K.A mixer artisan or classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolynnx

Assistant Cook
So I'm going to buy a K.A mixer, and have read many reviews, both on line and here on D.C , I do make bread and heavier cookie dough more than anything else, my question is "Should I go with the K.A classic, or Artisan series" I know the artisan series starts at 300watts and goes up to something like 450 or 500watts , any input would be great, Canadian Tire has the Artisan 300watt on sale for $249.00 but then I saw a classic K.A mixer at London Drugs 250watts for $198.00 , I just need a bit of direction , I fairly certain I'll go with the K.A artisan series , but would love some feed back.
Thanks.
Carolynn :chef:

What ever happens in the kitchen never apologize (Julia Child)

Get the 450 watts if you can find it on sale. Costco sometimes has it pretty reasonably priced. Bed Bath and Beyond has a 20% coupon right now that you could use.

I prefer the tilt head model myself, for many reasons, but many prefer the bowl lift version. Make sure you think about what you are making and which edition best suits you.

One of my requirements was to not have a tilt head. I believe the Artisan has that, but it comes in a LOT of colors.

How much dough do you work with in a go?

You will never regret getting the most power you can afford. You're going to have the mixer for a long time. I firmly believe that the best bargain in serious tools is always the best you can possibly afford. I like the bowl lift - for entirely overanalyzed reasons. If I want high power, it feels like I should have a continuous solid housing, rather than a hinge between the power and the base. But then I've never heard anyone complain that their mixer was so powerful that it ripped itself off the base. I have heard a story about the lift mechanism failing, but I still like it.

If I am not mistaken the Classic has some plastic gears, so it won't likely hold up well to heavy use.

The artisan is a much better choice with the larger bowl, more powerful motor, and metal gears.

I too prefer the tilt head. I like that if I need to, I can remove the bowl without having to remove the beater ( I have used both extensively).

The hinge on the tilt head is very heavy duty, and very stable.

The more I use my KA the more I wish I had the room to have gotten the tilt head.

Must....resist.... All this KA talk has me coveting one. Except I don't bake.

They had some good deals on KA at our local department store....no, nooo....

Last edited:
Must....resist.... All this KA talk has me coveting one. Except I don't bake.

They had some good deals on KA at our local department store....no, nooo....

I used mine to mix my meatloaf last night :D

I don't have one of those, so this probably performs some of those duties.

pacanis said:
I don't have one of those, so this probably performs some of those duties.

Ha! Just looked, and I have a KA, and I didn't even know it! :chef:

(Except it's a hand mixer.)

SO is KA-phobic. She refuses to use it and bought a hand mixer for her use. She was making some cookie or other last week and used a hand whisk to beat egg whites rather than use a mixer. Actually, her arm got tired and she gave me the bowl and whisk to finish the job. Of course I mentioned the KA would have been done quite some time earlier.

I love it for creaming butter. And to think I used to do that by hand. Not knocking our grandmothers, but it turns out so much fluffier using the mixer.

So I'm going to buy a K.A mixer, and have read many reviews, both on line and here on D.C , I do make bread and heavier cookie dough more than anything else, my question is "Should I go with the K.A classic, or Artisan series" I know the artisan series starts at 300watts and goes up to something like 450 or 500watts , any input would be great, Canadian Tire has the Artisan 300watt on sale for $249.00 but then I saw a classic K.A mixer at London Drugs 250watts for $198.00 , I just need a bit of direction , I fairly certain I'll go with the K.A artisan series , but would love some feed back.
Thanks.

What ever happens in the kitchen never apologize (Julia Child)

The Artisan is 325 watts. It's a great mixer, and has a tilt head, which I prefer. I use it mostly for cookies, cakes, etc. If you're going to do a lot of yeast breads, I would go for something with more power.

Please me tell you also used it to grind the meat... :mrgreen:

Nope. I purchased professionally ground beef at a precise 80/20 ratio and supported my small time grocer in doing so ;)
Besides, I just can't justify the money KA wants for its attachments.

Just my opion, but I have A pro 600 and have no complaints! I mix my pizza dough for 30 mins and it never heats up. I don't know about the 300 watt and it seems it would work alot harder. But again, I down't know if its true. I also like the lift feature over the tilt. If I was to bye a tilt mixer, I would take a look at the Viking Mixers!
Although any KA stand mixer makes mixing a pleasure!

got it

Ok sooooo , I got one I'm so very excited , I decided on the artisan 5qt 350watt k.A tilt head mixer, well honestly I didn't get it my best friend got it for me for Christmas.........a little early but I don't think Santa will mind when he see's the amazing cookies I'm leaving out for him LOL
PS: Thanks for all the input and advice , and if you'll excuse me now I have some cookies to bake :yum:

what ever happens in the kitchen never apologize (Julia Child)

That's the size and power I have in a bowl lift model. I mix a big batch of bagel dough (1100 gr bread flour) and it does the job.

SO is KA-phobic. She refuses to use it and bought a hand mixer for her use. She was making some cookie or other last week and used a hand whisk to beat egg whites rather than use a mixer. Actually, her arm got tired and she gave me the bowl and whisk to finish the job. Of course I mentioned the KA would have been done quite some time earlier.

I may be a bit KA-phobic. It's big and well, my hand-mixer can generally do what I need it to do in the time I would get the KA assembled. Plus, I can never get that bowl back in position. That being said, I really don't bake and would likely feel different about the KA if I did - of course, Lucille is Frank's fancy lady. :LOL:

Or I may simply be loyal to my hand-mixer which was purchased for me by my grandmother 30+ years ago. I'm sometimes sentimental in odd ways.

Back
Top Bottom