ISO Refrigerator Brand Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
It's time to replace our GE refer. The compressor is going and she's over 10 years old.

I don't want to lose any fridge space or width and DW wants ice/water in the door. This pretty much leaves us no choice but a french door bottom freezer model. (ouch)

Anybody have brand reccommendations or bad experiences they want to share?

Anybody have a specific model they have and love? We would like to stay under 2k if possible.

I bought all new kitchen appliances in February. I chose Maytag because of their reliability reputation and they have a 10 year parts warranty.

The week I got it I put in an oven thermometer and discovered it was about 25 degrees off. I called service and they sent someone right out. He not only recalibrated the oven, but showed me how to do it if it goes out of whack again.

We got a Whirlpool french door last year. We really like it, except it likes to fling ice cubes all over. You have to be careful when filling a glass with ice. Luckily the dog's water dish is nearby

I bought a GE Hotpoint that works fine with one major exception that it may be wise of you to look at on whatever new unit you buy.

The "In-Door" ice maker and water dispenser is almost impossible to clean. It doesn't come off without taking the entire door gasket and panel out of the freezer door, and parts of it have nooks and crannies that are extremely difficult to get to for cleaning.

After owning it for about 3 months, I took a light and looked up into the ice maker and saw mold growing. I now have to use extra long cotton swabs and alcohol to clean up in those parts. It takes about an hour every time I do it. A real PITA.

I don't know if they make one that you can take off the door and clean, but if so, that would be what I would suggest.

Last edited:
Ten years ago I bought a Maytag fridge. In the first eight years I replaced the ice maker twice then it broke a third time. I took it out and tossed it.

I'm a die hard Whirlpool fan, but this fridge impresses me. I like the looks and the fact that the water/ice dispenser doesn't take up freezer space! Good job and congrats, 4meandthem!

BTW: your fridge might have been made by Whirlpool!

The Whirlpool Corporation, based in Benton Harbor, Mich., makes Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Gladiator products. The company has gobbled up Admiral, Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, and Maytag and all of these Whirlpool brands account for about 27.3 percent of major appliance sales in the U.S., followed by General Electric brands—GE and Hotpoint—(25.1percent), and the Sears Kenmore (16.7 percent).

Whirlpool makes appliances for Ikea, Sears Kenmore, and side-by-side built-in refrigerators for Thermador.

Whirlpool's certainly not the only Kenmore supplier. Frigidaire and LG also manufacture Kenmore refrigerators, Haier handles some of its compact fridges, and Danby makes some of its wine chillers, and Sanyo builds some of its freezers.

Last edited:
I bought all new kitchen appliances in February. I chose Maytag because of their reliability reputation and they have a 10 year parts warranty.

The week I got it I put in an oven thermometer and discovered it was about 25 degrees off. I called service and they sent someone right out. He not only recalibrated the oven, but showed me how to do it if it goes out of whack again.

When I bought my fridge, I settled on a Whirlpool model at Lowe's. I went comparison shopping and Home Depot had the same exact fridge (very easy to tell because of the style) but with Maytag branding. I went to Sears and there it was again with Kenmore branding, Sears also had the Maytag.

Maytag isn't the same company that it used to be, they are mostly just rebadged Whirlpool. With that said, I like the Whirlpool that I got.

Back
Top Bottom