"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
Sous Chef

It's a beater, like the flat beater, but is configured for cutting pastry dough. It was originally made for the KA G Model 5qt. mixer, and eventually discontinued. Also fits a Hobart N50 5qt. mixer. They are scarce but can be found. I have tried the "B" flat beater for pastry with less than satisfactory results. Either way, I will have one in a week or so, and will let you know what luck I have with it. I was hoping for the benefit of previous experience of others. Thanks.
p.s. photo credit to leolady.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the pic gadzooks. I've never seen anything that looked like that.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
Sous Chef

All my Kitchen Aid attachments (stainless steel) go into the dishwasher. If they don't, they don't live at my house. My KA mixer is at least 35 years old and has been a work horse along with the attachments.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
Sous Chef

The pastry blade came in the afternoon mail, so I haven't had a chance to use it, yet. Now I gotta start saving up my pennies for a stainless steel "B" flat beater. Probably sell one of the grain mills, the roto slicer and and the pelican...oh, well...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
The pastry blade came in the afternoon mail, so I haven't had a chance to use it, yet. Now I gotta start saving up my pennies for a stainless steel "B" flat beater. Probably sell one of the grain mills, the roto slicer and and the pelican...oh, well...
The pastry knife is WONDERFUL, as you probably know by now!

Sell the roto slicer and if you have two, one of the grain mills; but heaven forfend you sell your PELICAN!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I didn't know you could put the attachments in the dishwasher! I have 2 KAs, one with the white attachments, and the other, the metal attachments. The instructions that came along with both said not to put the attachments in the dishwasher, but it seems like it's ok? That could've saved me lots of time washing the dishes!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

If you have to sell the grain mill...I might be interested! The KA attachments work on my Kenmore...What's the Peligan attachment?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for pulling this back up Choco, it saved me from looking for it.

Report: The beater blade is awesome!
I finally got to use it. I just used it to mix up some ground lamb with herbs and some lemon zest. I'm watching everything get mixed together and noticing the clean as a bean bowl sides. I turned the bowl upside down when through and the meat all plopped out onto the waxed paper. Barely a couple slivers of meat needed rinsed off of the blade. Bowl and beater blade went into the dishwasher.
My kind of KA attachment. No fuss no muss.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
The pastry knife is WONDERFUL, as you probably know by now!

Sell the roto slicer and if you have two, one of the grain mills; but heaven forfend you sell your PELICAN!
With an N50, Pelican, and colander/sieve, I have everything I need to open a tiny pizzeria! The roto slicer, one grain mill and the colander/sieve are going. And I'm already eyeing a new stainless steel "B" beater. I should probably be ashamed of myself, but...I'm not...yet. Oh, and yes, the pastry knife is wonderful, and worth the $$$...I've seen them command far more than what I paid. Scarcity, I guess. I also picked up the three-piece pasta sheeter/cutter set at a thrift shop for an unconscionable $5, and am not shopping for the ravioli gizmo...besides, I have the ravioli gizmo for my old hand-crank Atlas Marcato. O, sole mio! I will keep the pelican, as you advise. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #30
Head Chef

Ok! I saved the pelican, now it is time to fight for the rights of the colander and sieve!

You are gonna need it and wish you had it. Don't sell colander!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen