"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Head Chef
ISO Pasta Maker suggestions

I want to buy a pasta maker. Any suggestions on a particular brand or type? Thank you!

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
I have the brand I'm sure a million other people have, the Marcato Atlas. This is a hand-crank machine and it works very well. I've made a lot of pasta with it and am satisfied with the job that it does for the price. My one complaint is that it is a greasy little devil. It tells you to wipe it down before using and to run a small piece of dough through it to pick up any oil, then throw that piece of pasta away. No matter how many times I use it and do what they say, I get a certain amount of pasta that has a gray grease on it. The problem is tolerable, and as I say, it does a very good job of making the pasta. Just wish it was a little less grubby.

If you can't put it on a plate, it probably isn't all that important.

Slake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
Go for Imperia. One of the Best brands around in Italy. I still use it since '99.
pimpthatfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Master Chef
I've used both Imperia (aka Villasware) and Atlas 150 models and they are comperable - the 150 models are pasta rollers with cutter attachments. They are comperable, and very similar - but the attachments are not interchangeable ... there are some mechanical size differences in the gearing, etc.

One thing you might want to stay away from are the pasta "extruders" ... none of the home verions work worth a flip - and they are hard to clean.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
I have a Marcato Ampia that I acquired from my grandmother. It's pretty oldschool. There's the main crank for flattening and working the dough, and then built into the unit (not removable like many manufacturers make them) are fettucini and linguine dies. I don't have problems with grease and I'm happy with how it works.
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
Do you have a kitchenaid mixer? I highly recommend the pasta plate attachment that you can get for it!
USA Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef
LOL........... I use a rolling pin
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Cook
Mine was a gift: Deluxe Atlas Pasta Queen by Marcato for Himark. It's very easy to use, and the pasta comes out great.
Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by pimpthatfood View Post
Go for Imperia. One of the Best brands around in Italy. I still use it since '99.
Another vote for the Imperia. I have had mine for 20+ years and it's still "ticking." The one "attachment" I would like to have is a motor for turning the crank.

I used to have an Atlas. When I got the Imperia, I gave the other away.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote