"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Cook

KA Vintage Grinder Attachment Advice

Hello All,

I haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking around. I had a question and I thought some of you fine folks might be able to point me in the right direction. I obtained a aluminum bodied grander attachment for the KA stand mixers. It is in great condition, has its wooden food pusher, knife and 2 die plates. I was wondering if any of you have this same model? I did not take a picture but I found a picture online of the exact same model:

I have several questions: Does this grinder uses the same plates as the current plastic bodied model? Can it use the current model sausage stuffing tubes? If you happen to know the answer to either of these questions or if the answer is "No" and you know where I can find appropriate attachments for this model I would appreciate the information. Thanks,

-Josh hart

Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Josh, I think Leolady here might be of some help. You might wait for her to post here or you could PM her with your question.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Josh, I think Leolady here might be of some help. You might wait for her to post here or you could PM her with your question.
How did you know I would know the answer?

But I think I do. The new grinder plates will NOT fit the old grinders because the new plates have these flanges. But all is not lost.

You CAN find generic grinder plates on online meat processing supply sites online that WILL fit your meat grinder! There was one who, the last time I looked had them.

Allied Kenco
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Thanks for the site, it looks perfect, now I just need to measure the die plates and figure out what size I need. I can't wait to try it out, the plates I have now are fine but I figure I may need other grind sizes, and I want to get some sausage stuffing tubes for it too. Thanks again for the link,

-Josh hart
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Just a suggestion but try to always insert the plate the same way each time. Let the blade always face the same side of the plate or you will get uneven wear and it will lessen the grinding ability down the road. Been there, done that. Now have been using the same grinder for 15 years without problems by following this advice. I had to replace the plate after a few years when I did not pay attention to this.

Shelly
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Sous Chef

And the current sausage tubes will fit it nicely.

Tags
ka, meat grinder, mixer