ISO Opinions On Which New Refrigerator To Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
So, going along with the thread that I started on purchasing a new Gas Range, I am going to need a `fridge too.
This is NOT part of our new build; we must provide our own.
Our friends that live in this new part of Arizona that we will be moving to, are just finishing up a kitchen remodel and Mrs. DF fell in love with a GE French Door Refrigerator in the new slate color, just like Kayelle went for.
I LOVE that the french door models give you that wide expanse for larger trays.
Here's a concern that I have:
DH wants the water and ice from the door option and from what I'm reading about the french door models, this will take away from the `fridge space.

I would love to get everyone's feedback on purchasing a new refrigerator.
French door
Side By Side
`fridge on top/freezer on the bottom

I'M SO CONFUSED :doh:

I know this will sound like a strange question but what is the mineral content of the water where you are moving?

Here it isn't worth hooking up the water and ice.

Actually Kgirl, we couldn't get the slate french door one because we wouldn't be able to open the left door completely next to the breakfast bar. They didn't offer a big enough bottom drawer freezer with a one door refrigerator so we got a black Maytag with SS handles that we're very happy with. I personally wouldn't choose any fridge with the water and ice in the door because our water is lousy and and it takes a huge amount of room inside. I don't even want an ice maker inside because of the water. We have a free standing small ice maker in the garage so we can use bottled water to make ice. We refill a basket in the freezer from there. It's actually an ideal set up for us.

I know what you mean CJ..our tap water has so much mineral content, we call it "chunky".

Last edited:
I have a Maytag French door refrigerator and I love it. I have never had a side-by-side and I would never want one. There just isn't enough space for my needs.

We didn't get one with the water and ice dispenser because it takes up a lot of space inside and the salesman said it's a major reason for service calls.

Actually Kgirl, we couldn't get the slate french door one because we wouldn't be able to open the left door completely next to the breakfast bar. They didn't offer a big enough bottom drawer freezer with a one door refrigerator so we got a black Maytag with SS handles that we're very happy with. I personally wouldn't choose any fridge with the water and ice in the door because our water is lousy and and it takes a huge amount of room inside. I don't even want an ice maker inside because of the water. We have a free standing small ice maker in the garage so we can use bottled water to make ice. We refill a basket in the freezer from there. It's actually an ideal set up for us.

I know what you mean CJ..our tap water has so much mineral content, we call it "chunky".
I think we have water flavored limestone.
I noticed something. You are in California and I am in west Texas. It appears that the OP is moving between us. I guess my water question was very appropriate.

I know we have to buy water and ice.

The part number for ours is Maytag MBF2258DEE. This also came from Home Depot. We love the cheese and lunch meat drawer below the crispers that extends the whole width of the refrigerator.
The refrigerator is 33 inches wide and 22+cubic feet.

I think we have water flavored limestone.
I noticed something. You are in California and I am in west Texas. It appears that the OP is moving between us. I guess my water question was very appropriate.

I know we have to buy water and ice.

CJ we are moving from Southern Arizona to Northern Arizona, I haven't check that city's water reports as yet, but I'll add that to my ever lengthening list ;)

I have a Maytag French door refrigerator and I love it. I have never had a side-by-side and I would never want one. There just isn't enough space for my needs.

We didn't get one with the water and ice dispenser because it takes up a lot of space inside and the salesman said it's a major reason for service calls.

GG, which Maytag did you get?

We bought a fridge a year ago. A Samsung French door (21 Cu Ft. as that's the space we have) Because it's a smaller size, there weren't a lot of options available, just a basic fridge with an ice maker.

I don't really like it. The bottom freezer pull out has a top shelf which is half ice maker and half storage space. The bottom is divided in half front to back and DEEP. I spend half my life digging around for stuff I know is in there but has settled to the bottom.

I don't really like it. The bottom freezer pull out has a top shelf which is half ice maker and half storage space. The bottom is divided in half front to back and DEEP. I spend half my life digging around for stuff I know is in there but has settled to the bottom.

Maybe I can help with a hint Andy. As I said, we eliminated the ice maker on the top freezer shelf, and it left us with a lot of available space on the top pull out freezer space, although it might not be right for you. I use the top floor for frozen veggies and cheese. The bottom deep basket is divided in two.
The left is for cooked foods, and the right is for non cooked foods like meat. Works for me, so far. When the meat basket gets too full, it's time to make a meal for room. ;)
I'm just death this time about everything in it's place.

Last edited:
Maybe I can help with a hint Andy. As I said, we eliminated the ice maker on the top freezer shelf, and it left us with a lot of available space on the top pull out freezer space, although it might not be right for you. I use the top floor for frozen veggies and cheese. The bottom deep basket is divided in two.
The left is for cooked foods, and the right is for non cooked foods like meat. Works for me, so far. When the meat basket gets too full, it's time to make a meal for room. ;)
I'm just death this time about everything in it's place.

Thanks, Kayelle. The ice maker stays. It's not the lack of space that's the issue. It's the shape of the bottom bins. They are deep and long so it's hard to organize so you can keep things in some sort of order. I tried to do leftovers on the left and ingredients on the right. Then you get is a situation where you have too many ingredients and not a lot of leftovers. Then there are smaller packages thatn sink to the bottom when you're not looking.

We bought a fridge a year ago. A Samsung French door (21 Cu Ft. as that's the space we have) Because it's a smaller size, there weren't a lot of options available, just a basic fridge with an ice maker.

I'm with you Andy. We had a bottom pullout freezer 2 fridges ago, and we both hated it. We constantly lost track of stuff in it. We now have a basic side by side (with water, cube and crushed ice in the freezer door), plus an upright freezer in the garage a few steps from the kitchen. The best thing about this fridge, when it gets too full we know that we need to put on the brakes and eat from the fridge for a week, and maybe clean out what has gone green and fuzzy way in the back.

Thanks, Kayelle. The ice maker stays. It's not the lack of space that's the issue. It's the shape of the bottom bins. They are deep and long so it's hard to organize so you can keep things in some sort of order. I tried to do leftovers on the left and ingredients on the right. Then you get is a situation where you have too many ingredients and not a lot of leftovers. Then there are smaller packages thatn sink to the bottom when you're not looking.

I guess the long and short of it is we all have an abundance of food that is indeed a blessing. ;)

I'm with you Andy. We had a bottom pullout freezer 2 fridges ago, and we both hated it. We constantly lost track of stuff in it. We now have a basic side by side (with water, cube and crushed ice in the freezer door), plus an upright freezer in the garage a few steps from the kitchen. The best thing about this fridge, when it gets too full we know that we need to put on the brakes and eat from the fridge for a week, and maybe clean out what has gone green and fuzzy way in the back.

We hate our French door fridge with bottom drawer pull-out freezer, and I miss my very old side by side too. DH is not allowed to open the freezer drawer anymore, the air turns blue as he can't find what he wants, and then he can't get it closed.

I also have forbidden him from the chest freezer in the basement for the same reason. I really would like an upright freezer down stairs.

Back
Top Bottom