KA Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t think that an “X” in mixer model has any correlation to the gear box cover. In the KP26M1X model number for the Professional 600, the “X” designates plug type [American]. All the mixers that are numbered this way do have all metal gears and always have. [KV25GOX, KG25HOX]

The manufacturing date is a more reliable method of determining whether the gearbox cover [and thus the entire transmission] is metal. If you call KA with a serial number, they can tell you the date of manufacture.

All current, and in fact all KA mixers built since the 1940’s have direct drive transmissions with speed controlled by varying motor speed. A much more effective transmission is one with shifting gears and a constant motor speed. Unfortunately this type of shifting transmission is so costly that it is not found on home mixers. To get one, the cost of entry is about $2000 for a Hobart N50.

I've had my Pro 5 Plus refurb for more than a year, and it is still going strong. I did read the manual from front to back, and operate it at the recommened speeds for cookie doughs and bread doughs.

WTG Tom! I think you'll be very happy with KA mixer. Thanks to mine (I got it last year for Christmas) I have expanded into many realms of cooking. There's a book you might want to get, specifically for your KA mixer. It includes everything from cookies & cakes, to dog biscuits, LOL! Here's a link:

Amazon.com: The Mixer Bible: Over 300 Recipes For Your Stand Mixer: Meredith Deeds, Carla Snyder: Books

Happy Mixing,

Janine

Janine, thank you for that book endorsement ... I have wondered whether I needed another cookbook (who doesn't, right?), but think I will pick this one up and maybe grab a couple as gifts!

All current, and in fact all KA mixers built since the 1940’s have direct drive transmissions with speed controlled by varying motor speed. A much more effective transmission is one with shifting gears and a constant motor speed. Unfortunately this type of shifting transmission is so costly that it is not found on home mixers. To get one, the cost of entry is about $2000 for a Hobart N50.

Unless you buy a good used one like gadzooks and I did! You can get one for between $300 and $600 on Ebay at least once a week.

Well, I did use my new mixer this morning to make a batch of cookies for my daughter. WOW, this IS a nice mixer!!! It has plenty of power and did an excellent job of mixing all the ingredients.
I can see why you love your KA mixer, it is an awesome machine!!

Now, what can I make next????? :)
Congrats on your new mixer, Tom! I got a KA this year, too, and I'm still tickled every time I use it. I'm not as accomplished a cook as most of the folks here, but these are some of the cool uses I've found for my mixer:

It makes awesome whipped potatoes with no splatter of potatoes across the front of my shirt.

It does wonders with a boxed Angelfood cake mix. Really easy and the cake whips ups and bakes up much higher than when I used a hand mixer.

Bread dough. If you don't have a bread machine that you've been using, then you will love making bread dough with your mixer. I would stick to white flour until you figure out if your mixer can handle whole wheat flours. But you can make your dough and then cover it and let it rise in the mixing bowl. My stand by is to then make breadsticks - the fat ones like at Olive Garden. The reason is that once your dough has risen, you just divide the dough into equal portions (8-10), roll into little logs, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. (My kids are into instant gratification.)

There are lots of other things to do but those are the things I seem to do most.:)

Personally, for how it helps me make bread dough, if I don't use it for anything else, it was worth it.

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten a new, or new to them, KA stand mixer. The world will be that much better with more fresh bread, birthday cakes and COOKIES! Happy new year, everyone, and happy baking.

Back
Top Bottom