"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

KA Stand Mixer vs. Viking

Okay--I'm planning that my "reward" (I always give myself a reward at the end of a contract) is going to be a stand mixer. I had a KA years ago, but it died. I was "dream shopping" online. I definitely would want the 6 qt KA. I also would want some attachments. Which attacments are your favorites? Are there attachments for the Viking? I couldn't find any? I want to make pasta, grind meat, make ice cream, make sausages, and replace (get rid of) my 4 (that's right, 4) food processors, my 2 noodle makers (maybe I'll keep one for craft dough), hand meat grinder, ice cream maker.

So--which are your favorite attachments for the KA and if you have a Viking, where did you find the attachments and which are available?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have the KA 600pro and love the mixer.

I bought the attachment pack when I got it and have a couple other things too.

The food grinder has done well for first grind of meat, doing a second grind is a bit of a pain as the throat on the grinder is too narrow. I do wish there were better choices on plates as well. I have seen aftermarket plates however.

The vegetable strainer is neat and can be useful when you need that sort of thing. We have squished up the strawberries for Kathleen's wine with it.

The slicer/grater attachment works well, for the things it works well for. It, however, is a pain if you want to shred say a couple ounces of cheese. Need to shred a pound or two, fantastic and quick.

I have the sausage stuffing tubes and will look at a better solution if I decide to make sausage on a regular basis. I could only fit about half a hank of sheep casings on the horns. Because you use the food grinder for sausage stuffer you end up with the same issues of putting ground meat back into it, the narrow throat. For the occasional use it wouldn't be bad, if you want to make many types frequently it would get old. I have the large food tray for it now, we shall see if that helps with the feeding of the meat.

I bought the mixer for one major reason, bread. I use 8 cups of flour at a time when I make bread and it handles that wonderfully. I usually do bread about once a week, some weeks I do two runs. I would have no issue with it doing bread every day.

Viking has a good reputation, but I have never used them.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks--I was wondering about the meat grinder and sausage maker attachments. Probably need to invest in a Tasin grinder if I want to do lots of sausage/meat grinding (which, I do, we feed the dogs RAW so grinding our own meat could be more cost efficient if we get beef direct from the farm, so to speak). Do you have the pasta attachments? I also garden a lot, so am thinking the slicer might be better than the food processor when doing bread and butter pickles.

I toss cheese in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before I send it through the food processor (grater). That really makes a difference. You don't get a "glob" of cheese stuck between the blade and the top. I'd be interested if that changes how the KA works with smaller amounts of cheese.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I have the KA . It is great.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I have the KA . It is great.
What do you do with it? Why do you like it? What attachments do you have (besides the ones that come with it) and which do you use most often?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Grating cheese with the KA isn't an issue other than volume. By that I mean it isn't worth the effort to drag out the attachment and set it all up for a small amount. It really gets through things quick. I do find when I grate cheese I end up with some that won't grate because of the clearance of the pusher to the grating cone.

If you are making lots of pickles this thing would run the cukes like nobodies business. There are only two thicknesses you can do, so as long as one of those works for you then you would be golden. The nice thing is they eject down into a bowl (you can put the mixer bowl there to catch them) so you don't have a FP filling up and needing emptied as fast.

I don't have the pasta stuff, but I have thought about it.

I had a look at the Viking site. The mixer looks sturdy and fairly impressive. I would not like the tilt head though. I don't have the clearance on the counter for that.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Master Chef

I googled Viking Stand Mixer Accessories. The Viking unit has an all metal transmission where the KA as a nylon gear or two. The accessories for the Viking are pretty much that same as for the KA. And just like with the KA, they aren't cheap. But they look like they would fit almost anything you might want to use a power tool for in the kitchen, including a food processor with three discs. I didn't see an ice-cream maker though. I believe one is offered for the KA mixer.

If I were in the market for such a device, I would google search for online reviews of both products. Look for durability and ease of use.

You might also see if Hobart makes anything for the home kitchen. I see a lot of their products in professional kitchens.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

When I just researched stand mixers, before buying a KA, I read that KA changed to nylon gears on purpose, so the gear would fail and save the motor. Prior to that I had read lots of comments on the nylon gears being a bad thing, but I would rather replace a nylon gear than the whole motor and it seemed to make sense.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

The 600 Pro is all steel gears. Some of the smaller ones might be nylon. I think if they are using nylon to protect the motor they should be using different motors.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Cook

Murphy’s first law of mixer mechanics: When something in the mixer bowl stops the beater from turning, the mixer will break.

The beauty of a Nylon and Kevlar worm gear in Classic mixers is that it is a 90% certainty that a single gear [$12] is necessary to bring the mixer back to life.

Considering the reputation that internet conversations have given that “plastic” gear, it made sense from a marketing standpoint for KitchenAid to go to an all-metal drive train in the Professional 600 and its variations. From a mechanical standpoint, it makes a whole lot less sense. Extraordinary circumstances can still result in a train wreck in a Pro 600 gearbox, but you never know what which parts bit the dust until the mixer is disassembled and inspected.. It is highly likely that several parts will need to be replaced-quickly raising the cost of parts to $50 or more.

Tags
mixer