"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #61
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I do lean toward dairy, especially because of the pasta and ravioli attachments I got.
I suppose this rules out being able to do beef and cheese raviolis. Which do you generally prefer more?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #62
Master Chef

As far as ravioli cheese is more likely, pirogue I make with meat, but those I make by hand.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Aha, that is the trick. I wanted the bigger KA so I can make bread. And though you are correct I would get more use on dairy side except this one thing, bread. Since I do not have parve oven (for those who do not know "parve" means natural, neither meat nor dairy) I have to choose one. (Or maybe I should just buy a parve oven). Sounds crazy but it is a hard decision. I do lean toward dairy, especially because of the pasta and ravioli attachments I got. But, need to make that final decision and take all the parts to mikvah, before I can start using it. In all the truth it is time that I do not have. To even unpack the darn thing.
Can't you use separate attachments for the parve bread and dairy?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Can't you use separate attachments for the parve bread and dairy?
So you would have to have two KAs with the same attachments (one for the meat side, the other for the dairy) of your kitchen? How is it that an oven can be neutral? If that is s/thing you don't want to answer, that is fine. I'm curious. I had friends who kept a kosher kitchen. I don't remember separate appliances, but then, I wasn't usually in the kitchen, I was at the table enjoying the wonderful companionship and food.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
So you would have to have two KAs with the same attachments (one for the meat side, the other for the dairy) of your kitchen? How is it that an oven can be neutral? If that is s/thing you don't want to answer, that is fine. I'm curious. I had friends who kept a kosher kitchen. I don't remember separate appliances, but then, I wasn't usually in the kitchen, I was at the table enjoying the wonderful companionship and food.
I was suggesting separate attachments and bowls for one KA. Seems Charlie also has problems with the oven.
It appears the oven would be neutral it it were not used for dairy or meat.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have no problem answering your question, just hope people do not get upset with the off topic post. The laws of kashrut are very complicated, to say the list. On the top of it there are people with different level of observance and commitment. Which only makes things even more complicated.
To answer your question in shot: For oven to be neutral no dairy or meat product can be cooked in that oven. But you can cook fish for example or bake breads, cakes. The breads I bake, for example, do not have either of those products.
As far as the KA, I am wondering myself if I could have just one machine, but have the same attachments on the different sides. I think this would be the case where I should call a competent rabbi (there are rabbis who are specifically trained to know all the intricacies of possible and impossible kashrut questions) and ask that question, it may solve my problem.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Extra stainless steel bowl and stainless steel beater :KitchenAid KSMC7QBOWL 7 Qt. Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl for KSM7990WH
Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Charlie, you wrote that you do not have a pareve oven. Do you have two ovens? If not, is your oven meat or dairy? Wouldn't it be okay to put pareve bread dough into a meat or dairy oven? I mean, wouldn't the oven still be fine, but the bread would no longer be pareve?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Charlie, you wrote that you do not have a pareve oven. Do you have two ovens? If not, is your oven meat or dairy? Wouldn't it be okay to put pareve bread dough into a meat or dairy oven? I mean, wouldn't the oven still be fine, but the bread would no longer be pareve?
+ 1
But makes life simpler (e.g. less bread knives) if bread is parve.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #70
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I do have two ovens. Makes my life so much easier in one way, more choices, as far as cooking going, but of course more cleaning too. Oh yeah , I do have two sinks also. Yes you can bake parve bread in either of the ovens, but they do become either dairy or meat then.

Tags
ka, kitchenaid