KA Mixer Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I've had my KA mixer for about a year and a half now. DH says I treat it better than him--It is my pride and joy! Is there any sort of maintenance that it needs periodically? I wipe it down well after each use but wasn't sure if I should be doing anything else.

I don't think there is any regular maintenance to do. It says in my manual, it is self lubricating.

If you want to be safe, rather than sorry, I would have it serviced at a Hobart service shop.

yes, what choc said. i have opened many kitchen items in my life, and have gotten a few sucessfully back together, lol. they require the correct weight of grease or oil, and in very specific spots, so i would let an experienced person maintain it.

my fav story is when my mom bought a brandy new electric knife sharpener/can opener. i fugured if it can sharpen knives, it can sharpen hockey skates. the opening was just a little too narrow, so i pulled the case off and tripped the safety switch and began to sharpen my skates. a few minutes later, the thing went poof, up in smoke. it was a motor intended for brief passes with a knife, not constantly on. the motor coil overheated and burned up.
i put it back together, and told my mom it was broken. i think she returned it to the store as defective. hee hee hee...

I think, eventually, the brushes need changing. Otherwise, I don't even think it needs to be wiped to keep it running like new.

Psiguyy said:
I think, eventually, the brushes need changing. Otherwise, I don't even think it needs to be wiped to keep it running like new.

That is true, but it needs to be done by a qualified person, or you take the chance of messing something up. I forget what you call it.

I just read through the books that came with my KA and there really are no "user" serviceable parts or maintenance except for the pasta roller and I do have to oil that occasionally. The key to prolonging it's life is to follow the instructions to prevent overloading the motor. Look at the recipes for different things and don't exceed the amounts they specify. For example, mine can handle up to 9 cups of flour for making bread ... I wouldn't try to push it to 12 cups.

As Psiguyy said, in time it will need to have the brushes replaced. Heck, it's an electric motor ... that even happens to Hobart mixers. But, as choclatechef was trying to say ..... get it repaired by an authorized service center!!! My Aunt took my Grandma's 50+ year old Hobart made KA to a local appliance repairman a couple of years ago because one day it didn't turn on ... he called her a couple of days later and told her there was nothing he could do to fix it because Hobart didn't make them any more ... so she threw it, and all of the attachments, away.

Michael in FtW said:
My Aunt took my Grandma's 50+ year old Hobart made KA to a local appliance repairman a couple of years ago because one day it didn't turn on ... he called her a couple of days later and told her there was nothing he could do to fix it because Hobart didn't make them any more ... so she threw it, and all of the attachments, away.

:cry: :cry: OMG!!!!! The terrible waste of it all.......

Psiguyy said:

What/where are the brushes? (Sorry, for some reason this just isn't making sense to me!)

The brushes are inside the machine. Don't take the cover off to find out!

If you mess with the brushes, you can mess up the motor.

I've had my K'Aid K45SS for nearly 20 years and no maintenance was needed,
ever. Except keeping it clean between uses. It's really a trooper!! The only thing I replaced on it so far, were the 5 rubber feet in all that time!

And I expect the same with my much newer K'Aid K5SS Stand Mixer as well!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom