problem" I had with the ice maker was a stupid repair man. I called to complain about the touch control panel on the outside of the door beginning to bubble. When he looked at it, he decided to replace that PLUS the ice maker, even though it wasn't an issue After he came and left from that "repair", I noticed a few weeks later that the "bubble" on the control panel was coming back...and that it really was the protective plastic they covered it with when it's manufactured. Installer+repairman=Dumb and Dumber.

My freezer has a shallow tray that stays behind in the refrigerator, but pulls out easily if you want it. The deep part is divided in two, side-by-side bins with an adjustable divider. In order to find things easily I "file" my foods as if the drawer was a filing cabinet. When frozen flat, even soup is perfectly happy stacked upright.

This would have been such a nice refrigerator, if it hadn't been an issue with actually controlling the temperatures accurately (47+ in the fresh-food section and melted ice cream from the freezer, anyone?) and the fact that since they replaced the compressor the danged thing ticks loudly almost all of the time when it's running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I guess the long and short of it is we all have an abundance of food that is indeed a blessing.
Amen, Kayelle, amen.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
K-Girl, I have a five year old LG French door refrigerator. I'm sure the model number has changed over the years, but I don't know if their quality has. I can not recommend LG. It's a bad sign when you open your front door and address the technician by his name because you've seen him so many times.

As far as a configuration goes, this LG actually has very few issues. The ice maker and bin is in the left-hand door panel, behind the interior of the fresh compartment door. The only difference between the left and right doors is a slight reduction in the depth of the door bins. I just put my skinny bottles and jars in the left side, the bigger ones on the right. The filter is in the ceiling of the back-left corner in the fresh food section. It doesn't get in the way either. The only "problem" I had with the ice maker was a stupid repair man. I called to complain about the touch control panel on the outside of the door beginning to bubble. When he looked at it, he decided to replace that PLUS the ice maker, even though it wasn't an issue After he came and left from that "repair", I noticed a few weeks later that the "bubble" on the control panel was coming back...and that it really was the protective plastic they covered it with when it's manufactured. Installer+repairman=Dumb and Dumber.

My freezer has a shallow tray that stays behind in the refrigerator, but pulls out easily if you want it. The deep part is divided in two, side-by-side bins with an adjustable divider. In order to find things easily I "file" my foods as if the drawer was a filing cabinet. When frozen flat, even soup is perfectly happy stacked upright.

This would have been such a nice refrigerator, if it hadn't been an issue with actually controlling the temperatures accurately (47+ in the fresh-food section and melted ice cream from the freezer, anyone?) and the fact that since they replaced the compressor the danged thing ticks loudly almost all of the time when it's running.


Amen, Kayelle, amen.
Oh, all in all CG, you wouldn't recommend an LG french door `fridge then?
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
As far as ease of organizing and accessing food in the fridge you also have an option of going shallow and wide. But selection of these free standing (as opposed to built-in) refrigerators in these configs is very limited, although you can buy built-in style refrigerators and use them free standing, no enclosure.
Built-ins are usually no deeper than the depths of your kitchen counter and cabinets, usually 24".

Our 15 yr-old Amana is a full 36" wide but only 26" deep, exterior dimensions.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My freezer has a shallow tray that stays behind in the refrigerator, but pulls out easily if you want it. The deep part is divided in two, side-by-side bins with an adjustable divider. In order to find things easily I "file" my foods as if the drawer was a filing cabinet. When frozen flat, even soup is perfectly happy stacked upright.
Mine is like this, too. I keep breads, nuts, seeds and Parmesan rinds on the top tray, store-bought veggies in the left side of the bin (and a bag for stock ingredients) and homemade ingredients in the right side.

We have our old fridge from our kitchen renovation in the sun room; that freezer holds meats, soups, stews and stocks. And we have yet another small freezer that holds more stocks and several pounds of frozen tomatillos and tomatoes from the garden.

I don't find that I lose things in the bottom freezer any more than I do in the back of the fridge freezer.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #25
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
As far as ease of organizing and accessing food in the fridge you also have an option of going shallow and wide. But selection of these free standing (as opposed to built-in) refrigerators in these configs is very limited, although you can buy built-in style refrigerators and use them free standing, no enclosure.
Built-ins are usually no deeper than the depths of your kitchen counter and cabinets, usually 24".

Our 15 yr-old Amana is a full 36" wide but only 26" deep, exterior dimensions.
We have a built in. Based on the width, it looks big, but really doesnít hold all that much, as itís fairly shallow. Even with just the two of us, it doesnít have much extra room. It can make entertaining a bit of a challenge, and sometimes we resort to temporarily moving things out of the refrigerator into an ice packed cooler. However, it looks really nice with the way the kitchen is designed, which Iím sure is the reason the previous owners selected it.
__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
We have a built in. Based on the width, it looks big, but really doesn’t hold all that much, as it’s fairly shallow. Even with just the two of us, it doesn’t have much extra room. It can make entertaining a bit of a challenge, and sometimes we resort to temporarily moving things out of the refrigerator into an ice packed cooler. However, it looks really nice with the way the kitchen is designed, which I’m sure is the reason the previous owners selected it.
Similar situation with our original built-in fridge the house came with. It can be a challenge if you do a lot of entertaining. But we also kept a small, spare fridge going in the garage.
But when that fridge eventually broke beyond repair we couldn't afford another built-in at the time so instead found a shallow, non built-in Amana refrigerator to slide exactly in that 36" cabinet opening with just the doors sticking out.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
The other reason I brought up shallow refrigerators is because this home is a new construction and depending on the layout the kitchen can come with a recessed nook for a refrigerator instead of an just open corner. You can install a stand alone or a built-in fridge in this nook. Many new construction plans I've looked at on-line include this recessed area, regardless of size or cost of home. Kgirl, what does your kitchen floor plan look like?
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The other reason I brought up shallow refrigerators is because this home is a new construction and depending on the layout the kitchen can come with a recessed nook for a refrigerator instead of an just open corner. You can install a stand alone or a built-in fridge in this nook. Many new construction plans I've looked at on-line include this recessed area, regardless of size or cost of home. Kgirl, what does your kitchen floor plan look like?


Name:   floor plan.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  5.1 KB

This is what we have from the builder, I was trying to figure out what the measurements would be in the kitchen, but not a clue...
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 23677

This is what we have from the builder, I was trying to figure out what the measurements would be in the kitchen, but not a clue...
Is this scanned? It's really tiny. Can you ask for a higher resolution image? I would think you could get the measurements from the builder, too.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,600
I had forgotten that my Maytag frig is almost the same as Kayelle and Souschef's. I am very happy with it and echo Kayelle's comments about the ease of using the bottom freezer. I love the freezer. I had the ice making plumbing taken out because I was on a mission of simplification of everything. That did free up a lot of space in the freezer, but that is not why I had it taken out.

My Maytag refrigerator is MRB2258XES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4041.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	23679  
__________________

__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appliances, refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.