"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I love mine also, but the newer one (K5SSHW) needs to be repaired on account of the grinder accessory putting too much of a strain on it, leaking meat juices into it and breaking the transmission.

The much older 20-year-old K45SS STILL works fine. A friend for life!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Cook

$130? Wow. We have to pay a minimum of $600US for one over here, and being an 'imported' item, they're *never* on sale.

So for now, I move along with my horrid "4-in-one" plastic jobbie... No planetary motion, no curves to the bowl, no motorized base. It's a PITA to use. But it's OK, because our oven burns everything, so I just don't bake... Sigh.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Executive Chef

My newer one has somehow miraculously healed itself and it now seems to work like it did before I used the ill-fated grinder with it.

It probably needed to dry out from the time that the liquid leaked into it.

Hopefully, it won't have to go to the shop for repairs after all!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadlex
But it's OK, because our oven burns everything, so I just don't bake... Sigh.
Bless your heart! I know what it's like dealing with appliances that fight you. I used to have a stove that I'd bought from a truck salvage store. It looked perfectly fine, except for a small dent in the side. But the durned thing was always blowing out the oven heating element, which had to be ordered. The result was that about half the time, I was without an oven.
Look at it this way...by not baking, you're saving yourself lots of calories.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I Have one. Loved it, at first. It ground meat and chicken well. Produced excellent bread dough, cheesecake and quiche mixing, whipping, etc. I used it maybe 15 times. It took up too much counter space in my small kitchen. I put it in my shelves in my garage figuring I could bring it back in to use. The weight of the thing dissuades me from moving it in and out and I haven't used it in over a year. If you have room to put it where it will be used often it is excellent. I bought mine a few years ago from QVC - online - $139.50 US with shipping.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Yes, these units are very heavy and combersome, even though they are a joy to own and use!

I keep the two K'Aid Stand Mixers in the back room when not in use. The Electrolux Assistant and the K'Aid food processor stay in the kitchen. They also are heavy and combersome. But they also get used the most.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #17
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
Just got my Professional 5 over the weekend and love it. Only made one batch of cookies so far, but the machine performed well and was very easy to use. Runs a little loud, but I think that's kind of expected given the power it has. I'm looking forward to making lots of stuff with it; mainly getting back into baking cookies a lot but more so starting to make various breads.