"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
We will be thinking hard about the entire situation and how we will proceed.
I've been discussing all of these points with my husband, and it's all up in the air for now.

So, if anyone understands city water reports, I would greatly appreciate some assistance on that.
I'm not exactly shy, and would not have any qualms about knocking on some doors of neighbors, and asking them what they thought of the water quality, and why. Tell the builder to go to the Home Depot site, all those numbers we gave you are there. He must have a computer for pete sake.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #72
Master Chef

But often, it's best to walk into these model homes and note the builder supplied appliance models installed and also to check for external ventilation yourself. Of course, there may be slight variations with actual appliance models, due to availability, newer model, or whatever, with newer construction.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm not exactly shy, and would not have any qualms about knocking on some doors of neighbors, and asking them what they thought of the water quality, and why. Tell the builder to go to the Home Depot site, all those numbers we gave you are there. He must have a computer for pete sake.
Chances are very good the builder has no relationship or account with Home Depot or Lowes or Menards.
Professionals usually use a supply houses they have an open accounts with. Many also have a disdain for these types of stores.
Home Depot and the others are for DIY'ers in most cases.
Now I do know some contractors that will buy certain things from these places as the price cannot be beat.
You are correct. He should have a computer.

OP. Some years ago I listened to Clark Howard on the radio. He was of the opinion that newer style, high priced appliances were a mistake.
Example: $3000 refrigerator not necessarily as good as the $1500 model.
Don't get me wrong. I too would buy the type with freezer on bottom with double doors. They have been on the market for a very long time now and are not considered untested.
That appliances that have served their time on the market and have had all the bugs worked out was where the consumer should go. Appliances the manufacturer has built thousands of.
Save money and get something that will last.
If I were you, I would get Consumer Reports and see what they suggest.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #74
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Exactly KL! I'm going to do that on my smart phone as I'm standing there with him. I think that he's dragging his feet on giving up and particulars until we make a comment, ie sign a contract, which don't want to do until we are fully informed! (taxes, CFD something new we discovered, HOA fees and what they cover, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
But often, it's best to walk into these model homes and note the builder supplied appliance models installed and also to check for external ventilation yourself. Of course, there may be slight variations with actual appliance models, due to availability, newer model, or whatever, with newer construction.
roadfix, why should I check the external vents? forgive me for sounding uneducated, but I guess I am...
Old 10-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
roadfix, why should I check the external vents? forgive me for sounding uneducated, but I guess I am...
Because most of these salespeople you encounter at these model homes have absolutely no clue as to whether the stovetop vents outside or not....
Old 10-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #76
Master Chef

Of course, this is not to imply that you should base your home purchase decision on your kitchen vent.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:23 AM   #77
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Of course, this is not to imply that you should base your home purchase decision on your kitchen vent.
JMO, but if I wasn't promised in the contract, an outside vent for my stove and all my bathrooms, they could kiss the deal goodbye.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
GG, I tried to explain this to DH and he's not buying it.
"So how come our Kenmore (really a Whirlpool) has had no troubles in 17 years?"
At this moment, would everyone please knock on wood for me?

I did and now I have a headache.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #79
Master Chef

Quote:
JMO, but if I wasn't promised in the contract, an outside vent for my stove and all my bathrooms, they could kiss the deal goodbye.

These community homes are not built to your specs. They offer upgrades but venting is usually not an option. They either come with or without external venting. You either get them retrofitted by another contractor once the home is completed or look for home plans that come with venting. But I don't think that should become your purchase decision.
Who knows, maybe vented homes are only offered on large home plans by this particular builder.....and that's usually the case.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 10-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #80
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Okay, update:
We went back to the community that we've been looking at and we both agreed that the sales person has killed the deal.

We've found another place that has externally vents AND so much nicer!
We will going to look a third locale later this morning.

Tags
appliances, refrigerator