"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Sorry Russ, but I just can't see the DLX as being a commercial mixer.
Are you making things up again, Leolady? I never said anything about the DLX being commercial.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
With a number 10 hub hobart you can use ALL of the new or vintage hub kitchenaid attachments from the pelican head slicer to the pea sheller without a problem!
Thanks for the info. I was so preoccupied with the scant 7/16” square drive on KA accessories that I didn’t notice the taper of the accessories’ drive shaft tubes.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
Are you making things up again, Leolady? I never said anything about the DLX being commercial.
Sorry you misunderstood me.

I was referring to my litmus test of mixer durability.

If it is worthy of being a commercial mixer, it is durable enough for heavy duty home use without worry.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Kenwood 5.25 pound max bread capacity?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #35
Head Chef

LOL!

I think they "overestimated"!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #36
Executive Chef

It's /was (De Longhi bought them out) a 1500 watt machine with a 7 quart bowl and a stainless flat beater. Don' know about the dough hook. Sorta looks like a Viking.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #37
Senior Cook

KA is not what it was years ago , my five quart is okay for small stuff ,but the meat grinder is a joke-- the shredder slicer got used just once -it isn't even usable in practice. I have a 12 quart Hobart - I really can do very small amounts well , plus five pounds of fresh whole wheat flour doesn't strain it . that's about 10 one pound + loaves. about 120 butter tarts at a time without getting messy. The meat grinder for it is truely well made and the machine is built to power it . you could buy it and never have to buy another , mine is over 20 years old . And by the way while running top speed you can expect to have a quiet conversation going on- You will want to holler over the KA at top screach-Gage
Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
KA is not what it was years ago , my five quart is okay for small stuff ,but the meat grinder is a joke-- the shredder slicer got used just once -it isn't even usable in practice. I have a 12 quart Hobart - I really can do very small amounts well , plus five pounds of fresh whole wheat flour doesn't strain it . that's about 10 one pound + loaves. about 120 butter tarts at a time without getting messy. The meat grinder for it is truely well made and the machine is built to power it . you could buy it and never have to buy another , mine is over 20 years old . And by the way while running top speed you can expect to have a quiet conversation going on- You will want to holler over the KA at top screach-Gage
Sounds like a great machine. But living in a small house and not wanting to risk having to go on food stamps, I don't think a 12 quart Hobart is practical for me.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Bet you could find a great used one at a good price , many small bakeries and food services have to go for newer ones with safety shields and such-- Do you have KENWOOD or Bosch where you are ?? Also if your interests or lifsyle changes you will mostly recoup your purchase price , you make money when you buy not when you sell. Gage
Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
Head Chef

Good used small Hobart mixers are a dime a dozen at used restaurant supply stores.

I could buy one in a heart beat [12qt] and not pay more than 200.00.