"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Head Chef

I've got some secrets!!!!

I have been so busy lately you would not believe!

Just this week I bought a very tiny 2 bedroom 1 bath 1930's bungalow cottage fixer upper. It is gonna cost so much to renovate because somebody ripped the interior walls down to the studs in every room but the bathroom and kitchen. There are pipes to fix, furnace, hot water heater, wiring, roof, and just a bunch of stuff.

But the place is cute kinda like a doll's house with arched doorways, wide simple trim [what there is left of it], and for it's size -- lots of windows. I am gonna make it into my version of a rose covered quaint cottage -- on a very strict budget.

The kitchen is pure 30s/40s with the original wood sink wall cabinetry. There is room on the opposite wall for a range and cabinet [Dad has a similar vintage base cabinet in his garage and I am stealing it! On the end wall there is room for my 50's Monkey Wards white refrigerator and a vintage rolling cart topped with butcher block.

When I measured I was disappointed to learn that my Crown 6 burner, 2 oven range is just too long to allow me to have the cabinet beside it. What to do?

Two days after I bought the house, I was driving there and passed my cousin's house. There in the front yard was a 1950's white 4 burner Chambers range - just needing cleaning and in great shape! I examined it carefully measured it [it will just fit], and took off to find my cousin and found out he was selling it for his church. We went back and forth for two days negotiating before I gave him his check for $160 today!

It will delivered to the house in just a few hours! It looks just like this one but with 4 burners and no thermo well!

It's funny, my Monkey Wards refrigerator was given to me by a church; and my Chambers range was practically given to me by another church!

Am I blessed or what?

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Cook

Congrats for the new house ... :) looks gr8 !!!!!

ur blessed :)

Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Head Chef

You really have scored a bargain! My mother had a Chambers stove when I was growing up. I learned to cook on it, and just loved it. My mom's had a well, the broiler and, I think 3 burners. Not sure. It's been a long time. Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck in your new adventure, and may you have many years of happiness in your cottage and enjoy many meals cooked on that wonderful stove.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Head Chef

Oh that sounds great!!! Keep us posted on the progress with pictures please.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
What a wonderful adventure! Isn't it fun "nesting?" Enjoy your new digs and, yes, pictures please. Congratulations.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I have been so busy lately you would not believe!

Just this week I bought a very tiny 2 bedroom 1 bath 1930's bungalow cottage fixer upper. It is gonna cost so much to renovate because somebody ripped the interior walls down to the studs in every room but the bathroom and kitchen. There are pipes to fix, furnace, hot water heater, wiring, roof, and just a bunch of stuff.

But the place is cute kinda like a doll's house with arched doorways, wide simple trim [what there is left of it], and for it's size -- lots of windows. I am gonna make it into my version of a rose covered quaint cottage -- on a very strict budget.

The kitchen is pure 30s/40s with the original wood sink wall cabinetry. There is room on the opposite wall for a range and cabinet [Dad has a similar vintage base cabinet in his garage and I am stealing it! On the end wall there is room for my 50's Monkey Wards white refrigerator and a vintage rolling cart topped with butcher block.

When I measured I was disappointed to learn that my Crown 6 burner, 2 oven range is just too long to allow me to have the cabinet beside it. What to do?

Two days after I bought the house, I was driving there and passed my cousin's house. There in the front yard was a 1950's white 4 burner Chambers range - just needing cleaning and in great shape! I examined it carefully measured it [it will just fit], and took off to find my cousin and found out he was selling it for his church. We went back and forth for two days negotiating before I gave him his check for $160 today!

It will delivered to the house in just a few hours! It looks just like this one but with 4 burners and no thermo well!

It's funny, my Monkey Wards refrigerator was given to me by a church; and my Chambers range was practically given to me by another church!

Am I blessed or what?
congrats!! the oven looks like rachel ray's 30 minute meals oven. thermo well? is that the broiler? it has 2 ovens?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Msmofet, a thermo well could be compared to the precursor to our crock-pot. One of the top units, usually one of the back ones, drops down into a "well" and a pot fits in the space so that foods can be slow-cooked. When not being used as a "well," the unit can be raised to it's normal top level to be used as a normal burner. At least, that's how the one we had worked.

When I was a child, my parents' Frigidaire stove had one and we used it often. It was a wonderful tool.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Msmofet, a thermo well could be compared to the precursor to our crock-pot. One of the top units, usually one of the back ones, drops down into a "well" and a pot fits in the space so that foods can be slow-cooked. When not being used as a "well," the unit can be raised to it's normal top level to be used as a normal burner. At least, that's how the one we had worked.

When I was a child, my parents' Frigidaire stove had one and we used it often. It was a wonderful tool.
wow thats cool. when i first moved out on my own (a long time ago shhhhhhh LOL). i rented a room and we all shared 2 kitchens. one stove had a built in griddle and the other had a built in Rotisserie. does that stove in the pic have 2 ovens? is the thermo that rectangle on the left? rachel ray's looks just like that and the rectangle on the left is a broiler.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Don't know about the ovens, but the thermo well is probably the rear right unit on the stove. If you look at the picture, there seems to be a lid-like thing on it. That's what our stove looked like.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Don't know about the ovens, but the thermo well is probably the rear right unit on the stove. If you look at the picture, there seems to be a lid-like thing on it. That's what our stove looked like.
the lid like thing is probably a broiler. one of the handles on the front raises the lid, you place your cookie sheet in and lower it. on 30 minute meals it looks like the burner is on the underside of the lid. but i am not positive. anywho it looks like a nice stove you have there.